The Best Rider...

mintsauce

Bicycle trials, comes from completing 'trials' (tests) on bicycles. It started at xc and dh comps with riders tryin to tackle balance beams and logs and such. So by definition, the best trials rider is one who can best tackle whatever objects are placed in front of them, whether that be man made or natural. And by that token, it has to be the riders at the top of the comp circuit. Sure there are loads of mega riders who do don't ride comps, but its hard to define who these people are until they are pitted against the best comp riders.

I know we aren't naming names, but I'd love to see the likes of Tunni up against Gilles Coustellier. I've seen Neil sidehopping stuff that Dave Butler was creaming over Gilles touch hopping weeks before. But then I also rode street in Hanley with Gilles and Danny Butler, and I swear Gilles could ride a straight line from one corner of the city to the other! There was virtually nothing the guy couldn't tackle! As an experienced comp rider, he was able to find the smallest thing to get the grip he needed, and usual hit them first time.

Again, by definition, the best trials rider, is the one who is best at trials

In essence we are all just bicycle riders until we compete in a 'trial'

Smithy

To be hoenst I think this is whats putting a downer on trials for me at the moment. It should be about who is the best. That dosen't matter. What matters is getting out on your bike having a laugh with your mates and enjoying yourself.

Original Post

29/03/2007 - 8:55pm

Certain people seem fairly disgruntled with the line up for this years national bike show. One question that came to mind when reading the thread about it [LINK] was…

“What makes a great rider?”

I accept this is a vast question that could (and probably will) lead in many various directions so I’ll make a request to keep things simpler. Please complete the following sentence;

The best trials rider at any given time is the one who…

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit

30/03/2007 - 11:15am

Guess I what I was trying to establish in this post is whether the general consensus is that the best rider is labelled “the best” because of his/her skill level or because of his/her attitude/mindset and the affect they have on people around them.

I know that what I wrote was definitely a leading question and therefore it would have been understandable to get answer like; “…can do the biggest tap” or “…can sidehop the highest” But that wasn’t the case at all.

The answers offered speak of;

- pushing the boundaries of what people perceive to be possible in the sport (cal d, ash k)

- Flair and originality in their riding (cal d, ash k)

- Nailing the "standard" trials moves like back wheeling, side hops etc (cal d, ash k)

- Being effortless and in a smooth (Inur)

- Demonstrating differing techniques (e.g. as opposed to only doing drop gaps) (Inur)

- Giving riders the biggest stiffy! But I believe that speaks of being inspired and amazed. (Anal Teflon)

- inspiring to watch (trialsntrials)

- Individuals who really make you want to go ride (samo)

- Pushing their own personal limits (leedstrials)

- Pushing the limits of what is possible on a trials bike (leedstrials, ben travis)

This is a very convoluted way of getting some way toward an answer for a very different question. At the national bike show this year can Ashley Butler or Nadine Staiforth be “the best” rider in any given demo?

There will naturally be some disagreement but I would suggest the answer can be YES.

When I look at that list above I agree with Ben Travis and Nafan that no single rider is going to do all of those things, in the OPINION of everybody, all the time.

However I have demoed alongside both Ashley and Nadine in the past and seen first hand how inspiring Ashley is to other people in the crowd his age. I have seen how motivating Nadine’s riding is to other females. Therefore when I read that list in the context of the target audience that Nadine (Females) and Ashley (11-14 year olds) will mostly appeal to I can say “Yes” they can do all of those things and “Yes” they can be the best riders at any given demo.

Ever ridden in a group ride with someone who is pulling the sickest moves and yet is a complete and utter spanner?? Individuals like that never inspire me and never make me want to go ride.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

30/03/2007 - 11:32am

I guess I should offer an answer to my own question…

The best trials rider at any given time is the one who…

…is having the most fun.

Can anyone and everyone riding at the bike show this year be the best at any given time? I believe so.

Peace

Barlow

I agree with what Matt said.

Danny Butler

Ashley Butler

Andrei Burton

Martyn Ashton-

Nadine Staniforth

Jack Meek

Matt Barlow

Ben Slinger

Neil Tunnicliffe

Stan Shaw

This is the official line up, according to the post in the link at the top of the page. Right all of these are world class riders none of whom I've heard a bad word said about and we can happily say they represent the cream of the crop of British trials talent.

Yes some of their styles are not as interesting to watch as say that of Danny Macasckil, or Mike (Leedstrials), but if I read the exhibition's site correctly it's a show to demonstrate what trials is. Trials being primarily a competition sport they have selected the m.a.d team and certain other competitors, simple really...

Danny Butler

Ashley Butler

Andrei Burton

Martyn Ashton-

Nadine Staniforth

Jack Meek

Matt Barlow

Ben Slinger

Neil Tunnicliffe

Stan Shaw

This is the official line up, according to the post in the link at the top of the page. Right all of these are world class riders none of whom I've heard a bad word said about and we can happily say they represent the cream of the crop of British trials talent.

Yes some of their styles are not as interesting to watch as say that of Danny Macasckil, or Mike (Leedstrials), but if I read the exhibition's site correctly it's a show to demonstrate what trials is. Trials being primarily a competition sport they have selected the m.a.d team and certain other competitors, simple really...

never heard of matt barlow he got a vid?

The best trials rider at any given time is the one who doesn't have to look up what excursus means :(

so matt made the post to get everyone to justify around-about why m-a-d have picked the riders they did to ride the bikeshow. cunning... :mellow:

Boon you make me laugh! Nah, the only reason I made this post was an excuse to use the word excursus in the first place ;)

(By the way mate, I'm coming home for Easter; fancy catching up and riding Hudds on the afternoon of Fri 14th? Get Mike and the other boys along too if they're not working?)

Barlow

never heard of matt barlow he got a vid?

I've been working on a DVD entitled Consciousness recently featuring Iolo and Will Arnold so I don't have any up to date vids.

Barlow

Boon you make me laugh! Nah, the only reason I made this post was an excuse to use the word excursus in the first place ;)

(By the way mate, I'm coming home for Easter; fancy catching up and riding Hudds on the afternoon of Fri 14th? Get Mike and the other boys along too if they're not working?)

hehe. mate the 14th is a saturday :S i know cos my 21st is on the monday :D

i think i get back to leeds on the 14th from the south (easter) so can only really ride on sun 15th :(

Danny Butler

Ashley Butler

Andrei Burton

Martyn Ashton-

Nadine Staniforth

Jack Meek

Matt Barlow

Ben Slinger

Neil Tunnicliffe

Stan Shaw

I would have to say this statement is false. All great riders - but no way does it totally represent UK trials.

"Trials being primarily a competition sport" - in a way that isnt true anymore. I know alot more people who dont compete regularly than those that do. so adding the styles of a danny macasckil IS correctly showing what trials is. and the whole point of a DEMO is to entertain - and you wont really do better than someone like danny.

just my opinion on the matter

back on topic -

the best blah blah blah - is the one is technically brilliant, smooth, creative, FUN, daring, powerful, and be able to do whip hops or backflips :shifty:

This thread is confusing, and I'm too lazy, but if the question really is 'who is the best rider', then the answer is both easy and obvious.

Chris Akrigg.

A true master of the bicycle. Aside from his non-trials bike riding abilities, he's the only rider I've seen who can do mad crazy street lines that many pro BMXers would be happy with, and then win a BIU national Masters round on the same bike. A truly inspiring rider.

if i remember rightly, the guy did not ask for names. because we get this competition vs street debate AGAIN.

he asked why would you class someone the best

A true master of the bicycle. Aside from his non-trials bike riding abilities, he's the only rider I've seen who can do mad crazy street lines that many pro BMXers would be happy with, and then win a BIU national Masters round on the same bike. A truly inspiring rider.

is the reason we wanted

Edited by ben_travis

Every bikeshow in the past was exellent.

But in the past you had riders which had totaly different styles to each other.

Theres one person u'd have to ask to get a great line up of riders. Martyn Ashton is the main person, plus Martin Hawyes wud also be another. These guy's made every bikeshow a show of all kinds of rider's. Not just the ones which hop to everything.

You need people which have flow and tricks up there sleeves, Just like dirt jumpers and bmxers.

Intresting riding is wat you need.

john

At 'THE BIKE SHOW' in the past we (Ashton/Hawyes) have always tried to represent 'Trials' as best we could. I initially asked to be involved with 'The National Bike Show' but after a few site visits was told that Giles would be running the Trials feature? I have not been approached by Giles too ride at the show and don't appreciatte the use of my name in an 'official' list when i have not been asked to ride. So if you are interested in the line up; please go ahead and mentally delete my name from the 'Official' list as i am nothing to do with it.

Martyn

the best rider to me is the rider who does the following:

Enjoys riding:

Has a good perosnality:

Pushes the boundaries of the sport:

the main person who fits that credential is Kenny Belaey, he is involved with Bike Trial to organise events and such forth, he pushes the boundaries, promotes the sport, has a personality to give everyone and anyone a chance, he is a credit to the sport of Bike Trial.

there is others in this country but on a world wide basis, Kenny IS the best to look upto. Just like in the past it has been Ot Pi, Cesar Canas, Martyn Ashton as these people in the past have DONE things to make the sport "Bike Trial" work and happen.

Waynio.......................

The best rider at any one given time is....one who doesn't realise how good he is, one who doesn't act like a knob and one who can create new lines and moves on "normal" lines

Thats why I like Ali C, because he was doing much more than tgs shite which is SO limiting. Nowadays, when people ask how to do squeakers some people reply with "you don't NEED to know how to do squeakers" and thats pisses me off royaly