The Car Thread

MadManMike

Got some clips for whoever's interested.

And this, with the more interesting but still rather uneventful bit being around the 3:10 mark (this wasn't the bump that caused the major bodywork damage). I'm actually proud of my reaction, the moment the hand leaves the shifter is the moment I knew I was headed for the tyre wall and tree. Pulled the handbrake instantly so as to align the car parallel to the obstacle and pointing in roughly the right direction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e8EKchmmOI

(yes, the rear tyres sucked so hard...)

Those videos are awesome! It looks like so much fun! Did the impact that you got on video do much damage to the car? I am surprised you had the temperament to keep driving after hitting the tyre wall / tree - I would have either been furious or absolutely devastated... (more likely the latter)

it's motorsport.

If it's still running, and you're near the end, you keep your foot in, regardless!

Nice driving Alex, what slicks were you on? Looks like they'd seen better days, and the combination of loose / dirty track didn't seem to suit them well at all, although you did well to keep on top of it regardless!

Did the impact that you got on video do much damage to the car? I am surprised you had the temperament to keep driving after hitting the tyre wall / tree - I would have either been furious or absolutely devastated... (more likely the latter)

Not really, there's a pic on the previous page. I had a more severe impact just before that run heating up the rear tyres. This one just scratched the door and rear quarter panel + a small dent. Tyres are really great obstacles to hit, it's amazing how well they absorb the shock.

As for carrying on, like Prawn said there's no point in stopping if the car is still working. This isn't a time attack event, it's a rally so you need to complete each stage because they sum up your overall time. If I hesitated for more than 3 seconds, I'd have lost 2nd place in my class and 1st in the RWD class. I'd essentially be in a lose-lose situation.

Prawn, those tyres were new 595 RS-R's. How long do these need to run in? The vid above was the last run so they had 4 others like that to break in, about 10km of the carting track and a few burnouts to get them up to temp.

Haha. Most of it is bullshit though :giggle:

Another vid from Friday, the guy in the passenger seat is a Westfield owner too, but I managed to make him feel sick, oops. First lap (~2:20 mins) is a warm up. Some slightly sideways bits just after 3 mins, but the rest is fairly uneventful.

Anyone got any old 6x9's or anything kicking about they don't want/ need anymore?

Got some big trips coming up and as much as i enjoy hours upon hours of induction noise i'd quite like some music to help keep my sanity :P

Headphones? :P Are you definitely coming to the beach party then?

Thought I'd show you guys some bits I've been doing at work over the last few weeks:

This:

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

Is the front section of one of these, only about 2/3rds the weight of the original (ok it's a slightly different generation of this car):

nemesis0609a.jpg

And this:

DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0062.jpg

is a faux diffuser thing for a Suzuki Swift, to go in the bottom of the bumper:

Suzuki-Swift-Sport-images.jpg

Both of those show them straight from the mould, so still need trimming and polishing/painting. The swift 'diffuser' is quite cool in that the exhaust cut-outs are done with inserts in the mould, so you can put them wherever you want, and can have one or 2 cutouts, depending on what the customer's running.

Edited by RobinJI

Headphones? :P Are you definitely coming to the beach party then?

Headphones would be cool if i didn't have to be listening out for shit breaking/ falling off at all times haha.

80% on the beach party, the others are a little dubious but i'm still well up for it - just not so much if i'd be travelling on my own!

Crash update.

The painkillers I have been given mess me up so I have not taken them for 2 days, I'm trying to continue life as normal so went to work today and now my back has started to properly hurt so I have admitted defeat and taken the painkillers again.

The legal advisor's and rehabilitation company that are dealing with my claim are f**king retarded and cannot even arrange the simple thing of supplying me with the physio they have promised. I have to go to an 'approved' physio and the only one in Salisbury is closed for a week, the next nearest one is 20 miles away and I funnily enough don't have a car to get there and do not want the added hassle. I don't live in outer Mongolia so there are physio's all over the place, I don't get why they won't just book me in with someone else. So fed up right now.

Kick up a fuss. They say your car should always go to an 'approved' repairer, but if you argue enough they'll let basically anywhere VAT registered, and some places not do it, I don't see why it'd be different with healthcare. My mum went through a very long recovery from bad whiplash after being hit by an uninsured driver and a decent physio was by far the biggest help, it really is important to go somewhere good.

I have already had a moan and ended up going back to my insurance company (the start of the chain haha) who followed it through as a complaint. The insurance company spoke to the legal firm for me and the person who is dealing with my case at the legal firm called me back at 4:56 and now for some reason needs to speak to her team leader before calling me back tomorrow. I logged this complaint a lunch time so she phones me right at the end of the day, she had no idea that the physio they are telling me to book with are closed and had no idea that I had previously been told I would have to wait at least 1 week. All through my working life I have been taught to document everything so I have no idea what these idiots have been doing. Shit will hit the fan if they don't sort me out tomorrow.

Sounds like you're going about it the right way then, I hope they get their act together and that things go smoothly, real whiplash can be a nasty thing to recover from, but so many people just dismiss it because anyone with a stiff neck claims they have it, it really pisses me off sometimes because my mums claim was nowhere near what it should have been, and no-doubt a large part of that was the lack of trust the insurers have. (which sadly they're right to have a lot of the time.)

Cheers Adam, yeah, it's amazing how 'finished' a product can be straight from the mould. We knew we'd be doing a few of the 'diffusers' so it's worth getting it good as it saves a lot of hassle in the long run. The Nemesis RME front end wasn't polished or anything as we knew we'd be painting it anyway.

We do 'real' diffusers too ;) (can be made to any realistic length, with or without strakes and/or the recesses for the wishbones)

IMG_2534-500x500.JPG

IMG_2536-500x500.JPG

• Like 2

I have already had a moan and ended up going back to my insurance company (the start of the chain haha) who followed it through as a complaint. The insurance company spoke to the legal firm for me and the person who is dealing with my case at the legal firm called me back at 4:56 and now for some reason needs to speak to her team leader before calling me back tomorrow. I logged this complaint a lunch time so she phones me right at the end of the day, she had no idea that the physio they are telling me to book with are closed and had no idea that I had previously been told I would have to wait at least 1 week. All through my working life I have been taught to document everything so I have no idea what these idiots have been doing. Shit will hit the fan if they don't sort me out tomorrow.

My advice is get the name of the person you are speaking to and everytime you phone ask for them. Oh and make their life hell :)

Cheers Adam, yeah, it's amazing how 'finished' a product can be straight from the mould. We knew we'd be doing a few of the 'diffusers' so it's worth getting it good as it saves a lot of hassle in the long run. The Nemesis RME front end wasn't polished or anything as we knew we'd be painting it anyway.

We do 'real' diffusers too ;) (can be made to any realistic length, with or without strakes and/or the recesses for the wishbones)

Yeah, it's pretty amazing. I did a bit of playing with CF and I was too impatient in making the tooling - lesson learned!

Haha, yeah I saw gonna say, the ones in the second post look a lot more purposeful :) Tempted to have a go for my car as it suffers pretty horrible lift above about 110mph.

Cheers Alex - the time in the MX-5 paid off I think! Plus I've done a lot of handling setup work over winter. Saw the pics of your car looking a bit worse for wear :( How much work is it gonna need?