Try-All Carbon Forks

J.KYDD

:blink:

Trust me, any high level comp rider puts a hell of alot of stress through their bike and components.

No street basher is going to buy these, that much is obvious

K124 team aren't bashers though.

Would you class Jack Carthy as a 'basher'?

In 2012 we'll no doubt be able to buy these forks under the Speedrace, Bonz and Inpulse brand :P

I recently fractured the end of my carbon handlebars after hitting them against a rock. The weave just split. They'd be fine if I used bar ends but this has made me aware of the weaknesses of carbon fibre and personally I wouldn't want to dish out 200+ quid on a fork and damage it after a few weeks of riding.

In 2012 we'll no doubt be able to buy these forks under the Speedrace, Bonz and Inpulse brand :P

I recently fractured the end of my carbon handlebars after hitting them against a rock. The weave just split. They'd be fine if I used bar ends but this has made me aware of the weaknesses of carbon fibre and personally I wouldn't want to dish out 200+ quid on a fork and damage it after a few weeks of riding.

If these forks are only saving 200g over ally then believe me there will be plenty of spare capacity in them following any damage to the surface.

when they snap (which they most probably will)

What makes you say that?

Carbon forks (N)

People snap alloy forks easy enough. And like the bars, should you hit them either during riding or in a bail, the likelyhood is that you will chip them and make them useless.

Alloy and carbon are completely different materials? Alloy loves to work harden (carbon doesn't) and welding causes stress risers (in the brake mounts specifically), obviously carbon doesn't have this issue. I have carbon bars with plenty of small chips / scratches and they have been fine for over a year.

Agree with above. Why try and make super lightweight forks when the current ones still have weaknesses. Companies should try and maintain a good weight but work on making their products strong rather than stupidly light.

Thats what they're doing? Trying a different material with a better strength to weight ratio.

But Nick don't you know, carbon is lighter and therefore obviously lighter than Alu. And all carbon manufacturing techniques haven't improved at all.

Carbon can be a viable material, it's not the brittle, impact susceptible material it used to be (well not to the same extent).

As Luke said wait for a few "normal" riders to give them a go and see how they do. If they don't try then the sport can't progress. Alu forks have gone as pretty much as far as they can.

But Nick don't you know, carbon is lighter and therefore obviously lighter than Alu. And all carbon manufacturing techniques haven't improved at all.

Carbon can be a viable material, it's not the brittle, impact susceptible material it used to be (well not to the same extent).

As Luke said wait for a few "normal" riders to give them a go and see how they do. If they don't try then the sport can't progress. Alu forks have gone as pretty much as far as they can.

Personaly I wouldnt want to splash that much money on a fork unless it was very well established.

If they have been designed and produced correctly they should be excellent, stiff and strong and they shoult not fatigue. I would be worried that if they did break they would give no little or no warning and go rather spectacularly.

I think its definatly the material to be used but I would like to see it given a good battering before I would invest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_O9PLorYPA&feature=related

Bear in mind the Niner fork in the video is a lightweight 29er cross country fork.

And that's fatigue testing for a road bike fork.

Built and tested properly I'd have no concerns with using carbon forks for Trials.

Edited by Object
  • Like 1

"you can see the fork doesn't catastrophically fail" Yeah, as he is holding it in his hand, a few hooks however! I would rather ride the dented steel forks than the carbon ones.

I am sure these forks can be made strong enough, but the way I see it, they are made for maybe the very few riders who choose to compete at the very top. If you want to buy these forks to just go and do normal every day riding, then that's pretty stupid. I doubt they'll be any stronger than Trialtech forks, they are the only 4bolt forks I would recommend for every day use.

The ideal situation for these forks is for someone who has two bikes, one for every days use, then these forks would go on the comp only bike.

they look great but are a stupid idea and they have completely ripped of the speedrace prototype

Why are they a stupid idea?

I agree with Ali - They're not for everyone. But there is definately a market for these, especially in mainland Europe where riders tend to be alot more comp focussed than the Brits.

I consider myself relitively comp oriented but won't be buying these on the grounds of the high cost relitive to alloy. And they do't have a disk mount. And the weight saving wouldn;t make enough of a difference to me to warrant the outlay.

Why try and make super lightweight forks

It's called progress and innovation and it can only be good.

Companies should try and maintain a good weight but work on making their products strong rather than stupidly light.

Trialtech?

Problem with trials components is that they're made of materials which are of rubbish quality. If there was as much R&D going into materials used for trials bikes as there is for those used in the automotive industry, our bikes would not only be a lot lighter, but also a lot stronger. It all boils down to the market value which for trials is very low. So for now we're destined to ride piles of crap which somehow work.

for the stupidly small amount of weight youd be saving and the huge price tag, youd be paying for forks that will be rendered useless after one bail that would only scratch alu forks, unless your a pro and get sponsored meaning the price-tag isnt an issue and do comps/demo's/attempt to break records why?

• Like 1

Exactly the same reason that this weekend at Silverstone there'll be people driving around in fancy cars that wouldn't last 2 minutes on the open road. The same fancy cars that for years have been the testbed for new technologies that sometimes filter down into normal, every day cars that would last for more than 2 minutes on the open road.