Milk

Gaz96

So I don't actually like milk but I'm sure I could learn to like it, only reason I'd drink it is because I know off all it's good contents... Protein calcium ect. But what bad qualities come with it, I knew there are some just don't quite know what? Would be semi skimmed milk, and it is a very good high protein low fat source yeah?

Apparently it also gives you a higher likelihood off getting cancer, but lets not talk about it...

I swear all of those sorts of 'research' claims are complete and utter bullshit. I imagine if I were so inclined I could prove that driving a green car increases your liklihood of getting cancer and that people who don't cut their nails as often also have a higher chance of getting cancer. These studies have no possible way of limiting someone's diet or lifestyle in order to only provide data on one item.

I swear all of those sorts of 'research' claims are complete and utter bullshit. I imagine if I were so inclined I could prove that driving a green car increases your liklihood of getting cancer and that people who don't cut their nails as often also have a higher chance of getting cancer. These studies have no possible way of limiting someone's diet or lifestyle in order to only provide data on one item.

Plus, too much of absolutely anything can give you a cell mutation which is just the building blocks of cancer...

In Eastern countries, like China, where less red meat and dairy products are eaten the cancer rates are much, much lower than Western countries. Although I do agree that there are many other 'causes' and variables.

Studies have been done where diets were studied and results have documented. Apparently it has something to do with cow hormones.

My Dad looked into a lot when my Mum was diagnosed, and even as a very cynical person, he decided to stop buying/using red meat and dairy products in cooking.

Of course it might be a pretty conversational topic to some people.

Edited by AndrewEH1

Well, but wait a moment, since how many hundreds of years to humans drink milk?

I mean, if that stuff about cancer linked with milk it true, they'd actually better say "not drinking milk gives you less chance of getting cancer", instead of "consuming milk gives you more chance of getting cancer", because over all those years of people consuming milk I'd say the average chance of getting cancer would already include consuming milk?

Does that make sense to you?

(I didn't read anything on that subject and don't know under which circumstances they did those researches, nor do I know which kind of dairy products they exactly mean, manipulated with something or not, or straight from a cow that gets "normal" food or whatever.)

when my Mum was diagnosed

Sorry to hear that. I still don't think there can be much in it otherwise milk would have to carry health warnings like they have on cigarette packets! I'd say in this day and age there must be a massively stronger chance of cancer being caused by all the electronic signals flying round frying us than any foodstuffs. We had a guy in work the other day who used to work researching electronic/radio emissions from electronic devices to determine interference problems. Having seen the results he now advises that no one uses a mobile phone directly next to their head and that you really shouldn't put your mobile in your pocket... a world of sterile men in 100 years anyone?!

Sorry to hear that. I still don't think there can be much in it otherwise milk would have to carry health warnings like they have on cigarette packets! I'd say in this day and age there must be a massively stronger chance of cancer being caused by all the electronic signals flying round frying us than any foodstuffs. We had a guy in work the other day who used to work researching electronic/radio emissions from electronic devices to determine interference problems. Having seen the results he now advises that no one uses a mobile phone directly next to their head and that you really shouldn't put your mobile in your pocket... a world of sterile men in 100 years anyone?!

Take into consideration smoking.

At one time over 60% of the adult population smoked yet 'smoking related cancer' is now higher WTF????

I also wouldn't underestimate the television either seems that figures like 1 in 3 people will get cancer of some form, what the hell is that about, increase in cancer seem to go hand in hand with technological advancements.

Some examples in my mind:

Automobile

Television

Mobile phones

WIFI

None of these technologies could really have been long term tested for harmful effects before they were rolled out.

I do believe that nutrition has an effect on cancer but rather a positive one:

Really do bother watching that^^

Edited by Matt Vandart

"increase in cancer seem to go hand in hand with technological advancements."

1000 years ago cancer 'didn't exist' because nobody knew what it was/how to diagnose it, so of course there's going to be an element of increased number of diagnoses with advancements in technology. Don't get me wrong, I very much believe that the majority of the 'rubbing a banana on your penis can cause cancer' stories are pretty much bull/negligible, but yeah.

Tech can certainly had impact that may lead to slightly increased chances of cell mutation, no doubt. Certainly not always to the extent that 'experts' seem to state, but worth considering at least slightly I guess.

• Like 1

Basically it comes down to this;

Pros - It tastes great

Cons - When your older you might play for Accrington Stanley

Surely that's a con of if you don't drink it? (EDIT: And only if you want to play for a better team, I suppose) And yes, I had to look it up because I don't have as many years under my belt as you :P

Edited by JDâ„¢

1000 years ago cancer 'didn't exist' because nobody knew what it was/how to diagnose it, so of course there's going to be an element of increased number of diagnoses with advancements in technology.

I think you'll find that 1000 years ago our life expectancy was so low that the majority of people simply died before cancer was an issue or died of cancer but without people understanding the cause.

Have we evolved (both physically and medically) too quickly for our bodies to keep up? By living longer our cells are now struggling to resist mutations? Am I just stabbing in the dark? Should I stop asking questions? Dunno.

Exactly, remember that whole 'blue smarties gives you cancer' crap. Turns out that there's something in the blue coloring that is related to something that when you f**k about with it on a molecular level, is possibly known to cause cancer.

Take into consideration smoking.

At one time over 60% of the adult population smoked yet 'smoking related cancer' is now higher WTF????

I also wouldn't underestimate the television either seems that figures like 1 in 3 people will get cancer of some form, what the hell is that about, increase in cancer seem to go hand in hand with technological advancements.

Some examples in my mind:

Automobile

Television

Mobile phones

WIFI

None of these technologies could really have been long term tested for harmful effects before they were rolled out.

I do believe that nutrition has an effect on cancer but rather a positive one:

Really do bother watching that^^

And the number of pirates on the planet is causing global warming. As seen here:

PiratesVsTemp.png

Someone told me you are meant to brush morning AND night? b*****d must have lied to me :P

I've brushed my teeth once a day my whole life and anyone who's seen my smile in real life (including you) knows from that alone that everyone should brush 3x or more for fear of having a mouth full of gravestones like mine!

• Like 1

Here's my opinion:

Milk is bad. It's intended for growing calves not adult humans. Therefore they have to take out (skim) a lot of fat just to make it 'safe'. I beleive over 50% of the population are lactose intolerant, this doesn't mean they have massive obvious allergic reactions but may well mean they have some unwanted side affects. Some of those damn 'milkstash' adverts actually feature people who are known to be lactose intollerant. It is known to cause mucus build up (on my freediving course they advised against consuming dairy products).

Cows on factory farms live in quite bad conditions and are often sick. There is a permitted level of pus cell that are allowed in milk. Cows are routinely given antibiotics (not just when sick) and this contributes to the evolution of superbugs like MRSA etc. (the abuse of antibiotics). American milk is probably even worse as they give their cows hormones to make them produce milk.

The milk marketing people have done a great job of convincing people that milk is healthy but I really don't think it is. There is just a lot of money in it for them.

Dairy cows live in bad conditions and have to be imprgnated to produce milk (like humans). They then have their calves taken away for the meat or veal (veal is very cruel). The mother cows are very distressed by having their calves taken away.

Vegetarians often drink milk but theres no avoiding it, buying milk contributes to the slaugter of cows. Dairy cows do not live out their days in peace when their milk production drops they are killed.

It is a cruel industry.

I admit I'm biased. I don't use any animal products because I feel the production is cruel and I don't wish to support it. I drink soya milk in my tea and coffee and I like it better than cow's milk.

After nearly 10 years of not drinking milk I find it smells horrible and I can't imagine wanting to drink it again.