Road Cycling

davey1991

Do you guys wear Lycra shorts?

Yes, bib shorts underneath baggy shorts.

Currently wearing leg warmers as well, I look like an idiot but at least I am warm and comfortable. When it gets warmer I will probably end up wearing the bib shorts without the baggies, then I will look like a proper gay roadie :P

I do too. Although I wear a full length bib in the colder weather with baggy shorts, 2 shirts and a hoodie.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Picked up a cheapo roadie to assist my broken ankles recovery, it's a Coyote Route 66. I think they originally sold for around £200ish and I picked this up off my mate unused for £50 which I think is a bargain! Obviously extremely low spec but considering it'll mainly reside on a turbo trainer it'll do and I can always bag some 2nd hand cranks and stuff to tidy it up a bit.

Here's a pic when I got it and I spent last night de-stickering so it doesn't look quite as cheap and nasty!

Before

post-24247-0-51656400-1365838725_thumb.j

After

post-24247-0-45525300-1365838765_thumb.j

• Like 1

Mine isn't that light, its not bad though, has carbon forks and mavic aksium wheels, 20 spoke front and 24 rear. Conti tyres. My mod is still lighter than it though, by about half a kilo

• 1 month later...

So yeah, having not ridden road for more than around 10 miles in the past 10 years, I've somehow found myself signed up for a 55 mile charity ride on Saturday :lol:

Looks to be a fairly leisurely one though, with a lot of people riding it slowly as a group with plenty of rest/photography stops. Oh, wait, I'm not doing that route, I'm in the "King of the Mountains" section with extra miles/all the hills. Sweet...

• Like 2

Haha, cheers man - Suffice to say that wheels may be a Sunday/Monday job now I'm afraid.

Going to head out and see how I fare with a 30 mile loop tonight and play it from there. It's not a particularly large event so there won't be a huge amount of other riders, somewhere in the region of 60-75 riders by the sounds of it spread across 3 routes. Given that most of them will be doing the other routes anyway there should be roughly 10-15 doing the KoM course from what I've heard and I'm not in it to race, purely to finish and see if I can actually do it without training haha! :P

Everything_went_better_than_expected.png

roadride1.png

Fairly happy with that for a first ride. Not even remotely decent pace and I have no power in my legs any more at all, but felt comfortable enough on this ride that doing half again on Saturday shouldn't be too much of a killer bearing in mind it's not actually a race as such. Can see how people get addicted to this whole roadie thing too...

• Like 1

That's not that bad a time you know. A decent pace if you're alone is 16-17mph ish so your 14mph on a reasonably hilly ride is pretty respectable for a first time.

You'll be fine for the 55. Just keep to the same pace / slower. Stick in a group if you can, but don't get caught in a race with anyone.

Cheers dude. The pace felt comfortable enough that I reckon I could sustain it for the extra miles, but I'm going to start slow and play it by ear. I'd rather be burning excess energy at the end that killing myself off the start line.

My old man is doing the ride too, along with a good friend so I think we'll stick together and enjoy it a little rather than going hell for leather, though dad used to be a sponsored racer so whether or not he can keep himself to that is another matter!