The Best Rider...

mintsauce

Original Post

29/03/2007 - 8:55pm

Certain people seem fairly disgruntled with the line up for this years national bike show. One question that came to mind when reading the thread about it [LINK] was…

“What makes a great rider?”

I accept this is a vast question that could (and probably will) lead in many various directions so I’ll make a request to keep things simpler. Please complete the following sentence;

The best trials rider at any given time is the one who…

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit

30/03/2007 - 11:15am

Guess I what I was trying to establish in this post is whether the general consensus is that the best rider is labelled “the best” because of his/her skill level or because of his/her attitude/mindset and the affect they have on people around them.

I know that what I wrote was definitely a leading question and therefore it would have been understandable to get answer like; “…can do the biggest tap” or “…can sidehop the highest” But that wasn’t the case at all.

The answers offered speak of;

- pushing the boundaries of what people perceive to be possible in the sport (cal d, ash k)

- Flair and originality in their riding (cal d, ash k)

- Nailing the "standard" trials moves like back wheeling, side hops etc (cal d, ash k)

- Being effortless and in a smooth (Inur)

- Demonstrating differing techniques (e.g. as opposed to only doing drop gaps) (Inur)

- Giving riders the biggest stiffy! But I believe that speaks of being inspired and amazed. (Anal Teflon)

- inspiring to watch (trialsntrials)

- Individuals who really make you want to go ride (samo)

- Pushing their own personal limits (leedstrials)

- Pushing the limits of what is possible on a trials bike (leedstrials, ben travis)

This is a very convoluted way of getting some way toward an answer for a very different question. At the national bike show this year can Ashley Butler or Nadine Staiforth be “the best” rider in any given demo?

There will naturally be some disagreement but I would suggest the answer can be YES.

When I look at that list above I agree with Ben Travis and Nafan that no single rider is going to do all of those things, in the OPINION of everybody, all the time.

However I have demoed alongside both Ashley and Nadine in the past and seen first hand how inspiring Ashley is to other people in the crowd his age. I have seen how motivating Nadine’s riding is to other females. Therefore when I read that list in the context of the target audience that Nadine (Females) and Ashley (11-14 year olds) will mostly appeal to I can say “Yes” they can do all of those things and “Yes” they can be the best riders at any given demo.

Ever ridden in a group ride with someone who is pulling the sickest moves and yet is a complete and utter spanner?? Individuals like that never inspire me and never make me want to go ride.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

30/03/2007 - 11:32am

I guess I should offer an answer to my own question…

The best trials rider at any given time is the one who…

…is having the most fun.

Can anyone and everyone riding at the bike show this year be the best at any given time? I believe so.

Peace

Barlow

Edited by mintsauce

The best trials rider at any given time is the one who… pushes the boundary's of what people perceive to be possible in the sport, has a flair and originality to their riding, whilst they can still nail the "standard" trials moves like back wheeling, side hops etc

The best trials rider at any given time is the one who… pushes the boundary's of what people perceive to be possible in the sport, has a flair and originality to their riding, whilst they can still nail the "standard" trials moves like back wheeling, side hops etc

the coustellier bro's do it for me :$ I havent seen them ride recently but for starters there old coust videos are still inspiring to watch, got them all saved on my lap top and watch them a fair bit, they have such awesome style and technique. I have also heard that they are at a level now thats just ridiculous. And they ride natural :ermm: :$

The best trials rider at any given time is the one who doesn't have to look up what excursus means :(

good call...

x·cur·sus /ɛkˈskɜrsəs/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ek-skur-suhs] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun, plural -sus·es, -sus.

1. a detailed discussion of some point in a book, esp. one added as an appendix.

2. a digression or incidental excursion, as in a narrative.

[Origin: 1795–1805; < L: a running out, sally, digression, deriv. of excurrere to run out. See ex-1, course]

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)

Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source

ex·cur·sus (ĭk-skûr'səs) Pronunciation Key

n. pl. ex·cur·sus·es

1. A lengthy, appended exposition of a topic or point.

2. A digression.

[Latin, from past participle of excurrere, to run out; see excursion.]

Im probably going to sound like a young lad obsessed with a street rider. But for some reason Damon Watson really does it for me. Great style, Technique and ability.

Like i said its my opinion.

Dan................

All i have to do is roll out of bed and go ride to see him, get yourself a house in hull sunshine its for the hardcores ;)

those who have named any rider are just idiots.........jesus christ, read the post will you.

blah blah pushing boundaries of what is possible, there will never be a single rider in the world who is the BEST purely because lots of folk ride different things.

Simple really

It is difficult to define a "best rider" as the dfinition itself is down to perception, for example I am impressed by smooth, bouncy riders whereas my mate loves mental riders who just go mad...

Nathan....