The Car Thread

MadManMike

State of affairs at the end of today. Doesn't look like a huge amount done, but I've taken a hell of a lot out, and the weather wasn't really on my side either!

All ancillaries removed, inlet manifold removed, all wiring and sensors removed and labelled (and bundled up on the right hand side to give clearance for the engine removal), water pipes disconnected, battery removed, airbox and intake removed.
All that's left now is to remove the bumper and slam panel, driveshafts, and engine mounts...then it can come out! :D

1016519_10151677137661052_1611142433_n.j

On the Capri I would be looking at the prop bush, common issue is the prop bush wearing and causing the bulkhead to shake lightly. Turning left may be flexing the car slightly and causing your shake.

Is it like a tug at the wheel pulling it to the left, or is it the wheel shaking?

Ah cool, cheers! It's it's a weird one, bit of a shake - feels like your driving over cats eyes that are trying to pull the wheel left over every bump when you turn right. Does it under hard braking too. Will check the prop, never thought the two would be connected haha!

Ah cool, cheers! It's it's a weird one, bit of a shake - feels like your driving over cats eyes that are trying to pull the wheel left over every bump when you turn right. Does it under hard braking too. Will check the prop, never thought the two would be connected haha!

Warped discs is my new recommendation as well.

The prop issue was more common with Granadas, and that's where I know it from. But they're all the same under the shell.

Warped discs are pretty much a myth, it'll be pad pickup if anything.

Race 1 video from the weekend... first of two class wins, 6th (out of 20) overall. We share a grid with the Mk3s and they hammer us down the straights so you have to pedal pretty hard to keep up!

And Race 2... decent start for a change, lapped up to and including 3rd in my class (somehow :blink: ), took the class win, 7th/19 overall. A good weekend :D

Warped discs are pretty much a myth, it'll be pad pickup if anything.

Race 1 video from the weekend... first of two class wins, 6th (out of 20) overall. We share a grid with the Mk3s and they hammer us down the straights so you have to pedal pretty hard to keep up!

And Race 2... decent start for a change, lapped up to and including 3rd in my class (somehow :blink: ), took the class win, 7th/19 overall. A good weekend :D

Looks like a lot of fun that! I'm thinking about racing myself but can't justify buying a slow car just to take part in a few events each year. M3 is way too quick whereas that MX5 looks just right. It must be nice to race against competitors in the same car too and the track looks properly fun. What kind of tyres do you use on these events? Competition ones or normal DOT E?

What happened in 6:40 in the 1st video?

And finally, are there any rules about overtaking? On the rare occasion that I watch a race, I'm surprised at how drivers are overtaken - when are you allowed to keep your line regardless of what's going on around you and when must you back off and let someone overtake you? I find racing terrifying for this and many other reasons, unfortunately it's something I'll have to do sooner or later.

More questions. When you're going round the track and about to overtake someone, do you start to focus on the manoeuvre itself or are you just trying to go round corners as quickly as possible at the same time trying not to hit whoever you're about to overtake? I can imagine you can't concentrate too hard on your competitor else you'll go off the track? Same goes for someone sitting on your arse, do you let him past or forget he's there?

Furthermore, what happens under hard braking when you're sitting on someone's tail? Surely you don't have the reactions to start braking as soon as you see his stop lights, by that time you'll have smashed straight into him. How does that work? And what about quick corners in the same situation? You have someone obstructing your view and so close he could hit you any moment, unless the both of you take the corner in exactly the same way.

This is what I'll be faced with sooner or later, it's terrifying.

Edited by Greetings

Well thats mike burrough's e9, hes a bit of a legend, huge following.

Hes the main guy behind stanceworks.

He built |Rusty the iconic roof chopped e28

i dont like donks so everyone has an opinion

Edited by Bucky

1) Looks like a lot of fun that! I'm thinking about racing myself but can't justify buying a slow car just to take part in a few events each year. M3 is way too quick whereas that MX5 looks just right. It must be nice to race against competitors in the same car too and the track looks properly fun. What kind of tyres do you use on these events? Competition ones or normal DOT E?

2) What happened in 6:40 in the 1st video?

3) And finally, are there any rules about overtaking? On the rare occasion that I watch a race, I'm surprised at how drivers are overtaken - when are you allowed to keep your line regardless of what's going on around you and when must you back off and let someone overtake you? I find racing terrifying for this and many other reasons, unfortunately it's something I'll have to do sooner or later.

4) More questions. When you're going round the track and about to overtake someone, do you start to focus on the manoeuvre itself or are you just trying to go round corners as quickly as possible at the same time trying not to hit whoever you're about to overtake? I can imagine you can't concentrate too hard on your competitor else you'll go off the track? Same goes for someone sitting on your arse, do you let him past or forget he's there?

5) Furthermore, what happens under hard braking when you're sitting on someone's tail? Surely you don't have the reactions to start braking as soon as you see his stop lights, by that time you'll have smashed straight into him. How does that work? And what about quick corners in the same situation? You have someone obstructing your view and so close he could hit you any moment, unless the both of you take the corner in exactly the same way.

6) This is what I'll be faced with sooner or later, it's terrifying.

I thought of you when I posted the vids, hehe. It certainly is great fun, especially in the wet. Lots of questions! I'll do my best...

1) The MX-5s are SLOW in a straight line, but as you know all the fun is in the corners which is where they are awesome. In this series we all have to use your favourite Federal RSR-595 tyres - it helps keep costs down having a tyre that lasts well and copes with wet and dry conditions.

2) Did you mean 4:40? If so, it just locked up - the track was like ice. Zero feedback to the pedal and there was no chirp from the tyres! Suddenly realised it wasn't slowing down at all and had to bail out.

3) Overtaking... I think there are some specific rules, but we just keep it sensible and everyone's happy. Generally if you are weaving all over the track it's dangerous and nobody wants that. You will get people blocking sometimes but if you have enough speed / the balls you can just tail and slipstream them, wait for your next opportunity to get your nose up the inside.

4) It depends on the speed difference between the cars I find. If you're passing backmarkers they are often engrossed in their own race and don't really notice you - in this case it's your own responsibility to make the pass cleanly, so often you do it offline. This means watching them fairly carefully and thinking about the manoeuvre. If it's someone with similar pace, you tend to worry more about your line (if you go offline you'll drop back from them!) and try to ignore them, which is tricky... But to get to this point you need to look at 'the manoeuvre' and plan 2, 3, 4 corners ahead to get yourself in a position to make the pass.

An example would be dummying a look up the inside, making them come across to defend, then you head to the outside on the brakes to get a better line through the corner, and because they have gone in tight you get a better exit... Or deliberately sacrificing apex speed on one corner so you can get a better exit and carry more speed through an upcoming high-speed section. These sorts of 'tricks' aren't as apparent in mixed vehicle racing, but single marque helps you develop them.

If someone's behind you, you need to know where they are (that's why I have the huge mirror in that car). As soon as you don't know where they are you're likely to lose the place and it can be dangerous if you turn into them accidentally.

5) Again, for me, it's different depending on who you're passing. If it's a back marker you're probably going to be later on the brakes than them, so you just send it up the inside. If it's someone with similar pace, you'll be braking about the same place, so you aim to brake where you normally would and keep a close eye on their brake lights just in case!

Same with corners really, although having to lift out when you catch a back marker mid-corner can be dangerous... See 6:48 in the second video! The next lap I deliberately braked earlier to give more space, so I could accelerate through the corner and therefore take a higher speed into the straight.

You do have to put a lot of trust in the other drivers though... it takes a while to learn which ones you can trust and those you can't, but once you know they aren't going to fire it off into you, you can get super close and have some amazing battles.

6) That looked brilliant fun, very long lap!

I thought of you when I posted the vids, hehe. It certainly is great fun, especially in the wet. Lots of questions! I'll do my best...

Thanks a lot Adam! You've cleared quite a few things up for me, although I'm not sure how some of that would apply over here. While in the video you can clearly see the friendly atmosphere - mostly emanating from you greeting your competitors after a successful overtake :P - I'm not sure the same would apply my end where the entry level is the national cup, and there are no smaller events taking place. I'd absolutely LOVE to do an amateur race in that Mazda, looks like a properly fun car and like you say it's slow which can only be a good thing.