The Car Thread

MadManMike

Fair enough Alex.

9 times out of 10, you'd be amazed at the difference with a fresh set of OE discs and pads, and a new bleed with decent. it can make really shocking brakes into fantastic ones, simply due to age and condition of the standard parts.

Will do a re-bleed then especially as it probably hasn't had one for years.

Ads, indeed :P Just feels weird how hard you have to press in order to get the ABS going. I feel something needs to be done about this because I almost hit a cyclist who didn't quite know how to move around public roads the other day. Had the brakes been sharper it wouldn't have been such a close call. I'm not expecting them to be as sharp as in the M3, that said though the sharpest brakes I've experienced were actually on a new X5. Almost an on/off button but after getting used to them, they felt fantastic.

As promised, here's an onboard video of some probably Norwegian guy with a pixelated face driving an M5 much too quickly (A) But it's mostly about the audio so if you like a V8 soundtrack, you might enjoy this. 720p.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXxCKNlnKRs

I've finally worked out what the M5 is for. It's for getting from point A to point B very quickly without even knowing how fast you're going (and you won't know because the steering wheel covers the speedo). That car feels about 40kph slower than it actually is, which to be honest is not a good thing. Far prefer it the other way round.

• Like 2

What will you be using to paint? Carbons fairly deep in texture and either needs heavy coats or a lot of multiple coats to get a smooth finish. If aerosols you might be better of asking a bodyshop to lacquer them, it'll work out cheaper for you. I don't know 100% of a lacquer tat adheres to carbon thou.

Has anyone on here had a mk2 golf gti? If so what are they like as a daily? Are they fine to live with everyday? The one I'm looking at also has a 1.8t conversion so it's quick enough

That kind of negates the first question.

I had a mk2 gti and it was the best car I ever owned, but it did often break down on me. My friend also had one and it was the most reliable car he's ever owned. If it's been looked after then they are fine. If its had a conversion done to it, hopefully it'd be done right and had a general overhaul.

That kind of negates the first question.

I had a mk2 gti and it was the best car I ever owned, but it did often break down on me. My friend also had one and it was the most reliable car he's ever owned. If it's been looked after then they are fine. If its had a conversion done to it, hopefully it'd be done right and had a general overhaul.

Was it ok to live with, with such a basic interior compared to most modern cars?

I have a mk1 caddy, so I can relate to the interior side of things on the front half. It's very easy to live with, I prefer it to most cars. I had a honda jazz and I prefer the caddys interior over that.

Also to you lads going on about brakes.

1979859_630577990330560_1680778609_n_zps

Having been in a few twitchy moments on the M1 when the car in front panics. ABS is wonderful when it works in a situation like that. However, it can be a right pain when you're having fun and it gets involved for no reason!

ABS is the first thing I switch off after starting the car, glad to have that option, hate it!

You've either got really shit tyres, REALLY intrusive ABS, or you're driving irresponsibly on the road :lol:

I have ABS active, and it's never an issue.

I can't remember the last time I locked a wheel on a tarmaced road. The only time I've ever made ABS kick in was driving my Mums Fabia over the Welsh mountains in the snow, at which point I wanted it to sod off and die. Personally, I think it's a good thing to exist on most peoples cars, but daily driving without it doesn't bother me at all.

As for daily driving a mk2 Golf. It'll all come down to how well it's been looked after. The interiors aren't actually that basic, there's no exposed metal or anything and hi-spec ones got power steering, electric windows, central locking etc.. It depends on the spec and condition of the car. If it's a basic early model with 200k on the shell and nothing done other than doubling the power output (and potentially removing any real suspension), then it's going to be a bit sketchy and potentially horrid. If it's been looked after, and the conversion's done well it should be a reliable and fun car. A good condition one that's been looked after's actually a pretty comfy cruiser. The interiors are well made and solid feeling, much nicer than a lot of modern stuff in my eyes.