New Heatsinkbikes Products: 24uk Mk2 Frame

Heatsink

Hi,

It's been 2 years since the 24UK Mk1 was released and here (at last!) is the new and improved Mk2!

24UK217.jpg

24UK208.jpg

Back towards the end of 2007 I set myself the challenge of going over every inch of the Mk1 frame for improvements, reviewing all rider feedback on the frames sold & thinking long and hard about how to make this the very best I could.

I put together a long list of ideas including improvements for strength, stiffness, looks, plus racked my brains for some new features to give the frame some extra special points that would set it apart from the crowd. The whole delivery process has taken much longer than originally planned since I kept making refinements and spotting new ideas. The passion that has kept me going as I fine tuned this the past 6 months was that if a successor was to released, then it be something extra special! A huge thanks is due to many riders who have been patiently hanging on for their frames whilst I continued to strive for this.

The first batch has arrived now with me, but such was advance interest, these are all sold! Now that I have first examples to show and the spec is official, I will be opening up to riders the opportunity to pre-order from the next batch due in about 5 weeks time. In exchange for the slight wait, riders will be able to take advantage of exciting custom options on colour, frame design & personalised stickers as detailed below.

Aim:

To produce the most feature packed and colourful 24" Trials/Street frame on the market. Improve on 24UK strength, stiffness & looks.

24UK Mk2 Features:

24UK2-gclose3.jpgFor the 1st time on a production frame, Triple brake mounts: Magura / V / Disc.

24UK2-red3.jpg

Integrated brake booster with "24UK" marking - improved braking stiffness and control.

24UK2-gclose1.jpg

Round ended gusset shape across frame - better looks.Redesigned top and bottom tube gussets at the head tube join - Improved strength & better looks2x the weld length at Head tube junction compared to the Mk1 - Increased strength & stiffness.

24UK2-gclose2.jpg

Downtube "Armour plate" gusset to soak up impacts - More resilient & increased BB stiffness to pedal strokes.

2x the weld length where the Seat stays join to the top tube compared to the Mk1 - Increased strength & stiffness.Personalised "Rider name/slogan" stickers.Choose either pre-applied stickers or receive sticker pack for customisation.New cable mount designs - Improved mount robustness and ease of cable fitting & removal for riderShorter seat tube protrusion above top tube - Gives option of running a saddle more flush to the frame if preferred for improved stand over clearance.Choice of 7 colours.

Pre-order custom options:

• Red / White / Blue / Silver / Black / Gold / Green colour choice.
  • Choice of V or Magura mounts on top of seat stays (the other below)
  • Custom rider name/slogan sticker

24UK2-redside.jpg

24UK2-whiteside.jpg

24UK2-silverside.jpg

24UK2-blueside.jpg

24UK2-blackside.jpg

Free with frame:

• Pimp My Ride T-shirt, options Red / Green / Blue
  • 200g bag of Cadbury Chocolate Eclairs
  • Additional Helmet stickers
  • Extras TBC

Geometry

TBC - First batch made according to Mk1 geometry which includes:

Wheel Base: 1025mm

Headangle: 73 degrees

BB rise: + 25 mm

Chain stays: 385mm

The additional features of booster/ Vee + Magura mounts / "Armour" plate have added approx 200g to the weight of this frame.

I will be reviewing this geometry asap before placing the next order, and welcome the input of one and all. In general I am canvassing all opinion on this outline design and looking to incorporate the latest thinking into the next batch. I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Steve @ Heatsinkbikes.com

Looks sooo fit!!

The idea of mag mounts on the top of the seat tube, and vee on the bottom is genius! I was thinking about it while back, and now someone has actually done it! Awsome idea to cater for everyone!

Looks very nice indeed! Congrats!

Owen

Looking awsome Steve!

Only one thing i can think that could be different would be to put the vee mounts on the top of the frame and the magura on the bottom, because vees always lack in bite any hoo, so with them on the bottom the bite will not be improved yet the hold will be much better which isn't needed as vees hold very well as they are yet maguras have very good bite as they are yet lack in hold, so if they were on the bottom they would still be bitey yet would benefit from extra hold due to the way the wheel moves etc.

Don't know if that is easy to understand or not....

EDIT: Didn't notice you could choose which mounts you had on the top of the frame :$

Other wise AWSOME!

Adam

Looking awsome Steve!

Only one thing i can think that could be different would be to put the vee mounts on the top of the frame and the magura on the bottom, because vees always lack in bite any hoo, so with them on the bottom the bite will not be improved yet the hold will be much better which isn't needed as vees hold very well as they are yet maguras have very good bite as they are yet lack in hold, so if they were on the bottom they would still be bitey yet would benefit from extra hold due to the way the wheel moves etc.

Don't know if that is easy to understand or not....

EDIT: Didn't notice you could choose which mounts you had on the top of the frame :$

Other wise AWSOME!

Adam

For the first batch of frames riders we've put the riders' preferred brake system on top for ease of set-up. 9/10 wanted Maguras on the top, But check this out:

post-201-1205683233_thumb.jpg

Having the underside brake mounts is an unexpected bonus, and now the frames are here it's a great opportunity to get to grips with the ins and outs of this idea and spot any tweaks that there may be to get the most out of it.

:o Thats Really Nice Steve,

Were those pics taken in cambourne?

Yep! Not far from my house by one of the nice Lakes we have here. The hard bit was finding some nice weather!

Thanks for the positive messages guys! Much appreciated after such a long period of working on these!

Steve

oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god

Edit: oh my god

That looks so good.

Edited by Mr Fish

..Just out of intrest, did you have any trouble with the batch of mk1's?! I never heard of any cracking or snapping. Just curious.

Looking at the information from Mk1 owners, the Mk1 had good strength for a Trials frame. I think the number broken after two years is very low. With this Mk2 I wanted to make it a frame which had much better than average strength, and I've had time to spot how these improvements could be made.

I passionately don't want anything "Heatsink" to have any concerns regarding strength or quality (Y) I can only speak for my frames & from my experiences, so letting the overall figures on quality/strength speak in the case of this particular venture & this unique relationship I've built with the factory, I'm happy to continue with the Mk1 source of manufacture.

Very nice steve, think ill treat myself to one and set it up for skatepark and jumping.

(Y)

I'd love to see a jumping spec one with Sus fork!

It looks like a decent improvement on the first model. One problem I can see with the brake mounts though, surely any brake used on the underside will just constantly catch your ankles? Or has this been tested and found to be OK?

I'll get some photos up asap :)

I look forward to more of your comments & questions!

Steve

Looking at the information from Mk1 owners, the Mk1 had good strength for a Trials frame. I think the number broken after two years is very low. With this Mk2 I wanted to make it a frame which had much better than average strength, and I've had time to spot how these improvements could be made.

I passionately don't want anything "Heatsink" to have any concerns regarding strength or quality (Y) I can only speak for my frames & from my experiences, so letting the overall figures on quality/strength speak in the case of this particular venture & this unique relationship I've built with the factory, I'm happy to continue with the Mk1 source of manufacture.

Thats awsome, Preety good going for a new frame on the market! There cracking looking frames, I would love to own one, but alas, being to tall has its downsides.

Good luck with them Steve! I'm sure you'll get nothing but good feedback from these! Love the idea of the mounts, too! Just a thought, is the bottom 4 bolt mount, too low for a V lug? If not, could you have a sort of 'combined' mount? Where its a 4 bolt mount, but has the traditional V brake 3 holes for the spring tension on the inside? So all you'd need to do is screw in or unscrew the lug for swapping the brake over?

Eitherway, the current setup looks like it has no downfalls, was just a thought.

Just a thought, is the bottom 4 bolt mount, too low for a V lug?

It's too high.

http://www.heatsinkbikes.com/content/veeadapters/V2bike.jpg

I know what you mean, perhaps add a third hole on the top, below the mag mount, for a removable v-brake mount? I think there might be issues with the v-brake arms clearing the mag mounts, though. I presume that Steve has considered that idea and thinks that the current system is better though.

the 3 brake mount choices is a great idea. and im guessing they're all going to work a treat. the canti mounts remind me much of a bmx :)

they're looking good, especially the red 1. though i realised there isn't much info on the weight or did i just miss it in the thread? with all that extra stress plates and integrated booster...surely heavier?

steve