The Car Thread

MadManMike

My first refurbed wheel is done. Quite pleased with it, especially as it's my first time trying to properly refurb them!

Second wheel is half sanded down, so I can crack on with that when I get back from Cornwall on Sunday :D

Then I just need a car that will actually move :'(

Guys, my car has run out of electricity at university. I have some jump leads and need to drive from Swansea to Cardiff tomorrow which is about an hour drive. Will my car have charged enough by the time I get there to be able to turn over and get back? Or is my only option to go to a garage and get a charger?

done a little bit to my car recently.

drilled out the spare wheel hold down, one step closer to boot mount battery:

post-36867-0-57914800-1433526335_thumb.j

Also FIANLLY dug this out of the chassis rail, after it fell down the trunking for the fuel lines:

post-36867-0-15824900-1433526320_thumb.j

Also after ripping out the back seats to fit my bike in at the weekend, the seats felt like they weighed a ton, so i got them on the scales....

29KG!!!! :blink:

I drive it for about half an hour every week, if that. It usually runs itself flat after 6 weeks of not being started/very very little use, if that's of any use?

Should charge its self in an hour but can you not get yourself a new battery ?

Should charge its self in an hour but can you not get yourself a new battery ?

I think the car just takes a high current when it's off, with the alarm and shiz. The battery was new about 6 months ago and had the same problem before, something must be sapping the power. I'm going to risk the drive tomorrow, although I'll have to stop for petrol after 30 mins it should have enough to turn the engine over once... Right?!

The trouble with letting your battery go flat so often is it'll ruin it pretty rapidly therefore it is hard to say whether it'll be good enough for your journey. 30mins driving should provide enough charge on a non duff battery to crank over a warm engine, otherwise a cheeky bump start may be necessary! It's not good for your alternator to keep making it try and charge up a flat battery, try and find the cause of the discharging or disconnect the battery as already recomended

I been trying to find this stupid leak in my car for ages now and it looks like the dash will have to come out...

Also. Do you guys think 18" rims would look silly on this? It currently sits on the 17"s it came with. And whats a good tyre for road use with no track stuff at all?

5k527d.jpg

Edited by Kevinfor

18s look good on E46s as long as they are lowered a bit, look at the front arch gap! Tyre wise, depends if you want a long lasting motorway mile muncher or a grippy tyre for spirited road driving? Give us an idea of your driving style

Not ordered a slimline fan yet as I realised I had a twin fan setup from my/Georges old Toledo, I think it'll tuck in there nicely :)