What Does Everyone Do For A Living?

the

I was under the impression they would still make them if a minimum of three were ordered?

haha 3 tris? :P I wish....that would be fun though!

Basically if it can be made within reason we'd make it, but alot of trislander parts we struggle to find drawings for, let alone material spec etc.

Yea I'm really interested in how engineering and science can be used to help people. The future seems really exciting for collaborations between neuroscience and nanotechnology smile.gif

This is the exact reason I started in engineering....

I'm a self employed electrician and mainly do commercial/industrial units. I try to stay away from domestic stuff :) nothing worse then working in someones house and trying to lift floor boards when the room hasn't been cleared. And you get annoying customers saying " why do you have to chase the wall out I just want a switch there.... I'll say "Yes but I still need to put a cable in so the switch works" customer then looks confused and says " really"??

Can people be this stupid??

Awesome, yes they can, my missus.

I saw a customer at work try and fit a large trolley into a small trolley several times before giving up.

In fact, on that occasion I told them 'That's a big trolley, it won't fit in a small trolley.'

Literally ROFL

Sarcasm, right?

No

Given the amount of work, and pressure that comes with the majority of engineering jobs, I do believe we are underpaid. Even more so when you look at the pay structures overseas. If I was to work for the same company I do now, in the same position, but in the USA I'd be better off...

It's decent pay, but it's by no means the high life.

This is why I stopped doing engineering, and I was on the big bucks.............I would now rather f**k a goat than get back involved with that shit.

haha 3 tris? :P I wish....that would be fun though!

Basically if it can be made within reason we'd make it, but alot of trislander parts we struggle to find drawings for, let alone material spec etc.

I just had a nose on their site and found this

"Britten-Norman currently offers factory refurbished pre-owned Trislanders. The company is also considering options on future new build aircraft."

We had a chap from B-N fly through with my old airline when they were celebrating the 40th anniversary of (I think) the Islander and I was sure he mentioned something about making new ones if there was demand.

We've got about 10 or 11 Tris in Guernsey and I think 2 Islanders, which I assume is a lot (when you take into account only 70 odd were ever made!)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I've trained as a boatbuilder. and my current job is ship's carpenter to Creole and Avel. Creole is the biggest wooden sailing yacht ever built, and I'm one of the last ship's carpenters employed privately, full time in the world! In the Summer I'll be deckhand on Creole, and race-crew on Ave, aswell as carpenter when things need fixing. I live onboard Creole (that's where I am right now!), and shit's tax-free!

Engineering, unless you get high up, isnt worth shit these days. I did 6 years, 3 years a maintenance engineer fixing injection moulding machines, then the depression kicked in and all production and manufacturing decided to f**k off abroad.

I now build bikes at Halfords through a work experience scheme through the job centre with no job at the end of it. Im just gonna sack it all off and become a f**king tramp.

I graduated in 2008 with a masters in civil engineering.. not used it since. Spent nearly a year looking but ofcourse it was just as the recession hit and everyone was sacking people. Now work doing performance management/business analysis etc. Love it and glad I didnt end up in engineering. My mate got a BEng and got a job luckily just before recession hit in 2007. He now runs a team at some civil engineering place and is earning about 28k. He's been doing it now for over 3 years...

Civil Engineer here.

Agree with previous posts, in the wrong profession!! lol

Chris

Finally passed my Viva last week so am now officially a Doctor of Engineering. Still work in the wind tunnels at the University of Southampton but am soon to take over the management of the tunnels and take on a bit more of an 'academic' position, supervising a PhD student as well as undergrads.

• Like 2