The Car Thread

MadManMike

Here's something.

My car's windscreen wipers have gone funny. On intermittent mode it's like they can't muster the effort to wipe the whole rep. They fail part way through. It sort of feels like they're grinding but it might be the rubber shuddering across the glass. They work fine on the other two modes though.

Is it something to do with a duff battery? Or something else...?

We've had a MK1 Golf Cabriolet sat on the ramp for two days now. Its lovely but is seemly endless in terms of work needed....
Came in for two new brake cylinders, then the offside front wheel hub stripped (Bolts from the original steelies were too stubby for the new alloys and the owner never changed them) and we've been waiting on those for two days now, the one we were sent originally is wrong, and we haven't been sent the correct one yet.... Add a new clutch, brake lines, two new drive shafts and an exhaust and we're pretty fed up of it.

And this is the result of the owners sketchy attempt at lowering the thing....

534114_4807665437459_1168037697_n.jpg

Its shit, in short.

Edited by Echo Lite 09

My car is unwell. My guess is something's up with the driveshaft, but I'm far from a mechanic... Here's the symptoms:

When accelerating gently all is well. When the revs climb higher it gets very loud, almost like a vibrating noise. Also, when I change gear and press the accelerator again it jolts and knocks once as it engages.

It was louder than usual after I got it lowered, but I thought nothing of it. Now it's jolting and getting louder and some of the noises in 1st and 2nd are quite worrying. Taking it to the place that lowered it tomorrow but thought I'd get some opinions on here first.

Sounds like an engine mounting issue. I would guess the dogbone mount has failed (they seem fairly common to go). Other than that, it could be the downpipe touching something, but its unlikely seeing as you haven't changed the size of it.

If you drive along, and keep coming off the accelerator in short sharp bursts, does it knock every time?

If it is indeed a driveshaft issue (lowered cars eat cv joints!), best way to check it is to apply full lock both ways, and drive in a circle whilst listening out for noises. Clunking and clicking indicates a shagged cv joint.

Randomly had the guys from National Windscreens turn up today after failing to fit a new windscreen to the car a month or so back. Luckily I was here, so after a £75 excess I finally have one of the cars issues sorted. Go progress!

Sounds like an engine mounting issue. I would guess the dogbone mount has failed (they seem fairly common to go). Other than that, it could be the downpipe touching something, but its unlikely seeing as you haven't changed the size of it.

If you drive along, and keep coming off the accelerator in short sharp bursts, does it knock every time?

If it is indeed a driveshaft issue (lowered cars eat cv joints!), best way to check it is to apply full lock both ways, and drive in a circle whilst listening out for noises. Clunking and clicking indicates a shagged cv joint.

It knocks when I come back on the accelerator, in a similar way to a cheap bike hub engaging there seems to be a slight delay then a clunk as it engages.

I haven't tried the full lock thing, but I have experienced knackered CV's in a friends car and this is a different kind of sound and it doesn't seem to make any difference whether I'm turning or going straight.

Another symptom which I forgot to mention is that if I'm in neutral or in gear with clutch in and I rev the car it does rock a little bit, which would indicate engine mounts to me. That does seem likely.