Glasses

RobinJI

Bit of an odd topic, but basically, at the moment I wear contact lenses most of the time, which are limited to 12-13 hours a day, and occasionally I just really can't be bothered to poke my self in each eye first thing in the morning, so I've decided I need to replace my battered old back-up glasses (they're literally helf together with zip-ties laugh.gif) with some that I actually like, to try and wear glasses a bit more and contacts a bit less, especially since I've been spending a lot of time on computers for uni, and as I'm only short sighted it's actually quite nice not to have them in then.

So I'm looking for ideas of what sort of glasses to go for. It's not really something I've considered much before, and I know what suites me is down to my own face, but it's still nice to get some ideas of what other people have. I'll be getting them from boots, as I get them half price through my contact lens plan, but they seem to have a pretty decent range of styles.

At the moment I think these are my short list at the moment, and I think I'm favoring the ones on the left:

post-4312-0-04514500-1320266446_thumb.pn

Edited by RobinJI

I tried to find a non knobby pic of me in my new glasses but it doesn't seem to exist. Can't take a pic of them because they got completely obliterated the other weekend and are being repaired. Basically they look like the ones on the left of your group. They're French Connection and in Specsavers I got them with a set of Jasper Conran sunnies for £175. A decent set of glasses always look and feel so much better than cheapys, but I suppose if they're for backup you won't mind as much - I wear mine constantly as I don't get on with contacts.

We need a picture of your face to decide.

Here's me in my specs sucking on a mudslide.

314943_2429752382475_1211570819_33053577_1690540_n.jpg

Plain black plastic fossil frames. Be careful of the frames with no nose pads (the 1st and 3rd frames in your picture) as they're impossible to adjust as opposed to the 2nd frame in your picture which can be, and are generally more comfortable.

Try and get anti reflective coating, I did on my old pair and don't on these and I miss it. Makes everything clearer and it looks better aesthetically.

To be honest I hadn't really considered the extended use lenses, as I don't know much about them, but I'd still want some new glasses anyway. I'm not really bothered about having bad eye-sight for the few seconds in the morning before I lean across and grab my glasses, and my eyesight's not actually that bad anyway, so even without them it's not like I'm tripping over things. (prescriptions 0.75 and 1.0)

I definitely want something decent this time around, as I'm bored of only ever having tatty old ones. The ones on the left of that picture are Lozza LZI155's, and are £149, but I believe will cost me £75 because of my contact lens plan. I'm also planning on getting some prescription Aviators at the same time (These boots own ones if they feel decent enough quality, should be £50 on my plan), as I know they suit me and I've always liked them, which means I can just use glasses and forget about my lenses if I ever want to.

I have some really f**king awful ones that are cheap as anything that I wear from trials as the other ones just fall off my face. I look like a proper cock in them so I think I need to bite the bullet and get some better/nicer ones.

Contact lenses seem to be the answer, but as you say there is nothing worse than fighting on with them every morning. I wear them for XC days and my eyes are literally red trying to claw them out...monthlys may be a good option!

...or laser surgery

Have you considered the contacts you keep in for a whole month including sleeping with them in? I've been using them for about 3 years now and would never go back to glasses or any other type of contact!

Do they dry your eyes out dude or are they fairly unoticeable?

To be honest I get on fine with the contacts, they go in and out first try every time, with zero pain or redness caused, but it's still just something I can't always be arsed with, or if I'm running late it's 1 more thing to do. The only time they're a nuisance is if I make a last minute decision to stay somewhere, and don't have anything to store them in, or occasionally if I'm knackered/hung over and rub my eyes they'll come out of place and cause a rushed trip to the toilet, which can be embarrassing and a pain if I'm in a lecture in front of 100 other students.

And yeah, you're right JT, you do kind of need a photo of me, so here's a lazy one as of about 30 seconds ago:

post-4312-0-79446800-1320271069_thumb.jp

And one with my current glasses on:

post-4312-0-39747000-1320271084_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I have some really f**king awful ones that are cheap as anything that I wear from trials as the other ones just fall off my face. I look like a proper cock in them so I think I need to bite the bullet and get some better/nicer ones.

Contact lenses seem to be the answer, but as you say there is nothing worse than fighting on with them every morning. I wear them for XC days and my eyes are literally red trying to claw them out...monthlys may be a good option!

...or laser surgery

Do they dry your eyes out dude or are they fairly unoticeable?

I've tried every type of contacts going and couldn't do more than 5-6hrs in them, some only 1 or 2. These I can't even tell I'm wearing, current pair should have come out 2 days ago but I keep forgetting and can only just feel them!

....bike making a cameo appearance :giggle:

Haha, yeah, I keep my mountain bike in my room at uni, so it snuck into the background.

JT, I just saw the writing after the picture in your post, I didn't notice it before, the adjustment's something I hadn't thought about, but it's a very good point. I'll have to try them on and see how they feel before deciding, but I do generally prefer the look of the plastic framed ones to the metal ones.

Tried contacts. Loved em! just took me over 30 mins an eye to get in! Spec on the other hand. I went to specsavers and got a pair of Osiris and some other similar looking ones, on the bogoff they have

http://www.specsavers.co.uk/glasses/designer-glasses/osiris-706/

I only wear the Osiris one if I'm out in town. or after work. the cheap pair are for work, biking, or where they could get destroyed!

I was going to get laser but I couldnt for 2 reasons 1st being I couldnt afford it and 2nd. you have to have 4-5 eye tests that read the same before you can have it done. (well I was told that) But mine changes every time i go in! :(

I wear some I found in specsavers, cost £120 and was buy one get one free, so I got two pairs for that price (good job really as one broke the other day). I am pretty short sighted, but I HATE wearing glasses, I only ever use them for driving.

I tried contacts, but I HATE getting them in. I wish I liked them more as I hate not being able to see when out riding.

I started out with contacts disliking getting them in, no so much the feeling of touching my eye or anything, but it took me about 15 minutes, and a whole bunch of tries each morning, usually having to stop for a few minutes to let my eyes recover a bit mid way, which did put me off them for a while, but I randomly decided I was going to just get on with it after a while of not using them, and withing a few months it had become an easy first time every time thing. nearly 2 years on now I can normally get them in and out without even using a mirror. So if anyone's just being put off by trouble getting them in and out, it's worth persisting, because it takes a while, but it does get easy eventually. The only time I struggle now is really early starts or when I'm hungover, as my eyes just don't want to open enough to get them in.

No way! My gran has some just like that! :P In light transparent pink of course but...

I really dislike wearing glasses so wear my contacts as much as possible, though that may be due to the fact I'm virtually blind without them: -9.75 prescription anyone?!!

In that case your Gran is down with the kids and a proper G.

• Like 1

I know everyone - when being compared to someone else - always says "They look nothing like me", but yeah, I still want to say it in this context...

There's definitely a likeness, it's not major though...