Old School Large Tvs?

Davetrials

We need a large tv for our house next year at university, now to save some money were not gonna bother with a big ass HD flat screen, so we want one of the older, bought from cash converters huge box things, that are as large back wards as they are wide?

can someone tell me the name of them as i have no idea what to serch for?

Ali and I bought a whopper CRT HD bad-boy about 5-6 months ago. Proper heavy b*****d that came with surround sound wireless speakers and a bunch of other shit. Keep your eyes on eBay, there's always some bargains around. I think we paid £90 for our's, whereas 2-3 years ago it was over a grand. Ka. Ching.

EDIT: Think our's might be 32", potentially. I'd imagine a 50" CRT would probably be so heavy it'd create it's own gravitational field, so be prepared for shit to get in it's orbit if you find one.

I remember when pubs used to have these MASSIVE flat screen jobbies, that where f**king massive at the back, and must weigh about a 100kilo, dunno what its called though

Youre talking about rear projection :)

Weve got a 32" samsung crt (actually borrowed off a friend!) that is pretty good, I dont get this whole HD bluray 1080p bollocks, Im quite happy to watch films at normal dvd resolution :D

the one downstairs at home is a 32" cathode ray tv and its picture is fine.

Although I know my monitor is HD and my comp runs blu-ray, so I can watch in incredible quailty but at only 19". So in the grand scheme I'm happier watching the tv downstairs and don't even notice the quality change most of the time

Edited by shamus

Yeah the big-ass ones are rear projection, bear in mind with those you have a crap viewing angle usually so you'll need to be slap bang in the centre of it to get a good picture.

I'd go for a CRT personally, if you're not interested in Plasma or LCD.

You also need a 300 foot long room to be able to get far enough away otherwise the quality is generally dire.

Youre talking about rear projection :)

Weve got a 32" samsung crt (actually borrowed off a friend!) that is pretty good, I dont get this whole HD bluray 1080p bollocks, Im quite happy to watch films at normal dvd resolution :D

If you don't have a HD source then CRT's often look better than a HD capable tv. But once you throw a HD source into the mix the flatscreen generation comes into a world of its own. When the HD tv channels are properly integrated it'll be a big mainstream difference, they're slowly cropping up now with a lot more being introduced in the near future.

Everyone who has come to my house and watched Avatar in 1080p has gone "crikey, that looks amazing!".

Likewise gaming on a non HD set after using a HD one is a dissapointing affair.

If you don't have a HD source then CRT's often look better than a HD capable tv. But once you throw a HD source into the mix the flatscreen generation comes into a world of its own.

Everyone who has come to my house and watched Avatar in 1080p has gone "crikey, that looks amazing!".

Likewise gaming on a non HD set after using a HD one is a dissapointing affair.

Agreed.

Until you see full HD on a big screen, especially the new blur-free LCD ones, you'll be content with watching standard DVD quality.

Besides, it's the sound that's improved too with Blu-ray so it's the whole experience that's better :)

Agreed.

Until you see full HD on a big screen, especially the new blur-free LCD ones, you'll be content with watching standard DVD quality.

Besides, it's the sound that's improved too with Blu-ray so it's the whole experience that's better :)

Now see thats the one thing i am missing. My A/V receiver won't process audio over HDMI so i'm stuck with just DD or DTS. I'm really looking forward to getting into HD ausio as well.

Now see thats the one thing i am missing. My A/V receiver won't process audio over HDMI so i'm stuck with just DD or DTS. I'm really looking forward to getting into HD ausio as well.

To be fair DD / DTS are still good, but if you have expensive speakers you may as well get the best from them.

At the moment I only have my films going through the silver mixer into the black Sony amp (In the pic above) so I'm just running standard stereo, though when I worked in that hifi place a few years back we sold some incredible systems - stupidly priced, but amazingly nice.

Meh, most of the films I watch are divx so rarely more than 640x480 resolution :)

Sure a huge lcd tv and HD content is fantastic to watch, however its not worth the 500+ quid outlay for me, more important things to spend it on like reptiles, bikes and other non important stuff like food and the mortgage :D