The Car Thread

MadManMike

Somebody owns those fields and often have animals and other farmery stuff in them..They'd be none to pleased with motorists just driving through! European driving sounds rather interesting...

As is the case everywhere else. But you don't get people building walls around fields on which they grow moss and grass.

edit: only other reason I can think of is that some fields in the UK could be littered with stones and building walls out of them is the best way of getting them out of the way?

Edited by Greetings

Umm.

That's the Lake District, famous for having livestock living in those fields. The walls and fences are more to stop the animals getting on the carriageway than to stop you driving across the fields.

As such they are a huge safety benefit.

Sorry to say, I don't see your logic at all. I love hedgerows and walls on a good B roads.

Edited by Pashley26

I get what he means, I like being able to see beyond the side of the road, rather than just seeing trees or walls. It's much more interesting when there's lots to see.

In car news, Volvo is f*cked and I'm losing the will power to keep it alive. We'll see how the MOT goes on the 16th.

I see where you're coming from totally Alex.

J-rod - Al,drive to the Ring some time and you'll understand, the roads in the Eifel are fast and flowing, and the black top just peels away onto grassy fields with no hedges or walls, it feels very open and free. you can see the road bending and flowing ahead of you and always know if there's anything coming.

it's a fantastic experience when you're used to having the hedges defining the roadside so solidly :)

Armco incident looks nasty Adam! Really hope you were both OK and the car is easily fixed

I know that feeling when you're looking across at an impending impact, it's not one I wish to experience again!

It does sound rather appealing, for the views and ease of sight..As for just randomly turning onto the grass and taking a detour, I'm not so sure.

On another note (again), when looking at 4 cylinder fwd engines...Are there any other contenders over the VAG 20vt? Not including v-tex yo as I'm not a fan and theyre to expensive.

On the hedge debate, I'm all for having walls and trees practically touching the windows. Anything that makes the experience 'feel' faster on the road, without having to push death defying speeds, it's great in my book.

On a track, or the ring in particular, I'm sure it's a different feel entirely. Personally I welcome anything that makes me drive a bit slower while still feeling the adrenalin.

My favorite British roads are on the moors. I really don't get on with high hedges and walls, everything feels fast and great, then there's a cyclist around the next corner and you're in jail for causing death by dangerous driving. (Extreme example I know, but you get the point, it's sketchy not being able to see around the bends.)

This is my idea of nice British roads, although this is a bit faster/straighter than ideal:

post-4312-0-72355400-1386449903_thumb.pn

PS, looks like a lucky escape Adam, glad things didn't get too bashed up. As Nick said, it looked like you were really pushing on!

Edited by RobinJI
  • Like 2

I don't want it to be open, what a weird thing.

I wouldn't even want to drive somewhere like that, with no walls or immediate scenery. The whole something to look at debate is retarded, because you should be looking down the road.

Literally cannot comprehend, let alone begin to explain how utterly ridiculous I find the concept of driving with no hedges or walls. The thought of hitting a tree and dieting is the only thing that stops me driving as fast as I can.

• Like 1

Literally cannot comprehend, let alone begin to explain how utterly ridiculous I find the concept of driving with no hedges or walls. The thought of hitting a tree and dieting is the only thing that stops me driving as fast as I can.

I'd like to take this opportunity to point out, that you tried it once, at a place named Castle Combe.

You were rubbish :lol:

• Like 1

I think it stopping you driving as fast as you can is largely our complaint. I'd rather have to restrain myself for fear of running out of skill/grip than because I can't see around the next corner. It actually involves skill/judgement rather than just being reckless enough to chuck it around the bend hoping there's a clear path at the other end of it.

Oh and Mike, yeah, no complaint about walls/barriers on the edge of drops, I welcome them! They're better when you can see past them though.

Edited by RobinJI
  • Like 1

I'd rather have to restrain myself for fear of running out of skill/grip than because I can't see around the next corner.

Word. In related news, one of the few good things about being back in Mid Wales is the roads around here. Fun stuff everywhere.

Just spent a few hours cleaning the car, finally actually putting polish and sealant on it. Hopefully that'll help it stay a bit cleaner this time.

Forgot to take any pictures, but you all know what it looks like: a bit beat up, a bit mean, and now a bit cleaner.

I gave mine a quick wipe down with a sponge a minute ago too. I'm really pleased with how this wax has held up, the car still feels sort of slipery, and water wont stay on it at all, even after 3 weeks/over 1000 miles of daily driving and having not actually cleaned it since waxing it.

It's made it SO much easier to clean too, literally just wiped a sponge over the thing with one swipe then splashed some clean water over it and it looked perfectly clean, nothing left behind at all. I'll probably chuck a second layer of it on sometime, as I know it layers well.

This was only a few seconds after drenching that panel:

post-4312-0-78651300-1386516570_thumb.jp

Been playing around and I've come up with my next little project for the Scirocco:

post-4312-0-03013500-1386517137_thumb.pn

Edited by RobinJI
  • Like 1

Genuinely saw that as a stick man bending over another stick person, hahahaha!

Fitted my water meth injection today. Very odd having the inlet manifold ice cold, and the manifold glowing red. Which...by the way has cracked again. Not bad for a manifold which has been on my car for about 200 miles tops. Seriously considering selling it and getting a mk5 Golf Gti Edition 30...if only I could sell mine for something even remotely near to what I've spent on it!

...need some new fronts tyres too. Eurgh.

• Like 1