The Car Thread

MadManMike

Quick question on painting, should I apply the lacquer before the paint is 100% dry?

I've heard that you get a "window" in which to apply the lacquer - needs to be fairly dry, but tacky enough to provide something for the lacquer to cling to. Rubbing down metallic paint is not good, from what I've read.

Any opinions??

Quick question on painting, should I apply the lacquer before the paint is 100% dry?

I've heard that you get a "window" in which to apply the lacquer - needs to be fairly dry, but tacky enough to provide something for the lacquer to cling to. Rubbing down metallic paint is not good, from what I've read.

Any opinions??

Yes that's true. You want to do it then so that the solvents of the lacquer go into the paint and it becomes one so that the lacquer isn't just a layer on top or else it peels off. I think that's right.

Yeah that makes sense. Is 12 hours too long a gap?

It reckons fully dry in 24, so in theory it should be a little tacky when I get home still... (I sprayed it at 6am today, will be home around then).

Way too long I reckon. Tom will advise you :) here is when we need the tagging system ;)

12hours is about 11hours and 30minutes too long Mike, if I were you now I'd grab something light and abrasive like a scotch pad, scotch your basecoat then 1 coat of colour then 2 of clear to seal. If its still in basecoat it's easily salvaged.

Brentacre...

Best quotes received online or over the phone? Very close to buying a car and its all resting on finding insurance at the right price.

They're such a nice bunch to talk to on the phone but they've never been able to get anywhere near my best quotes, and I do try them nearly every year...

Greenlight, classicline or Flux are always considerably cheaper.

• Like 1