Oli's Mini Build Thread!

Matt_Tupman

Update Alert!!!

So after a 350 mile round trip yesterday prawn and myself collected all of the bits oli had gathered over the years to complete the mini.

Upon dropping the bits off to the tupmans we had a little look round what had been done to the car and discussed what was left to be done.

Ill let the pictures do the talking, please bare in mind before painting all the hard work doesnt really show.

gallery_602_773_187374.jpg

Smoothed bulkhead

gallery_602_773_45219.jpg

Completely removed inner wing as no longer needed due to kad subframe

gallery_602_773_177482.jpg

gallery_602_773_114363.jpg

gallery_602_773_52814.jpg

gallery_602_773_199029.jpg

Genuine mk1 light conversion

gallery_602_773_100537.jpg

gallery_602_773_113040.jpg

KAD subframe and anti roll bars hiding in there along with Kad brakes.

gallery_602_773_9555.jpg

Oli's custom dash, the layout is superb!

gallery_602_773_120657.jpg

More updates soon guys.

This is going to be something special.

Edited by Frenchman

Wouldn't it sound better if the mid's were lower, in the doors?

the tweeters will sound fine.

But surely, those mid cones will sound crap there...

As far as I know they are working to Oli's plans - it's how he wanted it.

Also, I may be wrong but I don't think speakers that size would fit in the door - plus it looks sweet :)

Wouldn't it sound better if the mid's were lower, in the doors?

the tweeters will sound fine.

But surely, those mid cones will sound crap there...

i think the idea is to follow ALL of Oli's plans, if sound is affected by the speakers being there Oli probably did it as a sacrafice for something else.

Progress looks good, will look forward to the next update.

As far as I know they are working to Oli's plans - it's how he wanted it.

Also, I may be wrong but I don't think speakers that size would fit in the door - plus it looks sweet :)

You beat me to it, lol.

Edited by Mowgli

That thing is going to look sweet. Im loving the dash. The layout looks amazing even if the speakers do sound crap. Puts my efforts to shame.

I think he would be proud of the work your doing.

Top notch fellas. Keep the pictures coming though ;)

The speakers could go in the doors with abit of customisation but it would mean using shitty seats.

not to mention that the 16v mini engine is going to be LOUD so the speakers have to kind of be in your face or you wont here them.

awesome work. That Kad setup is so nice oli really picked out some ace stuff for it.

I can't wait to see it finished, is the shell ready to start building/painting now?

I'd imagine you spray it before fitting the rest of the bits, is that right?

The front sub frame and the other bits attached looks brilliant, Oli obviously gave this a lot of thought. I'm guessing that quite a lot of weight will have been saved from the front?

I can't wait to see it finished, is the shell ready to start building/painting now?

I'd imagine you spray it before fitting the rest of the bits, is that right?

The front sub frame and the other bits attached looks brilliant, Oli obviously gave this a lot of thought. I'm guessing that quite a lot of weight will have been saved from the front?

yeah it depends how whoever is building it wants to do it really. it may be built up minus the engine just to make sure everything works ok etc then taken apart painted and rebuilt. Or it might just be painted then built.

yeah it depends how whoever is building it wants to do it really. it may be built up minus the engine just to make sure everything works ok etc then taken apart painted and rebuilt. Or it might just be painted then built.

So you can check all the new mounting lugs that you've put on all fit right? Before you realise and have to get it re-painted again.

Pfft. A mini is never built in a drybuild way, that halves the fun. Having it sprayed then scrathing it all to hell is where its at. Just a thought, How is the front end fastened an what not? Does the Z Cars subframe have additional mounts on the bulkhead too add strength? I'm not questioning it, just curious as I have never seen this done before.