The Car Thread

MadManMike

Reputable bearing brands?

Ive picked up a 1.2 Twinport Im going to scavenge parts off to make my non Twinport 1.2 healthy again.

Looking to replace the big end bearings and thrust bearings.

Cylinders are being honed by a local engineering firm so Im going to go with new piston rings too, again, brands to avoid/go for?

Edited by SamKidney

I wouldn't bother. Save your money. Buy a civic. Job done.

Regarding my Ek9 though, my BackYard Special bumper turned up today after a 7 week wait. Was ever so excited ripping open a huge box but to find out it's a Prefacelift bumper not a facelift. Balls.

Edited by LiamWood!

I wouldn't bother. Save your money. Buy a civic. Job done.

Regarding my Ek9 though, my BackYard Special bumper turned up today after a 7 week wait. Was ever so excited ripping open a huge box but to find out it's a Prefacelift bumper not a facelift. Balls.

The twinport cost me £40.00 and a set of main bearings is no more than around £30.00. Shouldnt cost me any more than £100.00 to do, and should take a few late evenings back at work to do. Whatevers left of the donor engine can be sold to recoup the money I've spent.

Aiming to have it half right to sell, the money from which is most definitely going on a Civic.

Edited by SamKidney

I'm fairly sure the turbo seals on my A3 are gone, there is lots of little black specks on the back of the car suggesting its spitting oil. Just how hard is it to rebuild a turbo? Or should I avoid this and have mine rebuilt or buy a brand new one? I had heard that rebuilds have a bit of a high failure rate, I'd rather just buy a new one if that is the case

Nearly all my cars have spat tiny specs of black (turbo and non) including my current car with a near new turbo on it (especially if I havent used it in a while), I wouldnt be too worried!

In boring car news, did a full fluid service today - gold oil, blue brakes, green steering and pink coolant :smartass:

I've had a turbo failure before on my Saab, just lost power and spat oil, fortunately nothing broke and the car was fine after a brand new replacement. The Audi is performing fine, but I know something needs to be done soon as i'm hammering through oil now :( Fingers crossed the Porsche passes tomorrow and then I can quickly fit up its new bits then take the Audi off the road for a strip down, i'm guessing the turbo will be a sod to get to on a 2010 1.8T?

Ahh my bad read it wrong slightly, I wouldn't be too worried until you start losing power... But I'm no expert.

I might be buying an old mini clubman. Reshelled, big brakes, alloys, New engine.... Was a project that has been on hold for the last 20 years... It's immaculate.

I bet it breaks down or something majorly wrong happens within the first few weeks of you owning it!

On another note, anyone know much about Ford diesels? My 2.0 TDCi has a weird problem, occasionally (but mainly cool mornings) when I start it up the turbo won't spool up whatsoever. It usually bites between 1500-2000rpm but when this happens it does nothing at all and can only be sorted by stopping the engine, waiting a few seconds then firing it up again. It's not showing any codes either which doesn't help but at the same time usually the ABS takes a while to kick in so I'm partially without brakes unless I really f**king stomp on the pedal hard.

Any suggestions??

What type of pump is it? With the Bosch ones you have to take a cap off to get to the important bits.

Little bit of digging around I believe it is a Bosch pump yes. I cant find a part number on it anywhere though, not without taking bits off.

Google tells me; 0460 404 056 - That should be the number. I cant find an assembly diagram anywhere though..

Edited by Boumsong

I bet it breaks down or something majorly wrong happens within the first few weeks of you owning it!

Probably right, seems to be the case with all things I buy haha!

It is a brand new engine though, New shell and fully reconditioned running gear etc.. its more of an investment than anything else. He wants comparatively little for it and they sell on for much more

About time you gave the mini a bit of TLC Nick. Its looking rather pink. Send it to Jardo (but don't let him drive it).

Probably right, seems to be the case with all things I buy haha!

It is a brand new engine though, New shell and fully reconditioned running gear etc.. its more of an investment than anything else. He wants comparatively little for it and they sell on for much more

Whos it off/from? Who built the engine? Have i seen it around Leeds before :P

• Like 1

About time you gave the mini a bit of TLC Nick. Its looking rather pink. Send it to Jardo (but don't let him drive it).

Whos it off/from? Who built the engine? Have i seen it around Leeds before :P

I'm not saying anything ;)

Engine is new in as much it hasn't been run since it was dropped into the shell 20 years ago following purchase before the resto was abandoned. It's not been out of its Garage in 30 years so I doubt you've seen it ;)