Pathetic.

Sam Nichols

I know its a legal requirement for bikes to be sold with bells but had absolutely no idea that its law to have one (and I've been working in a bike shop for the past 2 years!).

It is ridiculous if you ask me, I find bells one of the most patronising noises about (when used on a bike at least), I find it much more curtious to just say "Excuse me can I get through...Thank you", not an audible PING that suggests "Watch out BIKE!".

And its not like it can be used the same as a car horn, just because of the volume of the noise created, its bollocks.

I laughed when i compared that to my usual...

Youtube Video ->
">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

I know its a legal requirement for bikes to be sold with bells but had absolutely no idea that its law to have one

The reason they have to be sold with one on is because they're supposed to have one on, but most people don't give much of a shit...

I'd say get one of these.

My roommate got one when people on our area multi-use trail would be walking/jogging etc. 4 people wide with ipoddy earbuds jammed into their ears. Bells have no effect. Loud as F***! 115db or so. Scares the crap out of any unsuspecting victim. Weighs nothing.

Next time your friend's friend of an uncle's nephew's friend gets yanked, he can sound this off a bit to make a point (and probably get another ticket for a noise ordinance violation).

Okay, It would look pretty stupid on a tirlas bike, but it's a really fun little gadget.

Sounds even louder at 2 a.m. for some reason.

post-18816-1241805360_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tappets

I checked with my boss today (he's been at my cycle shop for 33 years), and he told me that by law, bikes have to be sold with a bell, but once out of the shop it is down to your own descretion if you prefer to use your voice or bell.

The law behind it is that you must have some audiable means of telling people you are approaching, so if your normal joe public, your voice will cover this (yes by law), and the only reason you would need a bell is if you have difficulity speaking/vocal troubles.

I checked with my boss today (he's been at my cycle shop for 33 years), and he told me that by law, bikes have to be sold with a bell, but once out of the shop it is down to your own descretion if you prefer to use your voice or bell.

The law behind it is that you must have some audiable means of telling people you are approaching, so if your normal joe public, your voice will cover this (yes by law), and the only reason you would need a bell is if you have difficulity speaking/vocal troubles.

That could've been quite an amusing conversation with the jobsworth PCSO if your mate had known about it... 'Allo allo allo, what's all this sonny jim? Could you show me the warning instrument on this 'ere bicycle?' *Screams in face* 'Get the f**k out the way asshole!! is that ok, officer?'

That sucks but when these things happen I always think the guy with the bike must have said something to piss off the cop. I mean most police are just normal people and they'll get pissed off when someone starts mouthing off at them. If he was doing nothing other than riding with a bike with no bell, and it was a first offense, then yeah, it's really harsh.

That sucks but when these things happen I always think the guy with the bike must have said something to piss off the cop.

Fully backed, for the most part. Most of my friends who've ever received fines tend to be those who try and take the piss and so on. There's usually something more. Having said that, you do get twats who are looking for trouble, from time to time. I've had it happen a few times in London - for example one PCSO who was training up another (Always a f**king bad sign) who threatened me with a £30 fine for rolling around on the pavement outside my friend's house on a quiet, leafy, SW London estate. He then tried to start on a friend of our's who was in the front garden (Who'd said nothing at all) who had apparently 'looked at him funny'. Equally, I've been accused of all sorts of things by them when out and about riding, from casing places to steal from them to riding in a carpark because I want to steal shit from a car. Good times. But yeah, in the vast majority of cases not being a f**k-end gets you where you want to be. Had to talk my way out of £120s-worth of fines before, it's all do-able.

So if your voice covers you by law - WTF was that copper up to issuing a fine for no bell ? I hope that guy contests ...

I would have to agree - having never had a fine even from the complete bellends - I think the guy must have pissed the policeman off...

But they are gonna call up and check the adress and post code is real, and that the name matches to the adress..

Truth, that's why anyone with their head screwed on has the address of someone they don't like stored up :P