What Does Everyone Do For A Living?

the

How do you test bullet/stab proof vests, helmets and things?

There sent to a test range in wiltshire. The ballistic vests are tested with various calibres of rounds and at different velocities ie, a 7.62 at 650 ft/sec to find the NIJ levels of each product. As for stab vests. A projectile (edged blade, hypodermic needle, steel spike ect.) is attached to a numatic ram and fired at the vest. The helmets are tested in a similar fashion to the ballistic vests.

I belive there are videos on you tube of us testing our EOD mine clearance suits. We blow the f**ker up with something like 4lbs of C4 and there is hardly a mark on it! If you type in "United Shield International" you should find the vids if your interested.

There sent to a test range in wiltshire. The ballistic vests are tested with various calibres of rounds and at different velocities ie, a 7.62 at 650 ft/sec to find the NIJ levels of each product. As for stab vests. A projectile (edged blade, hypodermic needle, steel spike ect.) is attached to a numatic ram and fired at the vest. The helmets are tested in a similar fashion to the ballistic vests.

I belive there are videos on you tube of us testing our EOD mine clearance suits. We blow the f**ker up with something like 4lbs of C4 and there is hardly a mark on it! If you type in "United Shield International" you should find the vids if your interested.

Checked the video out pretty good actually. You have a cool job!

Mech eng student, current year in industry

Im working on the Isle of Wight in an aircraft manufacturer called Britten Norman who make lightweight aircraft using hand tools and NC machines only (No CNC badboys here!). Im just a production planner at the moment, sorting out work to do on the shop floor, material sourcing etc

Finishing my master's course in logistics and also running a business. Was looking at taking up a normal job too just to see how it's like to work for somebody but the average pay is so incredibly low compared to my current earnings that I'm lacking the basic motivation. Kinda annoying because I'd like to give this a shot but at the same time couldn't be bothered.

I'm a self employed electrician and mainly do commercial/industrial units. I try to stay away from domestic stuff :) nothing worse then working in someones house and trying to lift floor boards when the room hasn't been cleared. And you get annoying customers saying " why do you have to chase the wall out I just want a switch there.... I'll say "Yes but I still need to put a cable in so the switch works" customer then looks confused and says " really"??

Can people be this stupid??

Mech eng student, current year in industry

Im working on the Isle of Wight in an aircraft manufacturer called Britten Norman who make lightweight aircraft using hand tools and NC machines only (No CNC badboys here!). Im just a production planner at the moment, sorting out work to do on the shop floor, material sourcing etc

Ask them to send some new Tris over to Guernsey, the ones we've got are f**king nails.

Ask them to send some new Tris over to Guernsey, the ones we've got are f**king nails.

lol tris arent made anymore! And dont ask for spares because they're a nightmare to work out...

James I was riding fook loads but im injured pretty bad atm :( I might be out all winter to be honest (well timed :shifty: )

Civil engineering, but I guess the domestic market. So far this week I've worked on tender designs for a police station, two domestic buildings, a school and a library.

We mainly work with steel (boss is a genius and has a few big analysis projects justifying WWII aircraft hangers for the MOD) but I'm being trained to take over the civils side of the office eventually.

I agree with you for the work/pay ratio, we have a huge responsibility, need a uni degree and the associated debt, yet I know people who get more then I do, just for doing unskilled work in a factory at night. :blink:

Didn't know you were an engineer steve? How would you classify your work?

It's a small new firm called EDS, we're consultants so most of that sort of stuff is handled by our employer, usually the contractor.

Although we normally use Yeandle Geotechnics if you've heard of them? Tend to get pretty decent and thorough stuff back but give us a company name and I'll throw it about at work see if anything shakes down.

Sweet, yeah i know Yeandles pretty well, their office about 25 mins from ours and my boss used to work for them :)

We are Southwest Geotechnical http://www.swgeotech.co.uk/, we work for alot of the big Civils firms (Dean and Dyball, Atkins, Black and Veatch etc)

We'd be happy to tender for jobs, give us a bell and we'll have a chat.

Didn't know you were an engineer steve? How would you classify your work?

I'm a computational analyst for Cummins diesel engines. I get involved with stress/fatigue analysis, structural dynamics and fluid analysis for various engine components.