Black Ops

Davetrials

Thought I'd cast my opinion in on this as a sponsored gamer (which I have been on CoD4, MW2 and Fifa). Basically single player (which in fairness has nothing to do with the sponsorship) I thought was actually quite fun. The levels are varied and although the first few levels took a while to get me into the game, I really got into the story later on. I completed it on Veteran in roughly the same amount of time as MW2 which was about 5 and a half hours, which is shorter then CoD4 which took me FOREVER on Veteran.

But anyway, onto the important part, Multiplayer. First thing I noticed straight away was the sheer amount of bullets it takes to kill people. It seems to take an awful lot more which is good and bad. I noticed earlier in the thread someone said the sound overall was tinny and I agree. The guns all seem to lack punch and the most powerful thing on multiplay seems to be the C4 which is obscene. It does seem though (like every other CoD) that there is only a few guns that will be used in the competitive scene. The Ak-74u (which I was so glad to see is back) seems to be the only SMG that you need, Assault rifle wise the Ak-47 and the G11 (the classified assault rifle, unlocked by buying all other assault rifles) are pretty much all you need although I am quite enjoying using the AUG and even though its not as powerful as it was the M16 is ok. Attachments wise I dont understand why anything other then extended mags is ever used. I can appreciate sights on maybe the M16 but it takes so many bullets to kill people if you get caught in a 2 on 1 you will rarely have enough bullets to take both without reloading and therefore dying.

As for maps, there seems to be a couple of good ones. Firing Range, Summit, Jungle and Nuketown on certain gametypes.The spawns are pretty bad at the moment, which is more noticable on the smaller maps. I've had plenty of spawn problems (the 5m spawn radius is shocking) and it's something that needs to be sorted. There are still plenty of spawn traps, 2 of which I found within 2 hours of gameplay. And within 1 round of Summit I found 4 traps on the map alone which meant that my team would have absolutely raped if kids would just hold back but never mind. I really like the fact that on search and destroy, lethal grenades and noob tubes are duds for the first few seconds of the round. Stops the spawn tubing and nades which is great. I also like the fact that quick scoping has been nerfed. It was far too easy on MW2, im glad it actually takes alot of skill to get them right now.

Killstreaks wise I'm not really interested as they are banned in competitive games but the one where you basically become a running turret is absolutely hilarious and the 11 killstreak gunner is obscene. Rediculous firepower. I also HATE the RC-XD. Such an annoying killstreak.

Overall I'm really liking it, theres nothing really wrong with it, its just very different online and I think that is why people are against it at the moment. Everyone in the competitive scene has adopted it without dramas which is nice because that certainly wasn't the case on MW2

Edited by Has anyone seen my shoe?

That's a bang on review i'd say ^^.

Though do disagree with the RC car. I use the spyplane instead mind. You get told that the other team launch one, whether it's nearby and they are easy to out manoeuvre and shoot when you listen for them.

I did discover some sweetness for the first LMG with extended. You can literally take out the whole team in one mag, it's huge! The MP5 is also very generous with extended.

[EDIT - i know i repeated some points from Has Anyone Seen My Shoe, didn't read his post before i posted]

[EDIT 2 - in competetive matches it would be just fine as you play to win not really to have fun with the game, not saying that competetive matches aren't fun though]

I'm not very happy with the game at all.

Bad Points:

The snipers, shotguns and LMG's (other than the last one) are useless. To do well you have to use either the AR's or the SMG's which is all well and good but when there are so many other weapons to choose from its rather pointless just using two types. The Ak74u is overpowered as hell, i can see it being the new UMP.45 and also the spawns are f**king terrible.

Back to the shotguns, they brought them back to primarys which i thought was great, but then they nerfed them beyond belief and anything further than like 5 feet away and its more than one shot kill.

The map 'Nuketown' is shit yet I get it 4 times as much as any other map. Infinite care package glitch is retarded, why they didn't think to check for that after MW2 i do not know. Graphics are too cartoony compared to MW2 and also the movement feels very sluggish. Weapon sounds aren't great and also the weapons themselves look nothing compared to the ones in MW2. I know i keep comparing it to that game but its just to get my point across.

Marathon + Lightweight is still bullshit overpowered and the panic knifing is just ridiculous, its like inbuilt commando for everyone.

Good Points:

No refilling of noobtubes and equipment from scavenger packs.

Harder to get high killstreaks.

No stopping power.

Balanced perks other than the mara/lightweight combo.

Decent maps.

Zombies is just as good as the WaW one.

COD Points.

Wager Matches.

The bad things in this game far outway the good at the moment, hopefully they will patch it and make it enjoyable. COD4 still remains the best game in the series for me.

Edited by Adam L

CoD 4 will remain the best in the series, mainly because it was simple. And in fairness to activision/infinityward/treyarch they couldn't keep it simple because people would then complain about paying £40-£45 for a very similar game.

I'm really starting to like the game, on LAN's it could be brilliant, I'm just way over the public lobbies now...

Bitches don't know about my Lightwight Pro/ /Warlord Pro/ Marathon Pro Tomahawk face stabber class. Coming soon to Headquarters near you.

Pssh. Wait until I get Hardline Pro. Then watch the tears roll in as I reroll friendly chopper gunners into spy planes.

I like red dot sights

Red dot sights are fairly pointless I've found, as all of the iron sights I've come across are easy enough to aim with.

Edited by ManxTrialSpaz

Yeah i know that, but like there's been a few times where me and the other person was the last two. I hear their gun fire then i hear another one which hits me.

If you knife someone and get the extra bullets, you keep both bullets until you fire them, so if you were the last two left he just had two bullets left in his mag from when he knifed someone else?

Gun game is siiiiiick!

If you knife someone and get the extra bullets, you keep both bullets until you fire them, so if you were the last two left he just had two bullets left in his mag from when he knifed someone else?

Gun game is siiiiiick!

Oh really? I thought it was always one bullet no matter what.