Ideal First Cars

TJ.

Almost the same as me, R reg punto then a focus now. But my Focus is oldddd! And it's the earlier TDDI model not TDCI.

How do you like the Focus?

I love it! The only problem I had was the battery, however that was replaced on warranty (took some getting I can tell you!). I got a 5 door, ideally I'd have liked a 3 door but its nothing major I guess - 5 door comes in handy, especially at work.

Looking to trade in next summer for an ST through, and no, I'm not a chav.

18/19 - Mk1 1.3l astra £550 TPFT

may have been some time ago now ...

but more with the buy a shit car advice - I stuffed it into a hedge driving like a loon on a rainy day - I'm not saying all new drivers will do this, but its just that time in peoples lives when its new/mates/fun/limits blah blah. Its just not worth having a nice first car unless mummy and daddy are loaded and you have no problems being mummy or daddys little boy/girl/whatever.

18/19 - Mk1 1.3l astra £550 TPFT

may have been some time ago now ...

but more with the buy a shit car advice - I stuffed it into a hedge driving like a loon on a rainy day - I'm not saying all new drivers will do this, but its just that time in peoples lives when its new/mates/fun/limits blah blah. Its just not worth having a nice first car unless mummy and daddy are loaded and you have no problems being mummy or daddys little boy/girl/whatever.

On the other hand, getting a nice, new car might ensure that the driver drives it responsibly(ish) out of fear of damaging such an expensive car? Still the cheap little runner is probably the best way to go.

Anyone under 25 and struggling for insurance might want to get an I-cube policy (I think thats what its called.) They install a little GPS tracker in your car and you aren't allowed to drive between 23:00 and 05:00, but it brings your insurance down loads*.

*Got £900 off the cheapest quote I'd had for a 1.2 Clio for my insurance with them, and then an extra £700 for my pass plus.

Edited by Mat Tea Why

Try a seicento.

If your wanting a first car and you decline a 2 seat van for a seicento on the basis of rear seats for your mates, well.... i wouldn't bother due to the size of them. You'd end up with a car too small to comfortably use the back seats for mates like you would in any normal car and too small to drop the seats to get bikes in like you could a van. Sure it might get you places, but so would a moped and how many people would be seen dead on one of those, especially out of choice?

First Car: L Reg Ford Fiesta 1.1

Car cost: £400

Insurance Cost: £1250 ish under my Mums name

Stuffed it into the back of a brand new Audi A3 3 nights later. Luckily he was an illegal so I got off fine (Y)

What about Hondas? My first car was a '91 CRX, did about 60k miles in it and it didn't break down once. It was quick, fun to drive and very cheap to run.

Hondas are very exspensive. My eg cost just short of 3 grand and my pals CRX SIR cost him just over 3k, IRRC I read you were from Norway or something? Sorry if you are not but in the uk all of the rude boys drive hondas and they are the first stepping stone into jdm cars

I payed just over £1000 for my 2002 1.0 12v corsa. You need to go for something small, very small. So I find it better to go for newer cars as the old ones have all been used by new drivers

1.2 clios are rather good. Old 998 minis. Saxos and 106's are over priced. The base models are shit, so the vtr, westcoast and quicksilver are the ones worth having and work out from £1300 up to £1700. Low engined fiestas. You know the usual

stuff

From personal experience, I find its best to ignore insurance groups.

My reasoning for this is I am insured on my car (group 13, could be 12 actually) and it was cheaper to insure than a group 5 clio....

I think that car insurance prices are based more on the likeliness they are to owned by 'boy racers' and more likely to be stolen etc.

I could be wrong, but its certainly odd that's for sure. Everyone's situation is completely different as mike said

EDIT: I'm 21.

Edited by Wrayvon

From personal experience, I find its best to ignore insurance groups.

My reasoning for this is I am insured on my car (group 13, could be 12 actually) and it was cheaper to insure than a group 5 clio....

I think that car insurance prices are based more on the likeliness they are to owned by 'boy racers' and more likely to be stolen etc.

I could be wrong, but its certainly odd that's for sure. Everyone's situation is completely different as mike said

EDIT: I'm 21.

I agree here, my girlfriend and I have moved from Dorset to Surrey recently, her was parked on the drive in Dorset, but in Surrey it's parked on the road, this has put her insurance up slightly. Insurance companies will look at area information such as:

amount of accidents in your area

amount of accidents from your age group and sex.

amount of car theft's/vandalism in your area

All of the above are taken in to account when you are getting a quote, this is why 2 people of the same age and sex and exactly same car could get two different quotes.

Fords are good, like ka's, nice refined engines and are ecenomical.

depends which engine, the Zetecs are nice little motors, but CVH's are about as refined as a sledge hammer. Fords also love to rust, so be careful of anything over 8 or so years old, ka's are appalling for it.

I had a 1989 mk2 polo, 1.3 coupe S as my first car at 18. Was good fun, cost me £250 to buy, and £600 to insure as a named driver.

I've always found older cars better to insure, just get something modern enough to be reliable. Even by the time I'd bought a socket set and a few spares the polo probably cost me less than £500, and yeah, it got scrapped come MOT time because it was riddled with rust, but meh, it was dirt cheep. Replaced that with a 1.3l mk2 golf, which put the insurance up a whopping £10. It was slow, but kept up with traffic alright, and got good mpg, as well as costing £600 and looking cool.

Diesel Peugeots seem to be nice and cheep to insure too.

As has been said, insurance groups don't mean all that much. My scirocco at group 14 was considerably cheeper to insure than the audi I had before it which was group 12. I put this down to the fact that most crash's in audi A4s will be on the motorway or in town, will involve another car, and therefore injury claims, and will always go through insurance. Where as most crash's in Sciroccos will be in back lanes, into a hedge, and will be pulled out with a tractor then scrapped/fixed without the insurance company ever getting a hint of it happening.

Edited by RobinJI

Yeah my Focus is showing some rust signs, bottom of my o/s rear door. Bottom of my tailgate. Really frustrating as it's a really really tidy car other than that. I'll end up sorting it some time in the next few months.

I think it's Quinn direct who pay quite alot of attention to car groups. When I moved from my Punto to my Golf (increase of 1 group) my premium went up by £109.

There are so many variables to car insurance though its crazeeeee

Edited by dann2707

Teeeeejjjjay.

Just stick to the vag-train, get a tidy base mk3 golf and Lou and I will get it pimping for you.

Mr Pigs I challenge you to find me dirt cheap insurance on a mk3 golf or any car as a matter of fact, under £1500 if poss but I very much doubt it is very possible.