Anal Weight Saving!

MontySamba

they say that some people have used that frame for over 15,000 miles without problems! if i spent that much on a frame (regardless of it's weight) i certanly would want i to last longer that that! i know people who do well over 25k kms every year ! :blinkn imagine having to buy a new frame every year!!

actually i also know people who do that even without having to.. :ermm::lol:

P.S does anyone know what the lightest mtb is?

EDIT: random spanish words got in there somehow :ermm:

Edited by rhythm_101

they say that some people have used that frame for over 15,000 miles without problems! if i spent that much on a frame (regardless of it's weight) i certanly would want i to last longer that that! i know people who do well over 25k kms every year ! :blinkn imagine having to buy a new frame every year!!

really? i'd be prepared to sacrifice a degree of longevity for having the lightest bike in the world, in a race where every second and gram count it'd be worth it, besides you'd probably have a "heavy" bike to train on and you'd use that bad boy for race day...

930g mtb frame

Edited by ogre

really? i'd be prepared to sacrifice a degree of longevity for having the lightest bike in the world, in a race where every second and gram count it'd be worth it, besides you'd probably have a "heavy" bike to train on and you'd use that bad boy for race day...

i meant to say from an average riders point of view, as in official races there is a weight limit for security (i think ists around the 6kg mark) i know a very decent frmae could set you back between 2-3k plus all the components, it could easlly jump to around 6-7k for a full bike, i just think it's exsesive for a "normal bike" as in "i'll use it every time i go riding" thing. i suppose there're people with far too much money and time on their hands! :lol:

i know MSC did a full build "off the shelf" scanduim bike that weighed around the 8.7kg mark, with sus and full discs, that was about 4-5 years ago:

http://www.google.es/imgres?imgurl=http://www.bikezona.com/especiales/msc-2004/msc-festibike01.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.bikezona.com/especiales/msc-2004.asp&usg=__Mxj8sgBISiUj6lfmdPX0ZyA_Tco=&h=375&w=500&sz=26&hl=es&start=56&zoom=1&tbnid=ravflbCZY92geM:&tbnh=109&tbnw=139&ei=NydhTe3cJoSKlwfQ_-SRDA&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmsc%2Bscandium%26um%3D1%26hl%3Des%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:es-ES:official%26channel%3Ds%26biw%3D800%26bih%3D382%26tbs%3Disch:10%2C1996&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=508&vpy=89&dur=968&hovh=179&hovw=238&tx=186&ty=129&oei=IidhTbqcLYH-8Aa64PjkCw&page=8&ndsp=8&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:56&biw=800&bih=382

That's stupidly light, just look at the pedals..

worlds-lightest-bike-9.jpg

You could make it lighter still- take the back brake off, convert the drive to fixed, take the gears off, use carbon 3 spoke wheels, then it would be soooo light :P

Edit: and drill the cranks out a bit :D

Edited by Julius Czar

You could make it lighter still- take the back brake off, convert the drive to fixed, take the gears off, use carbon 3 spoke wheels, then it would be soooo light :P

Edit: and drill the cranks out a bit :D

Or use a hollow carbon crank, instead of that metal one.

I suppose bushings instead of bearings would give a weight saving too

and remove the front brake :P

Edited by thispartisrequired

That's stupidly light, just look at the pedals..

worlds-lightest-bike-9.jpg

they could save so much more weight on that, fixed gearing, horizontal dropouts so no need for mech hanger and tesioner, thiner bars, shorter seat tube, 24" wheels instead of 26" ? less material, no need for brakes if fixed wheel and those pedals are prety ridiculous to be fair haha the thing these days with racing or any sport its not down to the rider now, its got to such a competitive level that most riders have the same ability but there bikes or whatever there using is set up different, i have always wanted to see a motocross rider like james stuart to do a lap on his factory yamaha and then do a lap on a standard yamaha and both the laps to be timed and see what the difference is, i think that would be prety intresting :)

chris

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...