The Car Thread

MadManMike

Alex, why not go for some grp sheet, if youre not that bothered about a touch more weight over carbon, it will be a lot cheaper. Im not sure of the availability to buy in sheet form to do whole door cards but you could always make it up in sections and bolt it onto an aluminium subframe inside the door if there are no suitable cross members to mount onto. Easier to work with than carbon aswell :)

edit: forgot to say the m3 looks rather purposeful there :)

Edited by forteh
  • Like 1

An Ariel Atom's are like what £20,000 but based on their performance (which your talking about) It should be worth £100,000 but its not. Performance "chip upgrades" and stuff doesn't make it worth more if the 182 is more desirable.

An Ariel Atom's are like what £20,000 but based on their performance (which your talking about) It should be worth £100,000 but its not. Performance "chip upgrades" and stuff doesn't make it worth more if the 182 is more desirable.

Don't be a retard Mike, you have missed my point by miles.

If that £20,000 Atom was constantly chipped and every single person offered him £17,000 for it then it wouldn't be long before the guy dropped the price.

That is what has happened to the 172 and is why it is so cheap, and it will happen to the 182 within the next year. Scrotes and young kids without much money want to buy that sort of car, so everybody who puts one up for sale is offered peanuts for it which results in the prices coming down. To a point now where there are more Clio Sports being broken for parts than sold as on the road vehicles, because they are worth more in bits.

My point is not performance to £'s it is that we as consumers control the price of used vehicles.

Edited by Pashley26

Asking prices are still high as people want to keep as much residual value in that model, and if they do still sell at that price (as they clearly do) then you'd be mad to sell it for less then you could've. They probably paid semi serious money and don't want it to move on without it giving some of it back?

Dunno my two cents...

I disagree Jardo, it's not buyers that are killing the market, it's the sellers.

car X is worth £4k, and it's commonly accepted. Chav A buys car X when he can't REALLY afford it, because all he's had before is a fiesta.

Chav A realises after a while he can't afford it, and needs money to buy drugs / booze / feed iligitimate child, and needs to sell the car quick, so puts it up at £3k for a quick sale when it's worth £4k.

Chav A exists everywhere, and cheap examples start to pop up more and more often.l

Respectable person A (RPA) is selling his car X also, because it's only worth £4k, and he wants a new porsche. He looks on auto trader, and sees many examples on car X, selling for between £3k and £4k. He wants a deposit for his porsche soonish, so decides to pitch it midway at £3.5k.

RPA is also everywhere, and sooner or later, a few desperate muppets have causes RPA to unknowingly drive down the market value of all examples of car X.

Rinse and repeat.

Meh.

Alex, why not go for some grp sheet, if youre not that bothered about a touch more weight over carbon, it will be a lot cheaper. Im not sure of the availability to buy in sheet form to do whole door cards but you could always make it up in sections and bolt it onto an aluminium subframe inside the door if there are no suitable cross members to mount onto. Easier to work with than carbon aswell :)

I did think about it. However, so much work has gone into making the interior look good and tidy that it'd spoil the overall effect more than the carbon weave will. The thing about these CF door cards is that they fit the door very well and cover up all the metal which is painted red, not silver like my interior. Another reason for using them is that they are available on the spot and to be honest I just couldn't be arsed with finding a good looking solution. There is very very little room between the door and cage.

You're not going to like my mini much then :P

Yeah but you're using the material properly. I have nothing against a car in which most panels are made of FG, CF just being a more expensive alternative. That makes for significant weight gains and if you're using FG and racing the car, repairs are dead easy. I do however find it an annoying material for pimping your car. CF bonnets for instance, first thing I'd do is paint it in the colour of the car.

One more picture from today. It's still missing most of the M spoiler kit, will look a lot beefier once assembled. Should have the end result on Monday. Rear end is going down and will be wider too. It's funny how much lighter the car is, rear spring height is the same as it was on the estate which was sagging pretty badly.

imag0268ne.jpg

• Like 1

I do rather like your m3 Alex, it just looks so right :) if you hate the cf wrap shizzle, then I guess I shouldn't show you inside my car...

Cheers for your help robin :) I raised my budge a bit and took a look at an Audi a4 today (£4k, parent loan til Saab is sold) and it was nice but there was just something missing even though it's a middle spec car and in fantastic order. Every car I have looked into just doesn't seem to tickle my pickle and I can't work out why. It sounds stupid but even with its faults, the Saab just has something about it that i love (regardless of its mechanical uselessness and other niggly faults) and I can't make myself like anything else but I know. Need to get someone reliable. Saabs also running extremely well currently with no more fault codes... It did this last time I threatened to sell it haha. I guess I'll see how the next few hundred miles go, checking the ecu regularly.

I'm wondering about going petrol if I do change now as ill get more for my money, something about 2l. Not looking for super speed, just cruiser comfort! Since my back operation, comfort has become more important to me and I noticed just how awful the b6 a4 leather seats were today, the cloth ones on my parents one are significantly more comfy and my Saab ones are silly good. Might go look at a BMW 320 coupe tomorrow and see how that feels.

I'm wondering about going petrol if I do change now as ill get more for my money, something about 2l. Not looking for super speed, just cruiser comfort! Since my back operation, comfort has become more important to me and I noticed just how awful the b6 a4 leather seats were today, the cloth ones on my parents one are significantly more comfy and my Saab ones are silly good. Might go look at a BMW 320 coupe tomorrow and see how that feels.

I can comment only on one brand that I know about fairly well, perhaps you should consider a 330d as an alternative to the A4? It's fairly quick but also returns very good mpg and appears to be reliable. The 320d would be the slower alternative with slightly better mpg (not much though!) but a lot less power.

If you don't like something about the cars you're test driving and don't know what it is exactly, then I'd hazard a guess it's the interior. The Saab you have has a fantastic cockpit feel about it that you just don't get in other cars. I chose my current daily driver solely on the interior which I absolutely love, no other car I've driven since gives that feeling of being enclosed in a mobile home.

Think he'd struggle to get a decent 330d for £4k unfortunately. I test drove a 330ci before I got the LCR, and was thoroughly unimpressed, it just seemed really dull and lardy. It wasn't in the best of condition either, which might have subconsciencsly put me off it I guess.

What colour is that?

its atlantis blue from the e9x 3 series

only other UK e36 i have seen this colour was on bimmerforums and the user hasnt posted since 2008 so seems quite rare.

Edited by Bucky
  • Like 1

I can comment only on one brand that I know about fairly well, perhaps you should consider a 330d as an alternative to the A4? It's fairly quick but also returns very good mpg and appears to be reliable.

Apparently the e46 330d has significant timing belt issues - a very expensive fix if it goes. I dunno about in Poland but in the uk, the diesels command a far higher second hand value. Ie you'll have to do loads of miles to make up the difference. I'd just go for a petrol, personally. 335i coupes look niiiice.

Having said that, if ride comfort is the name of the game, I'm not sure BMW coupés are the best option.

Apparently the e46 330d has significant timing belt issues - a very expensive fix if it goes.

Strange, never heard of that to be honest. The camshafts are chain driven, as in almost every bimmer. I'm rather surprised that fails, one would have thought that it's a lifetime solution. My engine is at about 300k miles now, there's some concern regarding chain stretch which could be causing the engine to run slightly unevenly at low revs but that's about it.

As for the price of diesels yes, they are more expensive. But if the budget is 4 grand then you're probably looking at early 00' cars where the difference between diesel and petrol fuel economy is greater? A 320d returns about 55mpg when driven calmly, a 320i will probably struggle to get 35mpg.

I still don't really understand why....

Ive just never seen the draw to them myself :(

I never understood why either, but since I've started properly looking at them and things I want one. I used to think they were the biggest bag of gay arse shit ever, but actually when you look at it an EP3 OR an ITRis a great chassis, both have one of the best production NA engines for their size ever made, well spec'd, good looking and comfortable. They're a great daily from everything I can see.

They're not that bad Bob!

So, not happy with breaking my central locking, I decided to break my glovebox also.

Arse.

Did you try and open it from the drivers side and pull one half of the glove box out of the dash, leaving the left hand side of the glovebox hanging and just about to break?