Think Bikes 2009 Season Bikes

spode@thinkbikes

yaabaa-1449.jpg

This is the picture Adam sent us before we went to pick them up - will get some "in action" shots soon. But as you can see - three virtually identical YaaBaa 1499s - with slightly modifications.

We have changed the handle bars for TrialTech, and went for dual Try-All discs front and rear (180F + 190R). Dave and The Boy (Andrex - Andy) didn't want front freewheel so are riding Hope Pro II hubs on the rear. The Boy is using an 18:16 ratio while Dave is using a 17:16 ratio. Spode kept with the stock front freewheel but adjusted the gear ratio to 18:16. We all changed the rear type to Maxxis Minions, with Dave sticking to a single ply due to his slight figure and preference for a light rear end.

It's the best bike I've had yet - full stop. I jumped straight on it and could g-turn better than I ever could. I'm very happy. - David Lowe

Certainly, I've found it an excellent bike to ride. It seems to just fly around - gaps are easier (on both front and back wheel), side hops are easier. It feels easier to tuck on - it spins better. Overall, it's just better. It holds on the back wheel without any effort and the higher stem, to me feels like a more optimum position for energy transfer - bringing the bars closer to a bench press position.

I have my own personal concerns about horizontal drop-outs (I may well end up sticking a 74 Kingz on there), but other than that, I can only concur with Dave - that it's the nicest bike I've had yet. Now that I've mostly recovered from my knee surgery - I'm very much looking forward to the year ahead with anticipation.

The Boy has worked out very well over 2008 and it's been a pleasure to bring him in as a full-time team member, something he is also pleased with as it means he gets a new bike :P He has also had the hardest time adjusting - moving from a short Zoo with dual maguras, but from what we saw of him at the Tarty warehouse, he's adapting quickly and won't have any embarrassing squeeks next time we're performing in a deadly quiet school hall :P

Big thanks to Adam, Ali, Stan and the rest of the chaps at Tarty Bikes . We look forward to seeing people in and around London and Kent for street riding - or even at our demonstrations. Feel free to follow us on twitter to see what we're up to and where we are!

Think Bikes has been sponsored by Tarty Bikes for the last 2 years!

Dave likes his spinny gearing - suits his riding style more. I was very tempted by 18:15, but I'm really enjoying 18:16.

I knew someone would pick up on the lack of pedals :P We're running those fairly standard caged pedals - Echo VP style thingies.

All welcome to try them if you're ever down our way - and we do use them in our training sessions too - hence the dual direction bash guards!

I shall be stealing Andy's :)

They look really nice. :)

Good luck.

Grammar my freind ! lol

the bikes look so nice altogether, and u bet they look even better on a demo as you will have almost the same bikes :). What does Andy think of the bike compared to his ZOO ?

Grammar my freind ! lol

the bikes look so nice altogether, and u bet they look even better on a demo as you will have almost the same bikes :). What does Andy think of the bike compared to his ZOO ?

Christ - if you corrected everyone's SPAG on here - you'd have a full time job!

Andy is having some disc trouble - he needs a new rotor on the rear. But from what I saw of his riding today - he's doing pretty well :)

Christ - if you corrected everyone's SPAG on here - you'd have a full time job!

Andy is having some disc trouble - he needs a new rotor on the rear. But from what I saw of his riding today - he's doing pretty well :)

Is the rotor hitting the caliper? That will be because of the different gear ratios. If you let the chain stretch a bit then the wheel will pull back a touch more and it will spin freely.

18:16!? Andy you lightweight :P

Awwww yeahh!! I have no need for a harder ratio.

I shall be stealing andy's :)

No. lol

What does Andy think of the bike compared to his ZOO ?

It's a beasty bike and easy to throw around. Just need to sort the rear brake out and I'll be fine.

Is the rotor hitting the caliper? That will be because of the different gear ratios. If you let the chain stretch a bit then the wheel will pull back a touch more and it will spin freely.

No, it's been really poorly machined. HUGE groves in it - just won't bed in. Needs replacing. Mine's pretty solid after a single ride.