Engergy Foods / Drinks?

Sam T

Hey guys,

I have a comp tomorrow, and i was wondering, are there any particular foods / drinks that give a noticable amount of more energy?

I'm feel quite un-fit for some weird reason, so anything will help i guess!

Probably highly unlikely, but if you know of anything post!

Sam. ^_^

Remembering to breath and try to relax on the sections instead of griping the handle bars and brakes as hard as you can is my tip for energy. You get so worn out if your tense all the way through a section.

Other than that I eat a bannana or two through the day, chocolate and lots of water.

I try to avoid eating too much "sit on your stomach" foods like sandwiches or pasties till after the last section.

Remembering to breath and try to relax on the sections instead of griping the handle bars and brakes as hard as you can is my tip for energy. You get so worn out if your tense all the way through a section.

Other than that I eat a bannana or two through the day, chocolate and lots of water.

I try to avoid eating too much "sit on your stomach" foods like sandwiches or pasties till after the last section.

Thanks for your advice, is very helpfull and I'll test it tomorrow! Do you not find eating chocolate gives you a stomach ache when riding?

I used to drink 4-5 monsters daily until they made me violently ill from the non-verbal end.

Now I'm down to only a few as I barely sleep, for comps though I'd steer clear as you'll get the crash after about 45-60mins (avg 30mins to enter your system, 15-30mins for it to wear off.)

Despite the rush dissipating in such a short time, caffeine can still f**k up your sleep for up to 8hours after.

I used to drink 4-5 monsters daily until they made me violently ill from the non-verbal end.

Now I'm down to only a few as I barely sleep, for comps though I'd steer clear as you'll get the crash after about 45-60mins (avg 30mins to enter your system, 15-30mins for it to wear off.)

Despite the rush dissipating in such a short time, caffeine can still f**k up your sleep for up to 8hours after.

No wonder that is like an over dose on caffeine.

I drink about 1 a week and have had no symptoms like insomnia from it.

They always sitck up my mouth and give me thicker spit -.-

I don't ride comps (yet) but genearlly i drink gatorade if i need some energy (by playing tennis, football, to recover from being ill etc.) always has worked. Just don't drain the whole bottle at once. ;)

Load up with slow release starchy carbohydrates the night before (brown pasta, brown rice, potatoes etc) and plenty of green veg too, alongside some sort or lean protein (chicken, fish etc). That should be enough to load your muscles with a good base of energy and minerals for the next day.

Breakfast on the morning of the comp, again starchy carbs. Porridge oats are great for this and should supply you with a steady source of energy for the next few hours. Drop in some fruit to sweeten it up. Make sure to continue eating every 2-3 hours after that to ensure a constant flow of energy. As someone mentioned above, a banana or 2 are great for this as a snack.

Keep yourself well hydrated too. Your body is gonna consume around 1 litre of fluids in an hour of exercise so make sure you're drinkin plenty. In regards to electrolytes, it's pretty simple to make your own mix. Just add a teaspoon of salt to a pint of fruit squash drink. Should do the job.

Basically, whatever you eat the 24 hours before your comp is gonna be what helps you the most and makes the most impact. Not just drinking Relentless etc every 20 mins for a quick hit followed by a blood sugar crash. A good, clean and balanced diet will have a HUGE impact on your riding ability.

Edited by giantwhore
  • Like 1