Oli's Mini Build Thread!

Matt_Tupman

Pfft. A mini is never built in a drybuild way, that halves the fun. Having it sprayed then scrathing it all to hell is where its at. Just a thought, How is the front end fastened an what not? Does the Z Cars subframe have additional mounts on the bulkhead too add strength? I'm not questioning it, just curious as I have never seen this done before.

The cage will be extended and comming through the bulkhead and joining into the tower mounts :)

It's going to be seriously trick!

Twas a good day getting all the stuff taken down and seeing Carol again, the long round trip was well worth it.

We will try to keep this thread updated as much as possible guys.

Cheers for all the support.

Nick

whats going to be going in this engine wise?

nice to see the progress! looks like it will be quite a beast!

I can't remeber the size, but its something like a 1183cc, 16 BMW bike head, on bike carb with vaux injectors? If I'm right?....

Its going to be an animal when its done. True testoment to Oli's enthsiasm toward this car.

Edited by Fat Knacker Tom

:) Thank you so much Nick and Pierre for coming over to see me and pick up Oli's bits for the mini. It was great to see you, sorry I had to continue working. I know Oli will be watching what is going on and it is great to see the progress. We stood in Oli's room looking round at all the wonderful remote control cars he built, the things he made and one of the bikes he built, so sad, he was so talented, this was his dream - 'Little Dobby' and again, I want to thank Nick, Pierre, Matt and everyone from the bottom of my heart, for continuing to bring his dream to completion.

I know that emotionally it is so difficult for all of you, keep up the fantastic work and thank you so very much :giggle:

:) Thank you so much Nick and Pierre for coming over to see me and pick up Oli's bits for the mini. I want to thank Nick, Pierre, Matt and everyone from the bottom of my heart, for continuing to bring his dream to completion.

Thats OK Carol, we are always here to help. you know you can call me any time if you ever need anything.

I can't remeber the size, but its something like a 1183cc, 16 BMW bike head, on bike carb with vaux injectors? If I'm right?....

Its going to be an animal when its done. True testoment to Oli's enthsiasm toward this car.

Close, but its better than that :P

It's a 73.5mm bore (1380) with a 1071S crank, making it almost perfectly square. giving it 1187cc

Running a heavily modified BMW k100 head, twin cam 16v setup, fuelled my 4 omex throttle bodies running on DTA management.

it should be around 150-155bhp, and its limited to 10 000 RPM, making peak power at 9800!

The word monster doesn't even come close!

Wouldn't it sound better if the mid's were lower, in the doors?

the tweeters will sound fine.

But surely, those mid cones will sound crap there...

As others have already suggested, it would be a mission to get those speakers in the doors without serious modification which would in turn cause issues fitting bucket seats! I have the same speakers in my 306 doors and they only just fit! (and that's using 10mm MDF to make spacer rings!). Considering the car is meant to be a fun track car there is no need to have amazing high quality audio anyway, those Infinity speakers will sounds fine (As proven by Oli who was running the exact same speakers in his Golf and they sounded really nice considering they are fairly budget speakers!)

Oli had put so much time into this project and I cant wait to see the mini finished!

Has the engine been delivered yet????? It is now 6 months since this was supposed to have been delivered!! Hope everything else is going OK Matt. Look forward to seeing some updates, you are doing a great job, thanks xxx

Just a little update, no pictures unfortunately.

I have spoken to simon at morspeed with regards oli's engine.

It has been ready to send for quite some time, although simon being one of the best engine builders in the business he does seem to be somewhat disorganised!

Simon has been on holiday the last week or so which is why Nick and myself had no luck with chasing up the engine.

Simon has promised the engine will be with matt at the workshop by the end of the week.

I'm going to try and pop up to matts next week sometime so i'll get some more pictures for everyone then.

Many thanks

• 2 weeks later...
What will happen once the car is built and ready to drive? I assume you guys will give it to the Lewis family or what.

In answer to this question, the mini will be kept safely and as already said, will be taken to all the shows by either Nick or myself (hopefully both) and friends and family all present. There are so many wonderful people to thank for all their kindness and who want to see it and I have to say a huge thank you to Nick for all his organisation. 'Little Dobby' has a lot to do over the years. Oli's dream will go on

(Y)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...