The Car Thread

MadManMike

I always unlock my car from the house, go outside, intend on grabbing something from it then when I finally get to it it's f**king locked, then have to run back inside the house and do it all again.

When I need to enter my car, I carry the key to the car- press unlock. Get my sh*t, press lock and then walk away. I've never had any problems ;)

Also 30 seconds is a pretty long time, your driveway must be about 100m long...

Edited by TrialsIsHard
  • Like 1

Well for the keys to be in the ignition you've got to have opened the door.

If the car is unlocked, once a door has been opened the car will never re-lock until you tell it to.

True, but if you press the lock button while keys are in the ignition, i don't thiiiink it will lock the doors?

Not that that makes any difference to anything but yeah.

My boot sensor is f**ked so doesn't recognise the boot as being open and as such locks even if boot is open. Therefore keys in the boot = bad idea.

When I need to enter my car, I carry the key to the car- press unlock. Get my sh*t, press lock and then walk away. I've never had any problems ;)

Also 30 seconds is a pretty long time, your driveway must be about 100m long...

I don't even know how it happens. It's just f**king annoying, being dictated by my car thinking it knows what's best for me haha

I always unlock my car from the house, go outside, intend on grabbing something from it then when I finally get to it it's f**king locked, then have to run back inside the house and do it all again.

Just take the keys with you, you spaz.

Edited by Jolfa
  • Like 1

He won't fit secondhand parts but at least I have areas to work on now.

Every WUR I get seems to be dead, so going refurbed/new then is seemingly best but pricey at about £250 :( I did see that you can do them at home by pressing the steel inserts in and out to adjust pressures so I may try that with one of my spares, not like they are much use anyway.
I found my spare distributor and it has a working vacuum advance so that's handy, at least that is one problem fixed and i'll gain back some power.
I think AAVs are rebuildable kind of, so i'll hack apart one of my spares and see what happens. I find this weird as mine was functioning when I last tested, and fitted the photos online but he reckons it should be opening further.
Injectors can wait until the rest is getting somewhere as it seems they are not as pressing in comparison

Are you sure its not the wiring rather than the WUR itself? Besides if its stuck on hot then all it will effect is startup...

Soak the injectors in coke for a bit, might help, or just pick up some Golf ones for sod all, nobody wants them.

And that air valve does nothing, never even had it connected on most my old Golfs, bunged up the hole with a wine cork :)

That will be £1100 please ;)

Edited by Jolfa

The WUR wiring has been replaced and produces 12V when tested. Startup is one of my main issues as it is very difficult to get going! I have used an ultrasonic cleaner on the injectors, although dipping them in teeth destroying acid coke sounds like a good way to get rid of some poop! I'll try backwashing them with some tube, carb cleaner and air compressor.

The AAV does make a difference, a working one changes the idle by 150RPM, which aids cold starts rather a lot.

In all fairness to the dude, he hasn't tried to force me into spending anything, this is just what he would change. He said If I wanted to fit secondhand parts and return for it to be tweaked then that's cool.

George, that is my thinking which is why i'm only repairing spares I have rather than spending any money. I'd rather put up with some lumpy running and save for a conversion than invest any more into this engine now.

I put my key in the slot and rotate it when I want my car to lock or unlock. It's not much of a hardship. It always does what I ask it to and nothing more. It's batteries cant run out and if my car gets 6" of water in it, no control module thingys crap their pants or commit suicide. It works just fine on my house, and garage, and bike lock, and filing cabinet... etc.

Shiny things arrived the other day:

post-4312-0-71806300-1415961885_thumb.jp

Edited by RobinJI
  • Like 1

Did anyone read Clarkson's (I know, chill out…) column on the pointlessness of manual gearboxes in modern cars?

If not, he basically said in cars being produced today they have no place. With all the other technology that is becoming common place in everything from the lower end of the market right up to the top and how many of modern-day cars features are automated why would we still produce manual cars, as it's a bit antiquated….. he did add leave them for the fun old V8's and what not, this was specifically for cars being made now.

Agree? Disagree?

Strange comment from him. Changing gear is part of driving a car for me. Plus auto boxes are heavier and more complicated, which goes against the spirit of making a drivers car IMO.

I agree that if you just want a tool to get from A to B then an auto box is nice though.

Strange comment from him. Changing gear is part of driving a car for me. Plus auto boxes are heavier and more complicated, which goes against the spirit of making a drivers car IMO.

It was more that it should be semi-auto type setups with flappy paddles. A case that an actual stick linked to the gear box requiring clutch control and what not is antiquated. He was saying that modern paddle based systems are quicker to react, more convenient, are (now) better through traffic and just make getting about in a car generally more pleasant. It was that sentiment mixed with if everything else from handbrakes to start-up systems have gone electric why would we still select gears manually? He did say he still wanted to have the option to override the auto with the paddles so it could be him deciding when to shift as and when.

It was more that it should be semi-auto type setups with flappy paddles. A case that an actual stick linked to the gear box requiring clutch control and what not is antiquated. He was saying that modern paddle based systems are quicker to react, more convenient, are (now) better through traffic and just make getting about in a car generally more pleasant.

I can't argue with that - but if you want to drive a car, all of those points are void I think. Good for getting from A to B, not good if you want to enjoy controlling the piece of machinery.

I haven't got time to explain the feeling of a 'perfect' downshift, but it's mega, and you simply can't do it with flappy paddles.