Echo New Freewheels

ZHI_Chris

:lol: 63 quid no chance

if you have that much to spend on a freewheel you're probably anorexic to :P

I paid £80 for ENO years ago, it was f**kin' amazing for the price, i upgraded to a king simply because that was the only option. If they really retail at sub £30 then, as long as they are as/more reliable than an ACS, i can see them being a massive success. There is always a market for cheaper (maybe less long term solutions) freewheels, they may not last forever, but who can possibly complain at that price.

Echo and quality does not go together

I'm pretty surprised this would ever crop up, i'd say out of most trials brands, echo are one of the best. Admitedly, their freehub's have never been the best, but how many threads have you seen complaining about the weakness of an echo product? Compare that to monty/koxx...

Edited by Hobnobs

JT - The Monty design or Try-All freewheels are made in Taiwan.

But they need to be shipped to Spain and France before they can be shipped back to China at a much higher price through monty or try-all. Unless somebody sneaks a few off the production line and sells them in their local supermarket.

(Y)

ENO is American. =D

Whooops.

At that price id buy one, my ACS has been running a year its completely shot but it still works so if for the same price you can buy an echo freewheel why not, all other echo stuff is reliable

You have obviously not heard about the untamed face breaking power of the echo freehubs!

beat me to it!

In general, echo stuff does seem pretty good quality, considering that it's so mass-produced......

I'm pretty surprised this would ever crop up, i'd say out of most trials brands, echo are one of the best. Admitedly, their freehub's have never been the best, but how many threads have you seen complaining about the weakness of an echo product? Compare that to monty/koxx...

Pretty much every frame they made up until about 2004 was shit and generally weaker than a new-born baby? The majority of things they've put bearings in have been toss too. I guess that's the price you pay when you dilute your brands by having 5 of 'em in competition with each other...

Pretty much every frame they made up until about 2004 was shit and generally weaker than a new-born baby? The majority of things they've put bearings in have been toss too. I guess that's the price you pay when you dilute your brands by having 5 of 'em in competition with each other...

Echo GU ZOO Adamant and Czar don't compete with each other, nor did they when each group had their own hubs, cranks, boosters etc.

Also, apart from Echo freehubs and freewheels, their hubs have been very good indeed. Strong 12mm steel axle and 4 bearings per hub can't go wrong. The spindle system works out much better than threads too though I don't understand why the spline isn't just HG. I might be living in bubblewrap but I haven't heard a single complaint about the old Echo hubs, nor have I heard any about SL's but those have been around for too short a time to go wrong.

There is a lot of space for improvement with their parts but comparing to other manufacturers like Koxx or Monty which charge ridiculous money for a cheapish and cheerful component, things are looking good.

I paid £80 for ENO years ago, it was f**kin' amazing for the price, i upgraded to a king simply because that was the only option. If they really retail at sub £30 then, as long as they are as/more reliable than an ACS, i can see them being a massive success. There is always a market for cheaper (maybe less long term solutions) freewheels, they may not last forever, but who can possibly complain at that price.

More relaible than an ACS ? Whats wrong with ACS ? Back in the day it's all we ever ran, for 2-3 years, I've still got mine now, love it.

Edited by Otacon

More relaible than an ACS ? Whats wrong with ACS ? Back in the day it's all we ever ran, for 2-3 years, I've still got mine now, love it.

Theres nothing essentially wrong with an ACS, but straight out of the box you have to "modify" it so that it doesnt fall apart everytime you go down a hill. I was simply implying that a freewheel which lasts just as long, but has many more engagements, for a similar price would obviously outsell the ACS.

Theres nothing essentially wrong with an ACS, but straight out of the box you have to "modify" it so that it doesnt fall apart everytime you go down a hill. I was simply implying that a freewheel which lasts just as long, but has many more engagements, for a similar price would obviously outsell the ACS.

Ohhh deffinatly i agree, but that slight modification has made mine last 4 years without touching it, just out of curiosity, why would you want more engagements that 36 ? In my opinion thats plenty...

because when you have had 72 to ride with, its easy to see that 36 is poop. It is easier with more engagements to get the exact foot position you want when your preloading for something, or lining up for something.

the less engagements, the more space between engagement. Its hard to explain, but i know what im talking about.

because when you have had 72 to ride with, its easy to see that 36 is poop. It is easier with more engagements to get the exact foot position you want when your preloading for something, or lining up for something.

the less engagements, the more space between engagement. Its hard to explain, but i know what im talking about.

I've had king hubs, I've had pro 2's, I've had tensile freewheels etc, and my ridings no better with one of them, than my 36EP ACS.

What individual tool requirements? It uses a normal FW tool, with extra cutouts to save weight (at my request).

cheers for burning me adam :P. it looked like it needed a specific tool. either way, if its not a bb removal tool thats not use (ALA tensile) then it sucks. in my opinion

kd16.jpg

How much weight will this even save :S

About 6-7g, which is 3% of the overall weight of the item. If you did that on all the parts of your 10kg bike, it would be 9.7kg - a significant saving given that it makes no difference at all to the strength or performance!

More importantly, it makes it look fit as f**k. :P

But yeh, there are bigger savings to be made, but if you want your bike to be as light as possible, then it's worth it?

I really lik the fact they're black instead of chrome, they look far better on black cranks. How about a similar finish on a chain Ad?