Trials Brings So Many Types Of People Together.

stya_bear

The group of people I have begun to ride with is such a varied group of people, its fantastic!

Stereotypes get thrown out the window when it comes to riding, or at least that is the picture I am getting from it. I ride with people who prefer tracksuits; people who are pierced; people who ride stock; people who ride mod; street style riders; natural riders; older riders; younger riders; long haired; short haired; people who like hip-hop; people who like trance; people who like dub-step; people who like rock music.

So many types of people all come together to ride their bikes without discrimination from others. Apart from the more than common' "why has your bike got no seat?"

That is one of the major reasons that I love to ride, not the fitness aspect, not the challenge, but the sense of community and support everybody has for one another.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section.

Was only just saying to my mate yesterday how its completely different to what the skate park scene is like.

Seems to be almost exactly the same from the street and natural rides I've been on, especially when we've bumped into other riders...

Seems to be almost exactly the same from the street and natural rides I've been on, especially when we've bumped into other riders...

I wouldn't say so.

The skaters ('round here, anyway) all seem to pressure each other into dressing the same, doing the same tricks, acting the same, and liking the same music. That's fine, if that's how they want to be - skating's much more fashionable than trials.

Being that trials is so much less fashionable, there's a broader tolerance for what a group will and will not tolerate. ...Or maybe we're (riders) all just a hell of a lot more stubborn than skaters :P

I don't think it's as different as the guy above implied, but - unless it's just the places you've been to (though I'd doubt that) - I don't think it's a similar scene, either.

I wouldn't say so.

The skaters ('round here, anyway) all seem to pressure each other into dressing the same, doing the same tricks, acting the same, and liking the same music.

So sorta like how all the TGS mod riders all wear skinny jeans, run Urban rims, run smooth rims with tar, run super low stems, run their bars rolled incredibly far forwards, have emo haircuts, have lip piercings, have started running front V's, only do sidehops, always use the same music on their vids, use the same fake-Yorkshire slang and 'buzz words' and are generally twats to members of the public? And sorta like how most mod natural/comp riders run Try-All parts, double disc, wear Skinz, do moves in the same way, etc.? Trials is just as 'bad' for fashions and trends as anything else out there. I'd say the BMX scene is much tighter than the trials scene from my experiences. I've stayed at loads of BMXers houses all around the UK (and abroad) who I'll have only just met and will only really know because we ride street, and I've invited loads of BMXers who are travelling round to stay at my place just because we've ridden together and help out. It's a broad generalisation, but most BMXers seem to be a bit more mature about stuff like that compared to trials riders who don't seem to be (obviously there are exceptions to those, and age obviously plays it part too). When I'm talking about BMXers there I'm pretty much just talking about people who primarily ride street (so not just some fashion dickheads at skateparks working on their newest footjam variations), and not just pikey twats who've bought a Ruption for £20 and are just pedalling that around the place.

Well I have only JUST started riding, and theres no one round here that rides a trials bike, but from what the scene seems like, it's definitely worth moving to a different place for.

Been thinking about moving for a while anyway, but makes me want to all the more....

onzaboymark - well it does seem that you have had the crappy end of a varied stick.

Of course fashion/trends are going to appear in things, its just what happens when people look at something and see it as the better option, they begin to follow. But MY EXPERIENCE OF TRIALS does not have the same outlook as yours.

I suppose you could say everything is the same?

BMX has cliches like the skinny jeaned, polo shirt hardcore kids group, the baggy clothed laid back groups, the brake-less groups, the free-coaster lovers, the old school riders, the true to the man groups... etc...etc...etc

Inline has the same kind of groups, the gangster end of the spectrum and the skinny jean end...etc...etc

Skateboarding has the 'mosher groups' the 'emo' groups, the 'hippy' groups etc...etc...etc

This could go on and on segregating people but as you can see the overall response on this thread is that people have been introduced to other people who view life different, do live in new ways and so forth. They are effectively broadening their horizons.

Personally, I have not seen the same level of self-being in Trials as I have in BMX, inline, boarding . As a inline skater, and having played with BMX and skateboarding, they all have a pronounced long standing hatred of each others sport (not everyone FYI) In trials thus far I have not come across the same problem.

I was being broad in my context of the original thread - Evidently others prefer to nit-pick.

• Like 2

Personally, I have not seen the same level of self-being in Trials as I have in BMX, inline, boarding . As a inline skater, and having played with BMX and skateboarding, they all have a pronounced long standing hatred of each others sport (not everyone FYI) In trials thus far I have not come across the same problem.

Does this mean that to be a trendy sport trials riders need to learn to hate people who do other sports? :P

I think those who gravitate towards trials tend to be less trendwhoreish about their sport. Half the reason lots of people run the same setups is because there are so few decent products available.

Unless you're pulled in to trials by a big group of local riders (And I'm guessing very few people are what with the shortage of big groups of trials riders in most places), most people ride trials because they have chosen to, not because their friends do it. As a result of this you're guaranteed to meet a very varied range of people because riding trials is what unites them and that's enough.

Half the reason lots of people run the same setups is because there are so few decent products available.

There are plenty of decent products available, but people seem to choose ones that aren't. Coloured Deng parts being a pretty notable one - people running gash-feeling Echo Low-Rise bars and all that sorta stuff just because other people do. Super low front ends because it's fashionable, etc.

I agree with this thread, trials seems to be purely about trials, and nothing else which is great. I think it's mostly to do with how rare it is, and I like it that way.

Edited by TomG
  • Like 1

There are plenty of decent products available, but people seem to choose ones that aren't. Coloured Deng parts being a pretty notable one - people running gash-feeling Echo Low-Rise bars and all that sorta stuff just because other people do. Super low front ends because it's fashionable, etc.

I have to say, I really can't see where you're coming from with that.

Granted - it seemed that way a while back, but if it still is, it must be a northern thing.

If people over this end buy bits because other people have them, then it seems at the minute it's fashionable to buy value for money parts. (Basically Onza :P )

I only know people that run the same parts as people they ride with because they go on each other's bike, like the bits, and are reliable. What is wrong with that? It just seems logical to me.

Also - if it seems a lot of proplr are running "gash" parts such as Echo low-rise bars, did you stop to think it might just be YOU that prefers something out of the ordinary? That's fine if you do - but I don't think it's right that you basically tell people they're fashion whores for running some parts that they just like. Maybe most people don't like the feel of lots of sweep (I'm not included in that, I love it ^_^ ).

If you meant people buy bits when they know full well that they're unreliable, or just a crap product, that's fair - but I don't think you did. I note a distinct lack of people running Deng freehubs.

So sorta like how all the TGS mod riders all wear skinny jeans, run Urban rims, run smooth rims with tar, run super low stems, run their bars rolled incredibly far forwards, have emo haircuts, have lip piercings, have started running front V's, only do sidehops, always use the same music on their vids, use the same fake-Yorkshire slang and 'buzz words' and are generally twats to members of the public? And sorta like how most mod natural/comp riders run Try-All parts, double disc, wear Skinz, do moves in the same way, etc.?

You left out the 24" street riders, that run seats, take there brakes off, grind there brake mounts off, and run spoke tensioners ;)

I agree wiht this thread to an extent, I ride with a group of lads who live 30mins away from us, and two of them are old enough to be my dad. And I never would of known them if it wern't for trials..

You left out the 24" street riders, that run seats, take there brakes off, grind there brake mounts off, and run spoke tensioners ;)

Trends and fashions generally have to have more than 1 person doing them though ;)