The Car Thread

MadManMike

Twat mk3 gti's piece of shit decided to cut out on me. in the middle of no-where, country lane.
no reason too.
fcuking tit car.
wouldn't start up, though it was trying. couldn't bump it.
Left if for several minutes whilst swearing at the engine with my limited mechanical knowledge
tried again
Started as if i hadn't even been trying for the last 20 mins.
its now done that cutting out bolloks for the fourth time. but this time it didn't want to start straight back up.

Reading up a bit on it, people say the throttle body gets bunged up with carbon.
need to clean it out, but where is it located?
Wonderful joys, a common 2l 8v problem.
I feed it oil, water and fuel. there-fore in troys mind, it shouldn't cut out. Realistically your right though!

Sounds like an overheating coil or ignition amplifier to me. Not much else that would fail in that manner on that sort of engine. Check the rotor arm and dizzy cap too, just because they're easy. (Pretty sure mk3 GTI's still use a dizzy don't they?)

Danny, yeah, working for them's kind of a new thing, I've been friendly with the guys there for a few years now and I've used their workshop for my own stuff a lot, they're only just down the road from me. I've sort of slipped into full time work there since Christmas, it's working out well so far. If you order anything then by all means mention that you know Robin through trials riding, they may be feeling kind! Can't promise anything though as I don't really do the production stuff, just pattern making and R&D at the moment.

Adam, yeah, that second diffuser's a little more purposeful! It managed to snap the chassis mounts on the Radical it was attached to, so must have had a fair bit of force on it!

Depends on if your engine is fuel injected or not :)

Roughly the difference being, with fuel injection you have a throttle body which controls the airflow and injectors metering fuel elsewhere, without you have a carb which controls both the airflow and fuel metering in one unit.

On bikes, directly to the carburetor via the carb slide, but after a quick google, I've realised that these are actually incorrect names/nicknames, you live and learn!

I blame my upbringing... I can rebuild gearboxes on bikes but I've never even changed a windscreen wiper on a car. Cars just aren't really part of my family. :P

• Like 1

On bikes, directly to the carburetor via the carb slide

Only on race carbs, run of the mill Keihin/Mikuni carbs have the cable linked to the throttle linkage, which operates the throttle butterlies (which are housed in their individual throttle bodies, but they're not commonly referred to as ITBs despite the fact they technically are :P ), the slides are controlled by air pressure :P

Then what are you doing giving advice in here then?

I didn't give any advice? I merely pontificated as to the source of the lack of starting in TROYston's car. I'd never be stupid enough to give advice!

Only on race carbs, run of the mill Keihin/Mikuni carbs have the cable linked to the throttle linkage, which operates the throttle butterlies (which are housed in their individual throttle bodies, but they're not commonly referred to as ITBs despite the fact they technically are :P ), the slides are controlled by air pressure :P

I think I may have heard the carbs you're talking about as constant velocity carbs? They're most common on big bike with multiple cylinder engines I think.

All the bikes I've had (all been single cylinder 2 strokes) have had slide carbs, like this one:

$T2eC16R,!zEE9s3!(YP!BQT7Rt(,Ww~~60_35.J

Anyway, clearly just a mixup in terminology, sorry for getting involved where I don't belong. :P

Edited by Muel

Old school carb talk wahoooo!

I love carbs; I've been rebuilding them since I was 4. I haven't in recent years, but it was something I used to pride myself in.

My first ever jobs as a kid was rebuilding carburettors on old flymo lawn mowers and on old British bikes. Later building webers and delortos as well as balancing just about everything. SU's are by far my fav carbs; I used to love them.

So with that in mind I can safely say that the piston design on a Pierberg, Stromberg, and almost all other side draft carbs which aren't of the butterfly design is actually referred to as a slide and as such Sam isn't that far off the mark. I think we can let him off as almost all bike carbs which he will have come in contact with are a flat or piston slide design. So whilst his term wasn't exactly modern he is right...just not within this context.

I would bet a lot of money that there are more slide type Mikuni carbs out there than butterfly type :)

More talk of carbs please; they remind me of happy times with old cars.

Edited by Pashley26

Don't do lifts, but I can inverted bench 100kg. Do you even lift?

I really want to do something with my Ford, it's just sat at home slowly dieing. My dad drives it all the time, but I want to do something more.

Just let it die.

:P

• Like 4

Can guarantee its not a carb, i tried making it backfire last night 2ndgear @30 off on job. Quite stupid of me to even try.
Just realised it has a full set of new winter tyres on it. Got to get some banded steels soon! Sold all the vento crap. Going to stick with mk4 lights but upgrade to HID's if anyone fancies recommending some?