Road Cycling

davey1991

I am really not into the whole fixie scene, but they are actually very very nice to ride, they make hills easier (because the wheel is already turning you don't have to put as much effort in) and you generally have to concentrate slightly harder which is fun (in the same way riding brakeless is fun). Plus its nice not having any cables, mech, brakes to make noises or clutter up the bars.

I managed to build the bike for around £140, bargain if you ask me!

• 3 weeks later...

After getting used to the fixe for a few weeks I took the brake off and have been hacking to and from work on it. I learnt to skid about 2 weeks ago and ever since my lower back has been hurting. Its not too bad after a day or so of rest but when I ride my unicycle it gets really painful, REALLY quickly. Like, 5 minutes of just riding/hopping about leaves me in agony.

Anyone else experienced this? Im trying to work out whats set it off. At the moment its looking like its skidding the fixie thats done it :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My latest addition to the stable is this:

5550110507_998fb55d1a_o.jpg

Something geared for while I'm living in Mallorca. All columbus SLX, with panto'd bb, seatstays and fork crown. All original campagnolo groupset, and it's in pretty much as-new condition.

I'll lose the yellow bits, and replace them with black, but that's just my personal, aesthetic preference.

The paint job on the forks is unreal. Fade to chrome!

45mins doesn't sound un-reasonable.

Yeah, but on a bad day when you get a real bad headwind, you haven't slept well and maybe you're ill, it could be an hour and a half or even more. If you've got to carry work gear there with you, 18mph average is pretty good going, by my books anyway!

EDIT: This is from my experiences with a 9mile daily commute and assuming the problems would be amplified over a longer distance.

Edited by Shaun H

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have an Alu GT frame and fork I picked up for £20, I have cranks, bb, bar, stem, headset, seat and post for it, I just need wheels and a brake (going single speed as well)

This is now mine, first road bike I've ever been on and I love it!

Only does 11 miles a day when its out (5.5 to work and back) though single speed (44-14) in the High Peak makes it a hard slog, especially when your as, err, fit as i am!!! Ali set it up with some Try-All BMX cranks and I've put some Crank Brothers Candy X pedals on which is also a new experience for me.

5284889d-6835-8709.jpg

Edited by isitafox

Yeah it's ideal mate, some steep hills on the way to work but with it being SS I have to work hard to get up them which can only be a good thing. I'm knackered when I get here and get home but already feel so much better for it.

Top job!!