The Car Thread

MadManMike

Well look at me Bob, I am terrifyingly fast on the road and easily as quick as you without putting in too much effort. But on track I am slow as f**k compared to you and haven't got a clue. I cannot believe how much you have to re-learn to be a competent track driver.

I think the MX5 is the best option, and then some airfield days like Prawn says. MX5's are such good cars, perfect to learn in and super rewarding.

Ok thanks for the advise guys got more of an idea what to look into, always liked the sound of MX5's, I'm not looking to go out at a billion MPH because I know learning to drive on a track is like learning to drive again. And corners have always been the best thing about driving, anyone can drive fast in a straight line, but getting round a corner at speed is real skill! At Brands (which I want to start at because I know the track inside out) they do novice evening sessions for £25 for 20mins with 4 sessions in an evening, that could be a bubble!

Well look at me Bob, I am terrifyingly fast on the road and easily as quick as you without putting in too much effort.

Haha, you're not terrifyingly fast on the road, you're just willing to take more risks than most....

Or least you were some years ago, now you're just slow :P

• Like 2

Can anyone explain to me about heatsoak from an air filter and how that relates to a turbocharged engine?

I was wondering this the other day in the shower lol.

Like, everyone says you want a nice cold air filter not soaking up heat from the engine hence the need for enclosed air filters etc.

But if the air is going to get super hot from being compressed by the turbo isn't it pointless having a "cold air filter" sort of thing?

Or does the air passing through the air filter correlate to the temperature of the air after it has been turbo charged, so the hotter the air before the hotter it is after if that makes sense?

Or once it has been compressed is the final heat final regardless of the temp it was prior to being in the turbo. Very interested!!

The main principle behind using a cold air intake is that cold air is denser than hot air, so has a higher concentration of oxygen which improves combustion.

Edit: not sure about the turbo situation though....

The engine is still getting some of the cool air whether there's a turbo or not........

Edited by Pete.M

Out of interest (never been on a track day) how does that work? Do they have fuel pumps on site running standard sort of rates or what?

They do, but they are usually pretty expensive. Jerry cans for the win!

Ok thanks for the advise guys got more of an idea what to look into, always liked the sound of MX5's, I'm not looking to go out at a billion MPH because I know learning to drive on a track is like learning to drive again. And corners have always been the best thing about driving, anyone can drive fast in a straight line, but getting round a corner at speed is real skill! At Brands (which I want to start at because I know the track inside out) they do novice evening sessions for £25 for 20mins with 4 sessions in an evening, that could be a bubble!

No probs. You have got it right there, it's allll about the corners!

A novice evening or two would be absolutely perfect - not long enough to kill the car, but a good taster for how it feels. In fact, if you bought a car at the right price, and didn't like it, you would be able to flog it on afterwards and not lose anything - I know people have done this for drift days (actually made money on the car so the drift day ended up being 'free'!).

No probs. You have got it right there, it's allll about the corners!

I think you learn more low powered cars (very similar to small motorbikes) in that you have to focus a lot more on your exit speeds, really excited at the prospect! Just need a job now! You don't happen to fancy employing a logistics controller do you Ads? haha

Cold air/turbo stuff

Increasing the temperature pre-turbo will increase the temperature post turbo. Turbos heat the air in 2 ways, firstly there's the heat inside the turbo its self from the exhaust turbine, which will cause heat soak into the inlet air, increasing its temperature. The larger the difference is between the air and the parts of the turbo heating it, the larger the heat transfer will be (it's an exponential relationship) so basically the hotter the pre-turbo air gets, the less this side of things makes a difference. The second way is the airs thermodynamic reaction to being compressed. When you compress a fluid its temperature will naturally increase. As you're compressing it the same amount whatever the pre-turbo temperature, (well, as near as makes no difference) the post-turbo airs temperature will be increased by a set amount, regardless of its initial temperature.

So yeah, cooler air in will mean cooler air out, but because of the heat transfer side of it, it will be slightly less than directly proportional. There's also the consideration of the intercooler. Because of the exponential nature of heat transfer, the air temperature that the engine actually sees post-intercooler will be even less proportional to the difference in pre-turbo temperature, and even more so the more efficient the intercooler is. So with a decent intercooler it wont make much difference what temperature air's entering the engine (it will make some, but not a huge difference), but will a struggling stock one it may make a noticeable difference, especially with the boost turned up. (Higher boost means more compression, which means more heat from the compression of the gas, it also means a hotter exhaust turbine because of the higher exhaust pressure/flow, so greater heat soak too!)

Basically, the answer is that hotter air in will mean hotter air out, but the amount won't be proportional, and will depend on the set-up. Cold air into the filter is always a good thing, but if there's a compromise to be had, then some considerations needed as to where it lies in terms of priority.

• Like 2

Haha, no worries, I got the impression you were after the reasons, not just the results, so thought I might as well explain my understanding of it. That's off the top of my head though, I've not checked it's true, so make of it what you will! It's all just logic once you know a couple of basic laws though, it's just getting your head around how it all works as a system.

(Edit, having said that, I'm pretty sure it is all true, that's 'off the top of my head' bearing in mind I have just finished a Motorsport Degree with a 1st so it's all pretty fresh in my head.)

Edited by RobinJI

Bought this:

600970_10151852641795317_1968909578_n.jpg

Did this:

241821_10151859700070317_61177812_o.jpg

235/40R17s on the rear.

Result:

177806_10151859699310317_1843934517_o.jpg

Stance is 90% done! Just need to get a bit of camber on the rears to tuck them in a bit more to lose the last bit of scrubbing.

Got a fun job coming up at the weekend! Got the common 17965 fault code, which is a boost presure problem causing it to go into limp mode. I've narrowed it down to the turbo vanes getting stuck open, causing it shut off the turbo and limp instead of over-boosting. Which means turbo off, strip it down, clean all the soot and crap from the insides and make it shiney, then put it back together and on again!

Wish me luck! I'm scared. :(

Looks awesome Dan, gotta love a dropped wagon. May need you for my rear archs!

Fronts all the way down, helpers out...

IMAG0490.jpg

Want the backs flaring abit so it can come down abit more to level it out. Rides well thou considering..

Anybody going to Stanford this Sunday??

• Like 1

Both wagons are looking good. I'm always tempted to drop mine some more, but it definitely needs the arches rolling up front, as it catches on lock as it is when it's fully laden. If only Dans was a Passat not an A4, we'd basically have 3 generations in a row all sitting low (excluding face lifts anyway). haha. Tom, I don't recon your rear needs to come down much, personally I'd be ignoring the angle of the sills and trying to get the distance from the wheel lip to the centre of the arch even front to rear, it's what catches your eye, and the rear being closer looks like reverse rake, which is never good. Plus it stops it looking as silly and driving as badly when you put weight in the back. I really need to sort wheels for mine soon, I'll grab the BBS off the Scirocco sometime, but I want something a bit bigger diameter eventually.

Off to Blyton Park this weekend to do passenger rides for the Mission Motorsport guys at the MX5 owner's club bash, looking forward to it!

Also trying for a world record attempt on the Sunday, most single make cars on track at any one time... They are hoping to get over 200 I think!

I wasn't so sold on the new focus until after seeing these pics of a zetec S. Subtle changes and its actually quite a stunning car I reckon!!

thoughts?

Yeah, I like em, prefer the standard ones though - don't like the big wing and black wheels on that.