The Car Thread

MadManMike

Unfortunately it will probably look a bit crap, but that's kinda the point :D The colour will be whatever the body panels I use already are, haha. Looks like it'll be a mix of silver red and blue.

The idea was to build something mega cheap that would upset some posh stuff on track days - total cost so far is £1017, but may need a couple of rear view mirrors...

• Like 1

Snap oversteer coming off a roundabout, completely sideways for a good 30ft, if I had another car in the lane next to me that would've been bye bye mr2, think my arsehole created diamonds at that moment in time holy f**king shit, somehow managed to steer out of it

• Like 1

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu....

Got any photos for the "before" shot? (Before the repairs, obviously after the deer!)

Hi Luke, I completely forgot to get an assembled damage pic before work commenced, however I do have some pictorial updates:

11062132_10153315463544431_3268925742782

11391113_10153315463354431_2817725349493

11221528_10153315463654431_1045373818034

As you can see to replace the headlights is a fair amount of effort.

Most of that effort is the disassembly, removal and then the subsequent reassembly and installation of an old bumper with bits of broken plastic, bent under metal and the snapping of 50% of the rusted fixings.

Had to insert several threaded rivets throughout. Had to replace plastic locators with drilled and angle ground spacers and aralditing them into place. Basically a huge ball ache.

However, lights are in and aligned, angle eyes are wired in, new S2000 cone, brakes are all bled and working well (No more double braking YAY).

Also had the wheels aligned as best as possible after new tyres caused a rubbing. This is the best they could do:

11354755_10153315440699431_1435155439_n.

So my wheels are basically all over the place with no adjustment at the rears and all possible adjustment used on the fronts. Great. Can I get top mounts for my Weitec Hicon GT's? If so, where and how much? The guy also managed to snap a bolt on the hub to wishbone connection, but replaced it for me which was nice/good/appreciated.

Still need to dump the oil, replace the oil filter and level sensor and refill the oil. Also lots of effort on a car this low. A pit would make life much easier. I might be able to persuade that if I'm lucky!

Also, picking up my new arch liner tomorrow and might have ago at a vinyl wrap of the bumper. Fingers crossed the black of the vinyl matches the car's faded black.

Then I can finally start looking at the fitment of the manifold and rest of the exhaust, but this will require TIG welding so may be on hold until I find someone who can do that for me.

So progress is slow, but is happening.

Cheers, Ash

EDIT: Also cleaned up the intercooler as it had been leaking apparently. I didn't realise quite how blue those pipes were! Can see them through the grill sections now its all fixed. Might get some pics later of the lights in the dark. I like them even if they are a bit Chav

Edited by Ash-Kennard
  • Like 2

Massive ball ache for sure, but at least you've managed to get the majority of it sorted so quickly. Chav lights will match your rears nicely ;)

I had planned to get a few bits done to mine this weekend but picking up the Golf took priority. May get a chance this week perhaps.

Just need to track down some angle alu for hanging the FMIC core. B&Q still it in 2.4m lengths which I can't help but feel is a tad excessive :P Shall likely try and raid a workshop on base and knock something up to suit, so most awkward part will be cutting the crash bar.

May have to visit Nick for that.

Massive ball ache for sure, but at least you've managed to get the majority of it sorted so quickly. Chav lights will match your rears nicely ;)

I had planned to get a few bits done to mine this weekend but picking up the Golf took priority. May get a chance this week perhaps.

Just need to track down some angle alu for hanging the FMIC core. B&Q still it in 2.4m lengths which I can't help but feel is a tad excessive :P Shall likely try and raid a workshop on base and knock something up to suit, so most awkward part will be cutting the crash bar.

May have to visit Nick for that.

I agree, circles everywhere!

Get the 2.4m, I'm sure you'll use it for something.

I assume hub nuts are lefty loose and not reverse?

I'd rather not spend ages tightening it up!

Cars looking awesome Prawn! I demand a lap in it at Curby, if you go! (Passenger of course)

It's "normal" according to http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=355741

In car related news I'm half entertaining the idea of buying an old (square looking) convertible Suzuki SJ... might be a terrible idea but they sound fun.

Cars looking awesome Prawn! I demand a lap in it at Curby, if you go! (Passenger of course)

Hub nuts are almost always standard thread yes, and STUPIDLY tight too.

Of course you can have a lap Mike :)

Just realised I cocked up the pics and repeated 2 of them

here's what was supposed to be the last pic:

979F0201-67D2-4BF8-8970-DD434FCFA1C4_zps

I'd rather not spend ages tightening it up!

Also remember undo them by pushing down, rarther than up. i undone mine by pulling up, the hub nut went completly loose, causing me to smack my arm on the wing, leaving an almighty bruise!