Road Cycling

davey1991

Got me a fixie today, never ridden one before and its amazing fun! it takes a bit of getting used to, and i still haven't plucked up the courage to take the brakes off yet, i still cant skid to halt, or even stop that quickly so its a bit scary! great fun though!

• 5 weeks later...

Wow I loved that haha, lol'd at the naked jogger... :-

Struggling to understand why he jumped over a fence thing at around 1:10 when he could have cycled round it. :giggle:

Edit: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1521929532568&set=a.1615938402731.79523.1364469316&type=1&theater

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1728107006876&set=a.1615938402731.79523.1364469316&type=1&theater

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2092238989948&set=a.1615938402731.79523.1364469316&type=1&theater

My track bike, cost me £500. And it's a laugh riding around town, the gear ratio is 48-15 and my town is hilly :ermm: so I use SPD's riding up hills!

Edited by OnzaKid

Thought I'd chuck this in here. Am hunting around for a road bike at the moment. Will it actually matter if I end up buying a men's bike over a woman's? I've asked the question in several bike shops now and it seems to be 50% yes and 50% no. Even sitting on a woman's specific feels oddly uncomfortable in comparrison to a man's.

• Like 1

Thought I'd chuck this in here. Am hunting around for a road bike at the moment. Will it actually matter if I end up buying a men's bike over a woman's? I've asked the question in several bike shops now and it seems to be 50% yes and 50% no. Even sitting on a woman's specific feels oddly uncomfortable in comparrison to a man's.

Naaa. Be fine, just try to find the right size and it'll be ok. In what way would it matter too?

Apparently there's a slight difference in frame geometry as women tend to have shorter torso's than men? (IIRC, I daze a lot when people talk and talk and talk about how many customers they've had in before actually telling me the answer to my question.) I feel a hell of a lot more cramped on a woman's bike of the same size than I do on a man's. I've just been told that women complain (insert generic joke about women constantly complaining and how they should be making a sandwich in the kitchen and never considering buying a road bike which will result in them failing to make aforementioned sandwich in le kitchen.) a lot more of aches and pains in the shoulders and lower back after riding a men's specific. Suppose there's only one way to find out if that theory applies to me...!

Edited by Hannah Shucksmith
  • Like 1

When will people stop linking to private Facebook profiles?!

Wow I loved that haha, lol'd at the naked jogger... :-

Struggling to understand why he jumped over a fence thing at around 1:10 when he could have cycled round it. :giggle:

Edit: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1521929532568&set=a.1615938402731.79523.1364469316&type=1&theater

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1728107006876&set=a.1615938402731.79523.1364469316&type=1&theater

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2092238989948&set=a.1615938402731.79523.1364469316&type=1&theater

My track bike, cost me £500. And it's a laugh riding around town, the gear ratio is 48-15 and my town is hilly :ermm: so I use SPD's riding up hills!

EDIT: I was referring to this.

I took a step towards the dark side and purchased a Road Bike today.

It's a 2010 Bianchi Via Nirone Sora, the LBS did a good price on it and I also got some SPD pedals and shoes. I was half planning on riding flats but thought I may as well go all out and get clips, I got a cycle computer as well :giggle:

I have never properly ridden a Road Bike or clipped pedals before so am expecting some SPD moments while getting used to it!

• 3 weeks later...

New saddle and stem yay! Changed my stem from 100 to 65 (bargainous £13.80!) and the result is no horrible shoulder pain. Don't know how the saddle fairs yet but we'll see in a bit. Damn my wide sit bones. Got a Y-6LP 8700 right hand adjustment block (8 degree) and Y-6LP 87010 left hand adjustment block (8 degree) because I've got tiny hands and attempting to pull the brakes nearly snapped my fingers too many times.

post-17652-0-69583200-1316348017_thumb.j

post-17652-0-88407900-1316348031_thumb.j

post-17652-0-52391000-1316348044_thumb.j

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hypothetically speaking, if I were to have a road bike (hypothetically), which needed the bar wrap stuff applied to drop bars... would anyone have any good guides as to how you do it if you've never done it before. Also, again hypothetically of course, what angle should drop bars be at relative to the the ground or whatnot?

Hypothetically speaking, if I were to have a road bike (hypothetically), which needed the bar wrap stuff applied to drop bars... would anyone have any good guides as to how you do it if you've never done it before. Also, again hypothetically of course, what angle should drop bars be at relative to the the ground or whatnot?

I don't follow any guides but I wrap mine from the bar end to the middle of the bar, that way the bar tape overlaps itself in the right way. Does that make sense?

Like this!

post-19756-0-60874800-1320955958_thumb.j

Cool. I've found a couple of fairly good install guides now so will give it a go tomorrow. What about bar angle? Personal preference?

Bar angle. I don't know the exact angle of mine but they are set in a comfortable position. I set mine up so when I'm sat on the saddle leaning forwards, hands on the bars and arms straight out, my wrists are not at any angle. The bar width can affect this too, too wide bars and your wrists will point inwards, too narrow and your wrists will point outwards. But you probably already knew that XD

• 2 weeks later...
Wait a second, you have bought a road bike? :o