Road Cycling

davey1991

Cool stuff. As I mentioned, my old man and a good friend are taking part too and now it turns out that a few folks from the year below us at school are doing it too so there could be a decent little pelaton on the go!

Props to Mr Suttie for loaning Matt a bike for the day too, much appreciated. Cheers Max :)

I suck at hills:

heartofdartmoor.pngWe ended up doing a slightly shorter route in the end as the signage was awful, with some missing and others directing us in completely the wrong direction. After the third large unnecessary climb we opted to merge parts of the classic route with a few hilly detours.

Hard work to say the least, and my lack of experience really shows as my cadence was all over the place and I've got nothing in my legs any more, but I'm hoping that with a few hundred more miles in my legs that will start to change. Glad to have done the ride, and finished relatively early compared to the marjority - around 120 riders started this year which is well over double the 2012 event and I finished around 10th- though it was definitely more of a ride than a race.

I also need to pick up some new pedals as I used dad's old race pedals for the day and they definitely didn't match the cleats like he was sure they would. No major issues, but they were loose when riding (not just float) and were near impossible to unclip, particularly after my legs had all but died. As a result, shortly after crossing the line...

375011_10151453778078932_1811137577_n.jp

:P

haha funniest thing shoe related ive seen for a while. second funniest was a guy who had bought some shoes from halfords, went home, tried them on and couldnt work out how the ratchet worked so called us up to ask how to take his shoes off after struggling for an hour

All I'm going to say is if it was a fixie it wouldn't need brakes, a mech and gears, and as much chain.

but it has all that and it weighs less then the big packet of penne pasta i buy at sainsburys :lol:

Edited by stunt man t

All I'm going to say is if it was a fixie it wouldn't need brakes, a mech and gears, and as much chain.

It's far more impressive they can achieve that weight with all the practicality of a 15kg road bike though.

I reckon it'd be around 1.7kg with no brakes, less chain, no gears etc.

Those are speed play pedals.

I would say they're not... For someone in the business you don't half spout some shite. Oh, wait, that's what bike shops are trained to do...

worlds-lightest-bike-9.jpg vs. speedplay_pedals_red.jpg

Slightly different IMO.

From what I can see they're more likely to be Aerolites: http://fairwheelbikes.com/aerolite-titanium-pedals-p-1002.html

With cleats that look like this:

post-1823-0-82373200-1369224943_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Like Dave said but not just run of the mill Aerolites but the Ti TT version with extra material removed too, on the original build they were down to something like 56g for the pair.

IMO they feel awful to ride very far on, if you like a reasonable amount of float they're deadly.

Thanks Dave for clearing up the confusion.

I didnt even take the time to look at the picture as I am on my mobile so just took a guess that it would be those speedplay pedals. My bad.

Why did you guess? Any idiot can guess and get it wrong, why on earth did you think that was a helpful thing to do? >_<

On the 1" screen I had on my phone I saw the red dots that looked a lot like speedplay pedals.

Unfilled now I thought speedplay were the only pedal avalable like that.

My road bike product knowlege is quite rusty, as I dont ride road. Yet as i am intrested in getting s road bike

• 2 weeks later...

Until now I've been riding an old roadie as a get around, short cycle rides and such. Yesterday got a job offer which would in essence allow for 100ish miles a week to be done if I felt like it, which I do. Any suggestions on where to get hold of decent second hand roadies or even fairly priced new perhaps, tried ebay and gumtree with the trouble being Im 6' 5".

Lycra, Spd's? Never really cycled road more than 30 miles a week and its usually been flat, this route isnt.