The Car Thread

MadManMike

10593195_10204778731452283_7473526771961

Tow car of the year 1952 strikes again.

This guy had been waiting 2 and a half hours for the AA with a broken gearbox, gave him a tow across town to his farm. Gained a mate, 30 quid, a cuppa, the earth connectors I need to fix my melted wires, played with some Rottweiler puppies and subsequently met a guy in town who has the rare as f**k press for my rear axle bearings.

Good morning was had,

• Like 5

Just feels like it's being thrown left and right when around 60mph down back roads. Not so much twitchy just like, wandering steering is the best way to describe it.

I'm wondering if it's linked to the dogbone, as if that's shot which I'm fairly certain it is (hard to get in gear sometimes, wheel hopping, hesitation after hear changes) then it's moving the engine and that's the weight that's throwing it all over??,

Also getting the car being pulled to one side when braking heavily.

Lowered? Standard sized tyres/wheels or bigger?

Edited by mad_gavo

What hair? :P

Car problem(s) albeit minor. Think I've got a sticking piston as once I've hit the brakes hard a few times I get a stupidly loud goose honk sound from the front left at lower speeds, embarrassing when I'm crawling over speedbumps at 2mph with the noise making everyone stare. Going to get big red to send out 2x front calipers this month and replace the rears when money allows. Also need to raise the ride height (a lot) as currently the wheels sit inside the arches and ever minor dips in the road make the tyres rub!

I've also got a weird sort of clicking sound that sounds like it's coming from the Tbar, I'm certain it's either a dodgy bush or a captive nut on the subframe has gone though as the car does sometimes have a wandering "wobbly trolly wheel" sort of feeling sometimes.

And to top it all off my clutch is about to die, there's no longer a bite point and it slips when cold. All these combined are turning my cheap little (barely) sports car into a slow moving, never using the brakes granny car.

Ahh well, all part of the fun I spose

Update time.
This arrived, so happy with it, made a massive difference in my opinion. It's a c2 stubby aerial.
Before:
After:
I'm getting a wandering feel when driving at speed, accelerating etc pulling left and right so im trying to find the root of the issue! New shiny parts always makes me happy :D
15260898645_c4e877a8b2_b.jpgDSCN2636 by dann2707, on Flickr
Got the old ones off
15257797751_e726893057_b.jpgDSCN2637 by dann2707, on Flickr
I haven't driven it yet but i'm hoping it's solved the problem :)

Have it re-tracked Dan. We've done a good few Clio ball joints where I am and while they all look identical it can throw the tracking off.

My cars broken (again) and properly this time. Engine made some noises, and stopped.

New engine is around 200-250 quid.

I can buy a whole replacement car with tax and test for £350 with tax and test and in a better specced trim...

Edited by SamKidney

So just drove to a friends in camberly for a night out. Car drove like shit, tram lined and pulled me into a raised manhole cover and put a nice little scrape on my wheel, sounded like the tyre had blown up as if it was about 60psi with a weird high pitched pop noise, as I pulled over to check yet another tram line pulled me into a dip and I scraped the front lip quite bad :(

So, need clutch, track rod ends, refurb and tyres on my new set of wheels this month. Might need to dip into savings until I get the rotas sold on.

Fixed my boost leak a few days ago. Popped off straightaway on drive home. I take a look under tonight and see this:

10450445_10204743108481956_2942087306757

First thing I thought was that aint moving. Loosened lower hose off and spent about 10 minutes wriggling it free haha, was so relieved it came out, I could have just stuck it in reverse but I couldn't be bothered to take the car off axle stands etc.

Used cable ties to hold the pipe in place while tightening up the clip as it seemed to push itself loose every time, didn't picture this but there was literally so many haha.

How it is now: held on okay on the drive round the block, will get jubilee clips for lower pipe tomorrow and hopefully my new boost pipes arrive soon, these are shagged! Got a 50mm bore aluminium pipe and two demon tweeks boost connector silicone pipes which were £22 each!!

10696356_10204743550573008_6430891551601

I'm hoping the new boost pipes will solve my boost leak for good, pretty sure air is coming out of the sides of the pipe that rubbed against the driveshaft, there's no visible ones but I'm sure there is.

Also, how long should I let the car warm up/down for with a turbo? I've started to hear people mention this and I've not heard about it before, my turbo was still pretty hot about an hour after a ten minute drive home.... I'm guessing this is down to the fact there was no pipe from the intercooler and it was taking in standard air?

Also, how long should I let the car warm up/down for with a turbo? I've started to hear people mention this and I've not heard about it before, my turbo was still pretty hot about an hour after a ten minute drive home.... I'm guessing this is down to the fact there was no pipe from the intercooler and it was taking in standard air?

The reason people talk about warming down is to do with oiling and prolonging the life of the bearing in the turbo. It will still be spinning pretty quickly and could spin itself dry when you stop and shut off the engine, idling for a minute or two lets it wind down a bit while the oil is still pumping.

• Like 1

Jake are you sure you and your mate put the boost pipes on correctly and the right way around? Look at my progress thread on briskoda, they fit absolutely perfect without the aid of cable ties etc. It's all designed so it goes around the contours of the car with no issue x