Homemade Tensioner

Ash-Kennard

That looks cool, nice and simple. Looks like you had fun cutting and drilling the stainless. Is it spring steel or just stainless?

It used to be a wilko's 99p hand saw. I couldn't tell you what type of steel it is, its got a very definate grain in it if that helps, if i bend it along the grain it snaps dead easy, but if i bend it against the grain it seems very strong and just bounces straight back into place.

EDIT: I had fun cutting it all out and bending it to shape, but i most definately did not have fun drilling into it :lol: snapped about 12 drill bits :$

Edited by Krisboats

This may seem like a mildly spasticated question but...

Would one of these style tensioners (i.e clamped with the qr) work with a cassette or will it only really work with a singlespeed set up?

Thinking of making one but if it ain't gonna work then fook that shit...

Cheers

Rob

no it wont, the cassette will catch on the bit which attaches to the spring.

Depends how big you make the clamp ;)

In theory you could have a loose joint on the spring at both the clamp and wheel ends so the tensioner can move freely as you use different gears.... but then there'd be nothing to stop it changing gears by itself.

heres my idea please dont laugh :(

basicly it doesnt atatch to anything it pushes both sides of the chain togeather towards the droput to tension the chain wich would make it stay were it is so have a look and dont laugh please i did try :)

myideajv5.png

get two jubilee clips, tie one round your tensioner, one round your chainstay interlocking each otere, will stop it falling out

basicly it doesnt atatch to anything it pushes both sides of the chain togeather towards the droput to tension the chain wich would make it stay were it is so have a look and dont laugh please i did try :)

myideajv5.png

It may work but would be better if it attched to the frame becuase it will probaly move.

Matt Rushton

myideajv5.png

i was thinking of doing something like that, unless your tension is pretty good to start off with, the chain will rub against chainstays

I had a look at Kris's tensioner today, and I have to say what a fantastic job hes done of making it!

He was kicking it left right and centre and it just kept flexing back into exactly the right place everytime!!!!

Was unbeleivable, I would say the tension hes got through using it is the same as (if not better) than my mech :D

Kris make me one!!!!!

myideajv5.png

BAAAAAD idea, ok if u only pull up the botom bit of the chain, but never think of trying to put tension on the top bit, as when you pedal this becomes VERY tight and all that will happen is that it will rip it apart!

Adam

I'm getting together for my bike one of these tensioners which sits on the axle inboard of the drop out. This style I have in mind featuring two sprockets has been done before, but I was hoping to add a few nuances.

Everything is pretty straight forward, with just the torsion spring to sort out now. I've got some torque figures measured from a Rohloff and a mech, and from the typical dimensions I've got a spring sourced which I could order in quantity to help others out who want to try and make their own. I'll probabily get a dozen or so in as the first attempt, so there will be some available to buy at cost price. I'd be quite happy to see these springs get some testing in by a variety of riders. If they prove reliable then that would be useful should I ever get around to releasing a tensioner as a product.

Drop me a PM if you'd be interested in a spring for a couple of quid, and that will give me the motivation to get these on order :)

Steve

myideajv5.png

Its not a bad idea and one which I investigated not so long ago. It was abandoned due to lack of real estate in that general area. You would definitley need to secure it somewhere though as it would move all over place. When tension is applied to the top when pedalling the whole lot would rise up as it floats. Maybe a bit more friction but would work ok. Its not the simplest tensioner but let us know if you decide to make one.

• 3 weeks later...