The Car Thread

MadManMike

5 hours ago, CurtisRider said:

Cheers Adam! Presumably this is the one to go for? https://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VCV210.html 
I think we each plan on sticking with VAG cars for now so that should keep us going!

No worries. Pretty sure that's where I got mine yup. Looks a bit different to my old one, but Ross-Tech is the one to go for.

• 1 month later...

@SamKidney what’s the going rate for a b16a2 swap these days? I’ve still got one in my garage with the engine loom and an ecu etc. Always intended on putting it in my mini clubman but that’s looking unlikely. It’s been sat a few years but I removed it from a del sol vti which I drove round in for 3 years with zero issues. 

So, the Tiger went today. Advertised it yesterday with proper pics and the first viewer bought it, chuffed with that as I thought it might be a pain to sell.

Looking at MX-5's again and wow, the market has gone mad since I left!

I scrapped red in 2020 and there's cars in worse condition going for £1,500 now - wtf?!

I thought the money from the Tiger would buy me a car, some wheels, an exhaust, coilovers and maybe a fresh set of rubber... apparently it'll get me a rusty car and that's it.

PXL_20230416_152908828.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up another MX-5 today :biggrin:

It needs a good clean inside and out, but it's pretty tidy for a mk2.5 - there is some rust to sort, but nowhere near as bad as most 2.5's.

Ordered a stereo surround and some speakers for it just now, since it has the standard kit at the moment.

MeisterR suspension, Rota Grid wheels, Cobalt exhaust, decent intake, turbo-ready clutch (Not that I'm planning to turbo it, but it's a good clutch).

Proper unveiling once I've given it a good clean...

• Like 3

So our 55 plate Iveco camper needed a little welding done to get it through the MOT. Our usual garage man who's always been brilliant had a little mishap though and slightly set fire to it! I'm now in need of a dash, passenger side heating pipes, head lining, passenger sun visor, passenger side plastic pillar panel, wiring loom... basically that front passenger corner from a van being broken. Bad, bad times.

The guy's said he'll fix it if he can get the parts for a reasonable price but if we go through his tradey insurance he reckons we'd only get the trade value for the bare van (~£2k) when we're about £15k into it as a camper...

WhatsAppImage2023-05-02at18_46.23(1).thumb.jpg.cd2537aeec558495db25bd874da2a514.jpg

WhatsAppImage2023-05-02at18_46_24.thumb.jpg.977357f3849d8d68741d0796bce8877a.jpg

WhatsAppImage2023-05-02at18_46_23.thumb.jpg.295a5c0fb3fb61e309d001cfbc0709b2.jpg

WhatsAppImage2023-05-02at18_46_22.thumb.jpg.bda0e8b882a0d52fa6637638e52f5257.jpg

Thats crispy! I'm sure you can get the parts easy/cheap enough but what state is the shell in?  I'd get everything burnt removed and cleaned up and see what you are left with. Are any of your camper bits damaged? Could you easily move them over to a new van?

The shell is fine thankfully, I think the sound insulation caught and he was chatting to another customer when they noticed the smell/smoke and the plastics were the main casualties. Nothing camper related damaged but it would be a biiig job to transfer over to a new van I think... would rather not if we don't have to!! Most of the base camper stuff was done before we got it.

Shiiiit, that's really not good, some school boy error stuff there! Surely it's his responsibility to cover any difference in repair/replacement costs that his insurer will pay out for and not yours? Is it registered as a camper/ converted van and not a commercial vehicle?

Nightmare that. If you've got legal cover on your own insurance policy though, they'll have lawyers etc that can represent you against the trade insurance company and are bound to be able to get you a proper settlement. Then you can buy it back from the insurance company, fix it up yourself or have the garage do it, and likely have a nice fat wedge left over afterwards.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

347080204_171558352532752_66157707945416

347099459_936961117512243_15186107686407

Here's my latest mobile rust machine - a 2004 MX-5 mk2.5, SVT 1.8 6 speed.

Fairly high mileage, quite rusty underneath, lots of stone chips / poor paint, but it does have MeisterR coilies, Rota wheels and a nice exhaust.

I've changed the door speakers and fitted my stereo, still a few little bits to do but it's mostly good to go... just need to book a trackday now :)

• Like 2

That's nice, Mike! Good mods too, everything you need, and the coloured calipers look sweet poking out.

I think it must be (ex) trials rider MX-5 season...

This is the baby 1.5 without many toys, and no mods (yet). Drives quite a lot like a Mk1, just with a more modern / less rattly feel.

20230514_110201.jpg

20230514_110212.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdamR28 said:

That's nice, Mike! Good mods too, everything you need, and the coloured calipers look sweet poking out.

I think it must be (ex) trials rider MX-5 season...

This is the baby 1.5 without many toys, and no mods (yet). Drives quite a lot like a Mk1, just with a more modern / less rattly feel.

Yeah that's what made me buy it to be honest, the money I would have spent on mods can be spent on getting the underside welded and treated. It drives well, far more planted than Red was.

Nice mk4, I was tempted to put my money down as a deposit on a mk4 but couldn't really justify the monthly costs at this stage. I think my next one will be a mk4 though, maybe in a couple of years.

Are you planning to daily it or will it become a track toy?

Finished fitting the shifter rebuild kit today, so at 10:30pm I decided that picking up cat food was very urgent.

Gotta love a good roof down blast at night, especially with the refreshed gear change - really precise now.

Great to be back in a 5.

ae774505-3fce-4784-a3b3-7cff4b6cd510.jpg

• Like 2

Spent Sunday replacing the auxiliary water pump and hoses on the S4 as i had a coolant leak and could see residue near the pump, why Audi put it under the inlet manifold in the v of the engine i'll never know. Lots of scraped knuckles later and it was in the old pump came out in 2 pieces, so was definitely dead. Bled the coolant system and took it for a quick spin. Still have a leak at the front of the engine 🙃 not that you can really see anything without removing the front bumper and rad pack. Also had to chuck a couple new PS4s on the rear as i'd picked up a screw :( This car is looking to break me morally and financially! Still love it mind :D

Called BMW Assist this morning at 8am to get roadside assistance... It's now 15:36 and they still haven't been.

Luckily it was only a couple of minutes from my house so I've been at home all day, but they don't know that.

Great service.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2023 at 8:41 PM, Danny said:

@SamKidney what’s the going rate for a b16a2 swap these days? I’ve still got one in my garage with the engine loom and an ecu etc. Always intended on putting it in my mini clubman but that’s looking unlikely. It’s been sat a few years but I removed it from a del sol vti which I drove round in for 3 years with zero issues. 

Hey man, not logged on in a while! 

They were fetching more than ever before but the market seems pretty stagnant at the moment with lots of pieces hanging around. 

Id say it’s comfortably worth £1500 or a shade more, especially as you have some history/knowledge to back its condition and mileage. 

If you’ve since sold it on ignore me 😂

On the subject of Minis I’m probably looking to let my Clubman Estate project go if anyone here’s keen.

Very solid shell as far as minis go, but will need re-registering as it’s been off the road for 35+ years. Various spares included, new old stock original subframes front and back etc.. 1275cc from a clubman GT/Cooper S. 

Will see it through one day if nothing materialises but a good offer would wave it goodbye 

• 3 months later...

Honestly I am not that much of a car guy so I'm faking this, its a 2005 with the 1.8 inline 4 from Toyota with the Yamaha head I believe. Haven't really given it what it deserves yet, sorting out some electrical stuff (on a British sports car, how unheard of...).

Maybe not the best bike hauler, but I did get my mod in it for a test fit.

May be an image of car

• Like 1

And yeah they are pretty uncommon here these days. In Seattle there tons more 911s and M3s and whatever else and I just love that this is not those in any way, just a pure driver's car, not a luxury item and because it is so uncommon that makes it more exotic. Did see a beautiful red Testarosa a few blocks from my place last night, first time I have seen one of those in real life, that was my dream car as a kid in the 80s, the Elise has been my dream since becoming an "adult"

Lovely! That engine is known as the 2ZZ, basically the same as in a Toyota Celica of similar vintage. Suits the car so well with the power all coming at high revs.

I totally get you with the driver's car thing, its basically like a trials bike in car form; direct, lightweight, nimble, with no pilot aids 🙃

So cool to own your dream car - hope you thoroughly enjoy it!

8 hours ago, AdamR28 said:

Lovely! That engine is known as the 2ZZ, basically the same as in a Toyota Celica of similar vintage. Suits the car so well with the power all coming at high revs.

I totally get you with the driver's car thing, its basically like a trials bike in car form; direct, lightweight, nimble, with no pilot aids 🙃

So cool to own your dream car - hope you thoroughly enjoy it!

You are spot on with all of that. Had my most fun drive in it yet this morn, when that second cam kicks in above 6200 it just feels amazing.

And I have already made the trials bike analogy a bunch of times, its so true. Actually got the tyres to squeal a bit in a parking lot this morn, amazing how you can go side to side and they unweight if pushed hard enough, but there is no perceptible roll in the the suspension, just this little dialed in machine.

• Like 1