Near Death Experience

Martin t

Ha ha, your brake pad broke, unlucky. Seen quite a few powerpad backings die so its not suprising.

Hardly a near death experience though... that sort of thing is reserved for people falling off cliff's and being in car wrecks.

I'd say this is a classic case of dramaticusofthebigafatqueenus, aka... being a drama queen.

So your pad broke, next time ring the place you bought it from and ask for advice, then get them to send it to the manufacturer for a replacement on warranty. Or fix it yourself. Theres no point coming on here looking for sympathy... we've all broken things... its part and parcel of doing an extreme sport. You weren't hurt and it isn't hard to fix. I don't see what your making a fuss about.

If people posted everytime there bike went wrong and they had a " near death experience" then there might aswell be a seperate area on forum specially for it. It happens to us all but no need to have a big rave about it. Yes it was unfortunate it happen but no need for a topic with pictures and shit is there. Just fix your bike and go back out riding.

And theres not much to think about as to why it happen is there, rockpads dont use powerpad backings they use shit ones theres your problem. Get some powerpads backing form other pads and stick the material in problem solved.

You just don't get it do you?

This forum has a shit load to do with product development in trials, of course manufacturers don't see it as the be all and end all, but we all know deng is watching, he changed his '07 line up because of things that were said here and on OTN.

If whoever is making rockpads looks in here or hears about this, they should endeavor to fix the problem, eliminating the chances of this happening again. At £18 a pair, rockpads arn't cheap. This has NOT happened to us all.

Your post's piss me off because you are full of shit.

dsc00348ni2.jpg

dsc00349xt6.jpg

Freakin scary, was lucky it snapped on a tap and not on a railgap or something...

Tarty, do i get new ones now they are about 1,5month old and this has never happend to me before :o

Yeh, that's a 'fuss'.

I'd like to see your description of a fight, a staring match perhaps??

And theres not much to think about as to why it happen is there, rockpads dont use powerpad backings they use shit ones theres your problem. Get some powerpads backing form other pads and stick the material in problem solved.

Well the new ones use powerpads backings.....

You just don't get it do you?

This forum has a shit load to do with product development in trials, of course manufacturers don't see it as the be all and end all, but we all know deng is watching, he changed his '07 line up because of things that were said here and on OTN.

If whoever is making rockpads looks in here or hears about this, they should endeavor to fix the problem, eliminating the chances of this happening again. At £18 a pair, rockpads arn't cheap. This has NOT happened to us all.

Your post's piss me off because you are full of shit.

Yeh, that's a 'fuss'.

I'd like to see your description of a fight, a staring match perhaps??

I understand what your saying about product development and agree with that, but i cant see rockpads doing much about this unless they are prepaired to make cnc'ed backings. Obviously they didn't put much time into looking at backings as they started off using crap ones which wobbled like a bitch in the caliper. They have gone to powerpad backings now so obviously they feel that they have solved that problem.

But the whole it was a near death experience crap is just going over board and looking for some sympathey, it wasnt a near death experience at all he was doing a tap, yeah it could of gone wrong badly but it didn't so the lad needs to get over it. My chain came off going off a wall i broke my rist do i get to say thats a near death experience, my mates frames snapped clean in half doing a tap his frame could of impailed him tht could of been a near death experience but it didn't so it wasn't.

"I'd like to see your description of a fight, a staring match perhaps??" can i ask what are you on about.

Edited by andy h

this happened cos these ar the old uns by the looks of it, no the ones wi powerpad bakkings

i use rockpads, and wen the first uns came out in sum shit unnamed bakkings i snapped a few pair like this :blink:

new uns ar in powerpad backings

Tarty will probs help out, they r sorted wi stuff like this :)

I understand what your saying about product development and agree with that, but i cant see rockpads doing much about this unless they are prepaired to make cnc'ed backings. Obviously they didn't put much time into looking at backings as they started off using crap ones which wobbled like a bitch in the caliper. They have gone to powerpad backings now so obviously they feel that they have solved that problem.

But the whole it was a near death experience crap is just going over board and looking for some sympathey, it wasnt a near death experience at all he was doing a tap, yeah it could of gone wrong badly but it didn't so the lad needs to get over it. My chain came off going off a wall i broke my rist do i get to say thats a near death experience, my mates frames snapped clean in half doing a tap his frame could of impailed him tht could of been a near death experience but it didn't so it wasn't.

"I'd like to see your description of a fight, a staring match perhaps??" can i ask what are you on about.

The last comment was aimed at kris, who said that he made a 'fuss' about it. He wrote two lines, hardly a fuss? The 'fuss' has been created by people bitchin about his choice of topic title, which is just typical of the people on here.

Fair enough, he didn't use a 100% descriptive topic title, he may have blew it out of proportion somewhat, but that's not the point of the thread. It's clear now that rockpads did infact change their backing's because of this. I for sure didn't know about this problem, so at least one person has found out something new here which could possibly stop me from getting hurt.

Yes trials is dangerous, no one is denying that. We try to eliminate all chances of mechanical failure while maintain an acceptable weight on our bikes, I run a KMC chain when a cheap ass £3 from halfords one would do, but I wish to eliminate the chances ball/stem interface or face/ground. Anyone who is using these pads with the old backing's who sees this thread will now know that it's probobly a good idea to switch the material into some powerpad backing's to try and stop this happening to them.

Is that not a good thing?

EDIT: ash, my eye's seem to fail me this morning, where is this bitching?

Edited by jake1516

stupid morons makes me angry.

you are making me angry

how did this guy become a member?

Ha ha, your brake pad broke, unlucky. Seen quite a few powerpad backings die so its not suprising.

Hardly a near death experience though... that sort of thing is reserved for people falling off cliff's and being in car wrecks.

I'd say this is a classic case of dramaticusofthebigafatqueenus, aka... being a drama queen.

So your pad broke, next time ring the place you bought it from and ask for advice, then get them to send it to the manufacturer for a replacement on warranty. Or fix it yourself. Theres no point coming on here looking for sympathy... we've all broken things... its part and parcel of doing an extreme sport. You weren't hurt and it isn't hard to fix. I don't see what your making a fuss about.

agreed a lot of fuss over nothing, his pad backing broke and he could of really hurt himself.. how many people nearly 'really' hurt themselves riding?

I don't expect my brake to slip, but it happens and you haven't died. It's not like you were totally brakeless, you said only one pad snapped. This exact problem happened to a friend of mine with some heatsink pads and he didnt rave about almost dieing, the one pad he did still have still rubbed. He was gapping, he fell off, he didn't die. Infact he felt the bike flicking out and jumped off the back. How about we hype up your story some more like your steerer tube snapped while gapping over a 20ft drop.

I'm not sorry if that sounds like a rant but to be honest, it annoys me when people claim they could of died because of something that's happened to 20 other people.

I see where your coming from, its happened to me a couple of times, not that bad really. Its kind of like saying walking down the street was a near death experience becuase a chav on a moped could have ran you over.

Ok, its bad this happened, and no one wants brake failure, at any point.

2 things I dont get:

1) How can you convey brake slipping to be the same as brake failure?

When you go for a gap, you dont quite make it, your brake slips. There is still an amount of friction, and you still remain mostly in control of your bike.

Same if your brakes just a bit shit, you still slow down, and you can still control yourself.

How is this in any way the same as failure. You ride, and rely on your brake, it fails, there is no friction, you have no control about whats going to happen, as your not slowing down.

I have had this experience with rimjams. Got a brand new set, 20 mins after riding them, the pads had cooked, the material whent black and crumbled out of the backing. This happened while I was gapping to the side of a skip, my brake FAILED and I stacked hard.

My new onza citrus pad slip, they dont seem to lock aswell as previous pads ive owned, I can gap to rails ect, and when they slip, i still have enough time to stick a foot out.

2) why, when someone has payed good sterling for an set of pads, should it be down to them, after failure, to fix the problem??

There has been numerous post saying "stop being a twat, stick some iffernt backings on"

Where is the logic in that? Sure thats a fine thing to do if you require to improve something thats working, but why should it be down to the comsumer to fix a broken product?

You wouldnt by a new car, sat Ford ST, drove down the road, and the engine blows up. Take it back to the dealer and they say "ah go and stick a merc engine in it, we dont care"

or "ah its a volvo engine, go complain to them"

there is a thing called consumer law. It doesnt matter who made what part of a product, the retailer must provide warrenty for said product. And, from my own experience, im sure Tartybikes will .

So make today that little bit better, stop being so f**king stupid

Ok, its bad this happened, and no one wants brake failure, at any point.

2 things I dont get:

1) How can you convey brake slipping to be the same as brake failure?

When you go for a gap, you dont quite make it, your brake slips. There is still an amount of friction, and you still remain mostly in control of your bike.

Same if your brakes just a bit shit, you still slow down, and you can still control yourself.

How is this in any way the same as failure. You ride, and rely on your brake, it fails, there is no friction, you have no control about whats going to happen, as your not slowing down.

I have had this experience with rimjams. Got a brand new set, 20 mins after riding them, the pads had cooked, the material whent black and crumbled out of the backing. This happened while I was gapping to the side of a skip, my brake FAILED and I stacked hard.

My new onza citrus pad slip, they dont seem to lock aswell as previous pads ive owned, I can gap to rails ect, and when they slip, i still have enough time to stick a foot out.

2) why, when someone has payed good sterling for an set of pads, should it be down to them, after failure, to fix the problem??

There has been numerous post saying "stop being a twat, stick some iffernt backings on"

Where is the logic in that? Sure thats a fine thing to do if you require to improve something thats working, but why should it be down to the comsumer to fix a broken product?

You wouldnt by a new car, sat Ford ST, drove down the road, and the engine blows up. Take it back to the dealer and they say "ah go and stick a merc engine in it, we dont care"

or "ah its a volvo engine, go complain to them"

there is a thing called consumer law. It doesnt matter who made what part of a product, the retailer must provide warrenty for said product. And, from my own experience, im sure Tartybikes will .

So make today that little bit better, stop being so f**king stupid

Thankyou very much for your support! Finally somebody you gets the deal.. (Y)

Everything in this thread has been blown out of all proportion, fact. Okay you nearly died, I'll admit it you nearly passed away. Watch out next time you cross the road because a car might actually drive past. If you want to be so petty, I can get the guy whose brake pad snapped off to actually post in here and admit himself that his brake still worked when his pad snapped.

p.s I think the word slipping is used in terms of loss of friction, so when your brake slips, there is no friction so I cant see how you can be under control. Ofcourse there will be times when the brake doesn't slip so much but other times it will slip alot and cause you to fall off.... do you nearly die? Hardly. I feel like I'm still at work explaining to remedial Tesco customers why we are out of stock of milk. trials_pimp I really can't see how you can portray this problem as equal to a car engine exploding. I would really like to see somebody start on you, god knows what you'd tell the police. Maybe that they raped you and attempted to burn your house down. It's exactly how your coming across, maybe your going to give up trials riding altogether? You never know when your chains going to snap and you could almost die again.

yes I had a shit day at work, and it's a shame that this thread is like a load of Tesco customers complaining about how the wobbly wheel on the trolley could cause them to be run down by a train. Who gave birth to these people?

thats because its the same f**king principal.

No mateer how much money you spend on something, if it fails in its purpose, then it need to be replaced.

This is what im trying to put into perspective.

Be it a £18 set of pads, or a £25000 car.

There are so many people on here saying that its down to the rider to fix the problem, but it isnt.

Point case, my focis story.

No matter who makes the product, its not a case of fix it yourself and f**k off, its a case of the manufacturer replacing the faulty part, then reveiwing it and making the appropriate decisions.

f**k me, id hate to see you buy a toaster, have it now work and try fix it yourself. Same prospect with pads. I really dont get why there are so many people having a hard time understanding that.

Also theres a massive deal between slip and complete failure.

Slip, ie partial loss of friction, When your brake slips on something you dont loose all braking, just the main bite.

If your brake fails youd know about it, there will be no friction.

And before you try and lecture me on trials again, just remember, ive been riding trials long before you could even say the word bike.

So I do belive I know what the f**k im on about

still people are arguing wether this was, or wasn't a 'near death experiance'????

Are we not beyond that?

Scopse, if someone came to you in tesco's, and said 'my trolley wheel is loose, it caused the trolley to run over my foot, that could have broken my toe' would you start telling them how thick they are because while in theorey their toe could be broken, the likelyhood of it is very slim?of course You wouldn't, you'd say 'sorry madam, let me get you a replacement', and you'd make sure the replacement didn't have the same problem.

Wether or not this was a 'near death experiance' is NOT the fcking issue!!!

Edited by jake1516

I seem to be on Jake's side here. He and trials_pimp seem to be the only one's talking some form on sense.

I don't think this has been taking over by Twats Matt. Plus was there any need for that post Matt. It just cause's shit. There's enough of that going on in here without you or me adding to it. This will be my last post in this thread because i want nothing to do with it.

Danny.

Well i pay 18£ and expect my pads to last abit longer. The "death experience" means it could have snapped on anything and i could have landed with my back over a rail or similar, this time i was lucky. You say rockpads aren't responsable for this, i say they are cause they chose what backings they use and these where shit so im still going to blame them as they are reponsible for what they sell in the end.

You choose to ride the sport despite equipment failure there are risks there regardless be grateful that peope are developing ways to make our sport safer, talk to the person that has sold them and sort it out instead of bitching on here and getting nothing done but making a tit of yourself

Don't think I ever said that he shouldn't get a replacement (read my first reply), nor did I say that it wasn't a faulty product. Go on everybody jump on the bandwagon and slate me, because I said it's hyped up and wasn't a near death experience. Some of you will agree its a near death experience, fine I really dont care anymore. I have nothing more to say than that and I won't be reading this thread again.

Right well this thread was killed for no reason.

Heres my 50 pence:

All you people telling him to stop bitching about it breaking, I am going to pwn your ass when I see you post in angry thread complaining about broken parts. His pads shouldnt have broken and he has a right to complain. What if he was doing something really big and that happened? I tell you what, he would have been seriously injured. It not like he can just use one pad now is it? It might offer more friction then air but it sure as hell wont be enough.

And yes, it was no way near a 'near death experience' but it could have been and thats the point.

Oh and scopse, being hypocritical isn't cool.