The Car Thread

MadManMike

Thought it might be, hehe.

Your long pedal could be a few things - pads worn at an angle, a touch of play in wheel bearings, bit of run out in the discs, for example - but could also be the bleed. Is it running one of the tandem master cylinders (two 'ports' out of the same cylinder)? If you get air in these at any point it can be a biatch to get out, ideally the MC needs 'bench bleeding':

I reckon a combo of 'better' (but not too extreme so you have no cold performance) pads and a good service of the system would do the job... But if you're changing stuff around, maybe not worth putting too much time into it just yet!

Haven't been able to catch a single decent journey to or from the office this week, which means I've ended up on 14.4mpg. Rubbish.

I've got to go out for the same journey a bit later on though, so I'm going to reset it again and try for a one journey wonder there and back. The mornings have just been too slippery this week, and sub 10 isn't worth sticking it in a tree!

Epic car time :D After a lengthy engine rebuild and lots of other work it's ready :) Turns out most of the valves in the engine were bent and the gasket was no more. So it should have close to 90bhp now which in connection with 750kg of weight and 4 wheel drive is going to be absolutely epic in the snow and on ice. It's also had 540i springs installed so it should behave better when it gets airborne. Conditions aren't yet perfect but we're going out tonight anyway.

41u5.jpg

Need to get some rally lights for this, does anyone know if there's a way of calculating whether the alternator will cope with an extra 140W of power?

Edited by Greetings
  • Like 2

Almost right on cue the Audi is up for sale.

So far this week I have driven a 996 Carrera, looked at a Boxster S, made enquiries about a Lancia and offered a swap for a 205 GTI6 race car. I just need something fun again, so if I can find the right car I might keep both, but we will see.

Today I met up with Nick and we discussed the options, and there is only one really. So now I am on the hunt for the right 20vt Mk2, and will just sell the Audi as and when it goes.

There is nothing wrong with the Audi, it's a great car. But as everyone knows, it's not very me. It has served its purpose though and let me cut the strings with the old Audi.

• Like 1

Old A3 was the longest I have owned a car, just over a year. But now I'm home, and have no reason not to I might as well just have what I want.

Putting the diesel up for £6500, which makes it the same price as the cheapest S Line on Autotrader, but it is far nicer than the best one on Autotrader. If anyone fancies it.

I hope that picture's implication is correct Nick, if it is, awesome!

Also, Jardo, good plan, you know a 20vt in an 80's VW is the way forwards ;)

On a slightly different note, how do you find your Sciroccos handling? Mine seems to a bit tail happy. Lift off oversteer is plentyful and easy to induce but sometimes if I'm cornering a bit quick it just starts to wander out all on its own..

Got lucky today (or it was partially skill to make the car go in like this rather than front on - I'm not quite sure)... No major damage despite an altercation with the arm-co...

post-5427-0-87701900-1386444640_thumb.jp

On a slightly different note, how do you find your Sciroccos handling? Mine seems to a bit tail happy. Lift off oversteer is plentyful and easy to induce but sometimes if I'm cornering a bit quick it just starts to wander out all on its own..

Any idea what the rear geo is like? Are all 4 tyres the same brand / model and at correct pressures?

They're Toyo T1R, yep all 4 are the same and all are at same pressures. Suspension is standard shocks with -40 springs. Other than that its all normal. The only additonal brace is a front lower between the front most wishbone mounts.

The now rear tyres used to be the fronts for around 2000miles. I swapped them over to keep the wear even. So the fronts would be around 4-5mm and the rears 3-4mm.

Pic from a drive up in the Lake District :D

581285_10153542094370587_615672425_n.jpg

I know this is beautiful and so on but this pic also sums up why I don't like most UK country roads. You're constantly surrounded by walls made of rocks or vegetation, there's no sense of freedom. I very rarely drive onto and through a field just for the sake of it but I want to be given the opportunity to do so without having to be in a tank.

I think he's talking about accidental trips more so then intentional ones ;)

As for my Sciroccos handling, I've got no complaints when it comes to balance. The back end's what I'd call 'lively' but it's very predictable, and you can steer in on the throttle quite easily when it does start getting loose. You can very easily play with it by shifting the cars weight around. But, I do have a 25mm Eibach rear ARB mounted in poly-bushes out back, with the standard 17mm (I think) front one, mounted in ancient rubber bushes. Front wishbones are poly-bushed, but the rear beam isn't yet. As standard iirc there should be roughly -1deg of camber out back and a couple of mm of toe in if your beams all straight and good.