Reviews On The Deng Free Hubs

Trialsbikenut

didnt say anything about stuff being solid, i'd much rather to have a lighter, better performing bike that one just looks shiney and colour coded.

The fact they're shiney and colour-coded is pretty much the only thing going for the majority of Try-All components though, to be fair, and I wouldn't use some of the Koxx components even if I was paid to. Their frames were pretty revolutionary when they came out (meaning the Levelbosses), but it seems Koxx have kind of "done a Monty" and rested back on their name a bit to sell products. Just re-badging catalogue stuff and pumping it out at top whack prices seems a bit shitty, if I'm honest.

The fact they're shiney and colour-coded is pretty much the only thing going for the majority of Try-All components though, to be fair, and I wouldn't use some of the Koxx components even if I was paid to. Their frames were pretty revolutionary when they came out (meaning the Levelbosses), but it seems Koxx have kind of "done a Monty" and rested back on their name a bit to sell products. Just re-badging catalogue stuff and pumping it out at top whack prices seems a bit shitty, if I'm honest.

Yeah, true, but that does happen literally daily in the BMX world :P. New products every day from some BMX brand, most likely either a spawn-off of Odyssey forks or a rebranded Midkit. :turned:

It's not that bad, but when the price goes up drastically like Monty did to 'their' ACS Claws freewheel... that was just ridiculous.

i just think personally people should avoid deng like the plague, poor quality parts aimed at kids who prefer shiney things to good performance parts.

Thats not a fair thing to say at all, alot of his parts are strong as hell and prety good value to. I'm still noobie to trials but his freehubs are the only part i've heard bad things about. i ride alot of deng parts and never had problems. so whats poor quality then?

Kerians was amazing.

Never skipped and loud.

Some people have good luck some dont?

it only skipped like twice when i had it, the problem with the silver gu one in the pics is it is laced onto a stock wheel which can cause problems, but from my experience with them they are fine.

Adam

EDIT: just realised they make stock hubs aswell lol

Edited by pitbull-91

absolute balls mark!

From what I see koxx and monty are the companies pushing the boundaries more than anyone else. Fair enough maybe a few small companies come out with a really cool idea now and again (hoffmann???) but monty and even more so koxx are the ones doing it consistently. Fair enough the aesthetics of monty's havn't changed much over the years, but then we are only generally seeing production models, and the odd prototype, I'd imagine (or maybe i'd like to imagine ;)) there are a fair few crazy looking bike's hanging around in the monty factory, ideas that we never got the chance to see.

Koxx obviously show off all their crazy ideas, that big long white dildo bike. Hermance's new bike, the hydroxx mod, and more recently the hydroxx stock. Are there any other trials bike's out there that are using hydroformed tubing? What about to the extent koxx have, and are those others produced in the number's koxx will probobly end up selling?

Monty have that new mod thing that with the funny top tube, I admit it doesn't cost money to come up with ideas, but it does cost money to implement them and refine them to something rideable.

I duno, im obviously biased as im more into the comp scene which is what monty and koxx generally cater for, deng is a street rat. who seems to copy other's ideas and make them slightly better.

never rode one properly, but have not heard anything good about them.

Maybe you should read all the comments in this thread then?

It's a gamble, but at the end of the day - "you get what you pay for". (I've just realised that's such a stupid saying, of course you do!)

i just think personally people should avoid deng like the plague, poor quality parts aimed at kids who prefer shiney things to good performance parts.

If people did avoid deng stuff i reckon about 80% of the forum wouldn't be riding the frames they have now :lol:

Totally agree with what jake says, and i would have said it myself if he hadn't beaten me to it :angry: ..... ^_^

Ive just looked at every deng freehub on tarty and the adamant ones look realy good . these hubs have more metal surounding the housing that the other deng hubs wich means it should be alot stronger. As for people complaingin theres skip i dont see why they would be realy crap the internals are almost identicle to a profile hub. it would be interesting to hear from dave tarty or a echo suplier to find out if the hub internals are suplied greased in wich case degreasing the internals would make it more reliable , I have found this true with profiles if u run them bone dry they work mint but when the cassete is unacsesable they are poo .

just my imput .

selectdykes gave me one to test for 2 months and i got on very well with it, not a problem at all? andre burton is now using it with no porblems.

and no to sound like im bragging but im not an inexperainced rider i DO put alot of stress on free hubs.

im getting another one for my stock.

absolute balls mark!

From what I see koxx and monty are the companies pushing the boundaries more than anyone else. Fair enough maybe a few small companies come out with a really cool idea now and again (hoffmann???) but monty and even more so koxx are the ones doing it consistently. Fair enough the aesthetics of monty's havn't changed much over the years, but then we are only generally seeing production models, and the odd prototype, I'd imagine (or maybe i'd like to imagine ;) ) there are a fair few crazy looking bike's hanging around in the monty factory, ideas that we never got the chance to see.

Koxx obviously show off all their crazy ideas, that big long white dildo bike. Hermance's new bike, the hydroxx mod, and more recently the hydroxx stock. Are there any other trials bike's out there that are using hydroformed tubing? What about to the extent koxx have, and are those others produced in the number's koxx will probobly end up selling?

Monty have that new mod thing that with the funny top tube, I admit it doesn't cost money to come up with ideas, but it does cost money to implement them and refine them to something rideable.

I duno, im obviously biased as im more into the comp scene which is what monty and koxx generally cater for, deng is a street rat. who seems to copy other's ideas and make them slightly better.

Monty's design for their flagship bike, the X-Lite221, has hardly changed at all in pretty much the last decade. Compare the rate of change of the Python to that, almost every year it's changed, and look at how many of them have broken compared to how many X-Lites break? The CNC'd stuff that Deng's doing is inspiring other companies to do it - note how after Deng CNC'd the crap out of every bike part out there, Koxx seemed to follow suit? Stuff like the CNC'd crowns Deng did were pretty cool, his cranks (apart from the threads which are, or used to be, toss) are pretty different and coming up with new stuff (Unlike the Try-All branded FSA shit they pumped out...), the rim brakes are a novel idea even if they're still relatively untested by the public, the new freehubs are a good idea but are still a bit sketchy perhaps, the stems and bars they produce are some of the best out there, and so on. Deng has all those different companies and revises the range at least once a year, often releasing new parts just randomly throughout the year. Monty seem to maybe change up the colourways every now and again, but don't really come up with many new products. Same kinda goes for Koxx, although recently they've been churning out frames quite a lot. It's still not the amount of innovation you get from Deng though. Look past the fact that when a product's released on each brand it's the same thing on each but with slightly different logos - the product itself is still new, and that's the point I'm trying to make. They're also way more affordable, and seem to out-last most of the more expensive stuff. To be fair, as well, a lot of comp riders still run a lot of Deng parts on their bikes?

Ive just looked at every deng freehub on tarty and the adamant ones look realy good . these hubs have more metal surounding the housing that the other deng hubs wich means it should be alot stronger. As for people complaingin theres skip i dont see why they would be realy crap the internals are almost identicle to a profile hub. it would be interesting to hear from dave tarty or a echo suplier to find out if the hub internals are suplied greased in wich case degreasing the internals would make it more reliable , I have found this true with profiles if u run them bone dry they work mint but when the cassete is unacsesable they are poo .

just my imput .

Fractional changes in the designs of stuff can radically change the way they work. One of the Tensile freewheels had some of the pawl carriers slightly machined out of place, and it skipped loads. When I got a properly done one, it didn't skip at all. We're talking complete different hubs with the Profile/Deng ones, not just slight machining changes. Changes even down to the shape of the tips of the pawls make a huge difference to a hub's performance, even.

You've got to look at how many people in here are saying they're having problems with the hubs.

People can (and have) come on here and said "Well mines been fine" thinking to themselves, if mines fine, you can't be looking after them proberly.

I know for a fact that one poster in here used a dica freewheel for god knows how many years, and we all know those freewheels are shit.

There's more than a handful of people in here alone who've had problems, and i've never heard of profiles skipping badly (there's lots of problems with bearings and what not though).

If the price difference between a profile and a deng up is n/a, i wouldn't even consider a deng hub.

Edited by JT!

Monty's design for their flagship bike, the X-Lite221, has hardly changed at all in pretty much the last decade. Compare the rate of change of the Python to that, almost every year it's changed, and look at how many of them have broken compared to how many X-Lites break? The CNC'd stuff that Deng's doing is inspiring other companies to do it - note how after Deng CNC'd the crap out of every bike part out there, Koxx seemed to follow suit? Stuff like the CNC'd crowns Deng did were pretty cool, his cranks (apart from the threads which are, or used to be, toss) are pretty different and coming up with new stuff (Unlike the Try-All branded FSA shit they pumped out...), the rim brakes are a novel idea even if they're still relatively untested by the public, the new freehubs are a good idea but are still a bit sketchy perhaps, the stems and bars they produce are some of the best out there, and so on. Deng has all those different companies and revises the range at least once a year, often releasing new parts just randomly throughout the year. Monty seem to maybe change up the colourways every now and again, but don't really come up with many new products. Same kinda goes for Koxx, although recently they've been churning out frames quite a lot. It's still not the amount of innovation you get from Deng though. Look past the fact that when a product's released on each brand it's the same thing on each but with slightly different logos - the product itself is still new, and that's the point I'm trying to make. They're also way more affordable, and seem to out-last most of the more expensive stuff. To be fair, as well, a lot of comp riders still run a lot of Deng parts on their bikes?

But that not what you said. You said they were relying on their name to sell stuff and that it was a shitty approach. Koxx do the yabaa stuff too, the bows the cheap copies of the levelbosses at entry level prices.

Koxx have recently brought out the following:

20" XTP long & short versions

Karbon

Wasp

Koxx Coustellier

KSAS

Derangboy (i thought this was dangerboy :S)

The vinco Excessboy

Kirl

The hydroxx frames

The "kamel"

The crazy, hippy, flowered coloured thing (don't know what frame that ended up being, dual top tube one)

Yabaa bow

Cheaper Levelboss bikes

Dengs brought out:

Updates on existing frame he's been doing for a while; Pitbull, python, Control, adamant A1, GU, Lite, Team and echo pure.

Recently released the A3

Done the mod-stock things on the pitbull, control and adamant lines.

Koxx have definately done more with regards to R&D on frames, maybe this is their main concern with the amount of parts already available. Theres also the 108.9 click freewheel, the new ranges of bars (rage ones look very very good), fluro and mirror Rims, Peddles, Ti Bolts :lol:, Helmets, Headset, Gloves.

Theres a lot of stuff there thats been overlooked, and enough stuff to prove that they've hardly "done a monty". How many clothes ranges and helmets has deng done? New frames?

Lets face it, he's got a lot of products, but their all the same thing with just slight cosmetic changes.

• 3 months later...
its all just taiwanese crap out of a catalogue

In my experience Taiwanese made products have been generally better than the uk and usa made stuff.

deng freehubs are the SHITTEST HUBS EVER, the teeth are GLUED IN

wrecked one in two days and another in four

GLUED IN, explain for me?

In my experience Taiwanese made products have been generally better than the uk and usa made stuff.

GLUED IN, explain for me?

I don't know a a simpler way of putting it, erm you know the pawls that hit the teeth to allow connection, well the set of teeth are not machined into the hub but glued in (well that was the case for both of my hubs)

so when the glue decides to give up, you send it back, get another peice of shit

OR

glue it again and invalidate the warranty

Edited by afroman

Wasn't expecting such a statement from you Mark (unless i misunderstood you), Koxx was the first to introduce a frame with loads of CNC - the XTP. I'm pretty sure it was introduced in 2004, had double CNC'd chainstay yokes, CNC'd dropouts and a CNC head tube which Deng copied from Koxx and not the other way round. At that time, I don't think Deng used any CNC in his frames.

And again Koxx was the first to introduce CNC'd hubs which cost an absolute fortune back then. Deng copies everything around him - look at the old Czar frames, 48EP freehubs, or the Echo brake, or even the Coustellier St. Blaise which almost ended up with him getting sued.

Deng just made CNC popular, it's not like he was the first to think of using that technology. On the other hand, he was probably one of the first to use Hydroforming.

And finally, if I were to choose between 1 free Koxx or 3 free Deng bikes, I'd choose a Koxx. Whoever has ridden one of their fairly new designs (not thinking of the 1100 levelboss :D) will agree that they are one of the best riding bikes no matter what geometry they have. You can actually feel their bikes have character and aren't just a big chunk of aluminum and rubber. That's right, I'm not a fan of Deng bikes, even though I've had well over 10 of his frames. All the i-sidehop-most-of-the-time 15 year old mod riders - feel free to slate me for that statement, i don't care.

Wasn't expecting such a statement from you Mark (unless i misunderstood you), Koxx was the first to introduce a frame with loads of CNC - the XTP. I'm pretty sure it was introduced in 2004, had double CNC'd chainstay yokes, CNC'd dropouts and a CNC head tube which Deng copied from Koxx and not the other way round. At that time, I don't think Deng used any CNC in his frames.

And again Koxx was the first to introduce CNC'd hubs which cost an absolute fortune back then. Deng copies everything around him - look at the old Czar frames, 48EP freehubs, or the Echo brake, or even the Coustellier St. Blaise which almost ended up with him getting sued.

Deng just made CNC popular, it's not like he was the first to think of using that technology. On the other hand, he was probably one of the first to use Hydroforming.

And finally, if I were to choose between 1 free Koxx or 3 free Deng bikes, I'd choose a Koxx. Whoever has ridden one of their fairly new designs (not thinking of the 1100 levelboss :D) will agree that they are one of the best riding bikes no matter what geometry they have. You can actually feel their bikes have character and aren't just a big chunk of aluminum and rubber. That's right, I'm not a fan of Deng bikes, even though I've had well over 10 of his frames. All the i-sidehop-most-of-the-time 15 year old mod riders - feel free to slate me for that statement, i don't care.

This man speaks true and from the heart. 8 badgers now in total. :badger:

If you go on like this Inur you will be up for seniorship soon.

I really know what you mean in the last bit. My mate bought a brand new XTP Marko Hoesel thing. I thought it would ride like his Monty, but it felt so much stiffer and the geometry is perfect, I couldn't fault it apart from the WANK Try-All freewheel.

i've had an adamant freehub since september, never serviced it, never skipped, no problems. very firm engagement aswell. it also looks like a king from farl.

BTW. its green lol

still no service, still no skips, still sounds like profile, bearings couldn't be smoother...no complaints at all..

nearly a year now, now service and no problems, best component i've ever bought for my bike