The Car Thread

MadManMike

Went for my first proper drive in the Tiger today. 3 1/2 tanks of fuel (Not as much as it sounds, the tank is small) and around 6 hours of driving.

The car is most definitely too small for me, but I still love it and I willingly suffer - I'm currently sat at my PC aching in many places, but it was worth it.

Here's a short edit of some clips I got today:

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Luke Rainbird said:

Nice one Mike.

I was about to ask if that was a pass in the Black Mountains then saw your vid title. Fun roads around there, and a decent chippy at the southern end from memory too!

Yeah they're great roads - I'm still getting used to driving it so I wasn't pushing hard (The big drop to the right helps engage sensible mode too!). We pretty much did a loop of the Brecon Beacons, I didn't video much of it but some of the roads were awesome.

I've fallen in love with the car, but the logical part of my brain is still telling me to sell it and buy something I fit in better.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tom Booth said:

Have you considered swapping the seat for an elise fiberglass Mike? Might give you abit more room in there, make it abit more live-able.

There's not actually a seat in there, it's two padded boards that are probably 20-30mm thick, literally the smallest thing that could go in there - there's no side support, I'm held in by the transmission tunnel and the side of the car.

10 hours ago, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

Yeah, that grab:

image.thumb.png.6e512425d66fe1084266edf28faeee43.png

makes it look like you're sitting on a saddle rather than in a seat!!

That's a bit of a clickbaity thumbnail, that's actually a photo of my friend driving it on the day. He's considerably shorter than me and is sat forward to reach the pedals :)

When I'm sat in it, I'm as far back as you can go and even with the tiny go-kart steering wheel my knees touch it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Rusevelt said:

Can't imagine what it was like watching this thing for real. Absolute weapon.

It was cool, but not the best thing I saw... fast, yes, but lack of sound meant I didn't pay as much attention as when the F1 cars went up. Or the V10 Viper.

If anyone is interested, I'll stick some photos up once they're edited.

Awesome day, slightly sunburnt and my feet ache, but very much worth it! :)

• Like 3

Yeah I suppose it looks kinda lame seeing something moving that fast without any loud engine grunt....... would have been a perfect showcase opportunity to put that technology into the 80's Knight Rider Kitt car and race that lol.

Disappointed with the Mercedes Project One, and the ugliest looking FormulaE Gen3Evo car...... would have preferred the look of Gen3 and just improve the performance side.

Impressive by Travis Pastrama creation, and that rapid Super EVan.

Hopefully the Hill climb lap record will be broken Today...

4 hours ago, Rusevelt said:

Yeah I suppose it looks kinda lame seeing something moving that fast without any loud engine grunt....... would have been a perfect showcase opportunity to put that technology into the 80's Knight Rider Kitt car and race that lol.

Disappointed with the Mercedes Project One, and the ugliest looking FormulaE Gen3Evo car...... would have preferred the look of Gen3 and just improve the performance side.

Impressive by Travis Pastrama creation, and that rapid Super EVan.

Hopefully the Hill climb lap record will be broken Today...

Don't get me wrong, it's still very impressive and technology is awesome, I just prefer the sounds and smells of older cars.

Here's my photos from the day, some nice panning ones from the hill and some off road / rally ones towards the end too:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?vanity=jollygoodphoto&set=a.5268982869847450

• Like 1

Nice stuff, Mike!

We went to Goodwood a few years ago and hoping to go next year, the sounds from the F1 era is the greatest thing there, we sat on the hill just after molcomb most of the day, just after the corner and begin8ng of the climb

40 minutes ago, Tom Booth said:

Nice stuff, Mike!

We went to Goodwood a few years ago and hoping to go next year, the sounds from the F1 era is the greatest thing there, we sat on the hill just after molcomb most of the day, just after the corner and begin8ng of the climb

Cheers Tom, I had to be selective with my photography based on what I could hear coming - some needed the camera putting down and fingers in ears, those early F1's for example :laugh:

Epic noise, but I think I'll take ear plugs next time.

I just came in to post that !!

Its a weird old car but I'm not surprised it broke the record. under 1000kgs, 1000bhp, 2000kg downforce from a standstill and flippin tiny. Oh and apparently there is a road legal version coming.... :wacko:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bummer! It's quite common on kit cars as they often aren't set up properly... there should be a mechanical stop to the pedal itself (a bolt through the firewall is more than adequate) which is found just before or at the same time as the throttle is fully open.

40 minutes ago, AdamR28 said:

Bummer! It's quite common on kit cars as they often aren't set up properly... there should be a mechanical stop to the pedal itself (a bolt through the firewall is more than adequate) which is found just before or at the same time as the throttle is fully open.

Or set it at 1/10th throttle opening and reap the fuel saving benfits :D

In van news, the new ECU has taken it from 98bhp (310CDI) to 130bhp (313CDI) and it's transformed it when driving.  2.9 tonnes meant that it was so lacking in torque that any hill required dropping 3 gears and planting it, now I can drop to 5th and she just cruises up them.  Fueal economy has also improved by 10-15% straight off because the engine isn't working so hard :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AdamR28 said:

Yeah I posted in a couple of kit car groups and everyone said the same thing - they go fairly often. I haven't had a chance to take a look yet, but I suspect mine doesn't have a stop, the noise it made sounded like it hitting the floor anyway.

Once it drops below 30c in the garage I'll get upside down and have a peek :)

15 hours ago, MadManMike said:

Yeah I posted in a couple of kit car groups and everyone said the same thing - they go fairly often. I haven't had a chance to take a look yet, but I suspect mine doesn't have a stop, the noise it made sounded like it hitting the floor anyway.

Once it drops below 30c in the garage I'll get upside down and have a peek :)

Depending how yours has been built, it's quite likely you'll have access to the pedal box from above. In mine I just have to remove 5 or 6 screws then I can look down on it from the engine bay :) Much easier than trying to squeeze into a footwell :D 

1 hour ago, Wrayvon said:

Depending how yours has been built, it's quite likely you'll have access to the pedal box from above. In mine I just have to remove 5 or 6 screws then I can look down on it from the engine bay :) Much easier than trying to squeeze into a footwell :D 

I have the same panel in mine, but I suspect it's riveted on (As everything seems to be on this car lol). Fingers crossed it's just screws, I'm gonna have a look at lunch.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 9:24 AM, forteh said:

Or set it at 1/10th throttle opening and reap the fuel saving benfits :D

I only just spotted this, haha I wish there was fuel saving options - even on a gentle cruise I'm getting less than 20mpg I would say. If you're spirited, you can watch the fuel gauge go down while you drive!