The Car Thread

MadManMike

Clio helps me get a boyfriend lol (see that Mike, self piss taking is what you should do and no one bats an eye lid ;))

But nahh, depends if they're into cars I suppose? Haha mine surprised me the other morning and went "wow look at all the beading on your car it looks so good"

keeper haha

That geo all looks fine really, basically what I'd expect from a small hatch set-up to factory spec. The caster's a perfectly normal angle for a small hatchback, don't worry about it. More would probably be nice, but it's almost certainly impossible to adjust anything but front toe, and a very small amount of front camber, both of which look fine, and if anything airing towards stability. What sort of speed are you talking about it being twitchy at? If we're talking 3 figures it could just be a result of it having the aerodynamics of a car designed for running around town, not blasting autobahns.

Only the thing you have is worth having and everything else is shit... For a change.

Pipe down, Jardo, you don't half make yourself sound a willy all the time...

PS3's are shit.

Have you ever driven a car with Pilot Sport 3's on?

I'm going to hazard a guess at no, making you unable to comment on my opinion of whether they are shit or not. (Which they are for the money)

They're incredibly soft, you'll be lucky to get 6k pit of them.

They're over priced. £80-100 online. You can buy NS2R's, 595-RSR's, AO48's and for £12.50 more R888's. Or Rainsports...

They "go off" very harshly when you get to half tyre life. I drive a set on my friends Suzuki Swift when he got them, and they seemed like a decent set of tires (until he told me what he had paid), I drove them 4 months later when he was on about 4500 miles of life from the tires, under steering left right and center, shocking in the wet. Really felt budget.

It doesn't have to be the tires that I have, it was more a generalization. I'd be picking up a set of Rainsports or something like that.

But as you clearly have no idea about tires at all because you just get whatever they have at the scrappies (lolz) I wouldn't suggest anything other than you trying to have a pop at me.

Heaven forbid you try to reaffirm Dan's choice or offer him an alternative instead of being a dick.

Edited by Pashley26

As Robin says, 3 deg caster is spot on for a Clio, and its not adjustable without aftermarket parts. I know why your setup was so cheap now too Dan, all they adjusted was front tracking (which is fair enough since that's all you can adjust on a Clio as standard). Them calling it a 4 wheel alignment is probably a little OTT, haha. But yeah, it should drive fine with that geo as long as no bushings / joints are f**ked, tyres are decent, etc

Asked the Clio lot and they all say Pilot sports take the edge when compared to Rainsport3's. Quite a big on going debate and everyone rates the PS's

Great reviews here too!

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Michelin/Pilot-Sport-3-PS3.htm

As Robin says, 3 deg caster is spot on for a Clio, and its not adjustable without aftermarket parts. I know why your setup was so cheap now too Dan, all they adjusted was front tracking (which is fair enough since that's all you can adjust on a Clio as standard). Them calling it a 4 wheel alignment is probably a little OTT, haha. But yeah, it should drive fine with that geo as long as no bushings / joints are f**ked, tyres are decent, etc

Ahh yeah cheers mate, appreciate that. Ahh when I said 4 wheel alignment I was mainly referring to the system they use as they call it a hunter 4 wheel alignment don't they? as it's really accurate and indepth compared to the lasers.I probably should have explained that to stop myself looking silly, not jardo silly, just silly.

Edited by dann2707
  • Like 1

Ahh yeah cheers mate, appreciate that. Ahh when I said 4 wheel alignment I was mainly referring to the system they use as they call it a hunter 4 wheel alignment don't they? as it's really accurate and indepth compared to the lasers.I probably should have explained that to stop myself looking silly, not jardo silly, just silly.

Yeah, that makes sense. I guess it checks the alignment of 4 wheels so we'll let them off on a technicality ;)

There's nothing wrong with a good laser alignment, all the known methods (string, laser, Hunter, etc) produce perfect results with good care, just the Hunter systems are easier to get something close in a short space of time (ie. ideal for a garage).

caster does have a big effect on the feel of the car. I increased the caster on the civic with after market bushes and it feels alot better for it. How do you mean by twitchy? light? or feeling like its unsettled by bumps etc?

Had a good giggle at as castle coombe at the weekend at their action day. Manged to get a couple of clear runs out on the track without been wiped out by various numptys. Cracking weather and good to catch up with some old faces :)

15042863449_2d77150374_c.jpgIMG_9786 by djgritt, on Flickr

15043059687_3c7217b1b6_c.jpgIMG_9787 by djgritt, on Flickr

15042866659_7f309055cf_c.jpgIMG_9818 by djgritt, on Flickr

caster does have a big effect on the feel of the car. I increased the caster on the civic with after market bushes and it feels alot better for it. How do you mean by twitchy? light? or feeling like its unsettled by bumps etc?

Had a good giggle at as castle coombe at the weekend at their action day. Manged to get a couple of clear runs out on the track without been wiped out by various numptys. Cracking weather and good to catch up with some old faces :)

Just feels like it's being thrown left and right when around 60mph down back roads. Not so much twitchy just like, wandering steering is the best way to describe it.

I'm wondering if it's linked to the dogbone, as if that's shot which I'm fairly certain it is (hard to get in gear sometimes, wheel hopping, hesitation after hear changes) then it's moving the engine and that's the weight that's throwing it all over??,

Also getting the car being pulled to one side when braking heavily.

Edited by dann2707

Thanks for the essay, Jardo but the thing is, its whatever you've bought whether it be tyres, suspension or an air freshener, even if you've only had whatever it is for 1 day, that automatically makes EVERYTHING else in the world shit and a waste of time, even if the alternative is the best or second best thing on the market... Best bit is, most of your opinions are based on Prawns, but you dont see him ripping people apart for using components that suit their budget do you?

Btw your whole car is a heap of shit because F1 cars are better.

Rein it in a bit, pickle.

Edited by Jolfa
  • Like 1

Thanks for the essay, Jardo but the thing is, its whatever you've bought whether it be tyres, suspension or an air freshener, even if you've only had whatever it is for 1 day, that automatically makes EVERYTHING else in the world shit and a waste of time, even if the alternative is the best or second best thing on the market... Best bit is, most of your opinions are based on Prawns, but you dont see him ripping people apart for using components that suit their budget do you?

Btw your whole car is a heap of shit because F1 cars are better.

Rein it in a bit, pickle.

I've bought my fair amount of shit in my time, and told people alllll about it.

Who said anything about budget? I offered Dan an opinion on something which is the same price if not cheaper than what he has purchased.

What opinions have I got based around what Nicks done? Does he have the tires I suggested?

Because you don't know, I'll give you the answer. No he f**king doesn't.

If anybody needs to reign anything in then it is your needless bashing of me in the first place which was totally uncalled for, unhelpful and un-constructive.

WW3 engaged.

Got my porsche booked in for an mot on Thursday, got a horrible feeling it will fail on emissions :( and even worse I have a bad feeling they will fiddle with settings to get it to pass without knowing what they are doing, eurgh.

If it's a bad failure then I'll keep the Astra until the engine has been swapped for the1.8t/audi 2.3t, don't want to pump more money into an engine I'm not keeping

I'm tempted to get some NS2-Rs, but I wouldn't recommend them to Dan really goinoffnwhat I understand he uses his car for. (Hell, I probably wouldnt recommend them to myself thinking about it haha) I'll only have them on a second set of wheels, sod having them as my only option through a British winter. I might also be getting some part warn rally moulded slick for a laugh, just because a friends got some spare. Can keep them as a secret weapon if I ever do anything like Curborough. The ATS that are on my car now will probably get some rainsports for normal road use though.

Jardo, don't bark your opinion as an order and people might complain less. I got it because I know you (although its been too long :(). But I can see how what you said makes yuou sound like a willy to everyone who doesn't know/understand your mannerisms.

Edited by RobinJI

Managed to get time to do some pre mot checks, top mounts fixed, exhaust fixed and a few bulbs replaced out back (they were working last week!). Rear fog isn't working but I'm wondering if the engine has to be running for it to operate but didn't want to disturb the neighbours at this time of night (my cars fairly loud).

My intermittent wiper isn't working but the other speeds do... Will that be an issue?

Managed to get time to do some pre mot checks, top mounts fixed, exhaust fixed and a few bulbs replaced out back (they were working last week!). Rear fog isn't working but I'm wondering if the engine has to be running for it to operate but didn't want to disturb the neighbours at this time of night (my cars fairly loud).

My intermittent wiper isn't working but the other speeds do... Will that be an issue?

Shouldnt be an issue, most testers just give the screen washers a blast and see if the resulting wiper motions clear the screen effectively enough.

Most fog lights do work on ignition alone, if you have the means to see if you've a live to that bulb holder have a look see, or try another bulb.

• Like 1