The Car Thread

MadManMike

It's a member on there who does it. You do loads of logs for him, send them to him, he tweaks them and you flash them yourself. Do more logs and he tweaks them again to fine tune everything.

Alarm bells were ringing straight away at the thought of this especially without a rolling road but there are so so many happy customers on there who have had their PD130 done by him.

He also provides in the map left foot braking, launch control and 2 variants of the map (low torque and high torque) which is coolio.

Smashed rear bodywork, fog light, numberplate, squashed fuel tank, one bent bit of chassis. Only took 2 hours to get all that off and prep the chassis for a new bit of tube (love cars that literally bolt together with no trim, arch liners and shit), so I've decided to rip the brakes apart and start fitting twin masters, a bias bar and dash adjuster while I wait for people to get back to me about fibreglass and fuel tank... Man logic at it's best :dance:

• Like 1

Good to hear Adam!

Odd question:

Does anyone on here have access (and the ability to use!) a CNC machine at all?

it's fairly simple, but I'm after 12 slots machine into my disc bells. I have a drawing for it, and it's all 2d stuff, just some simple slots with radiused ends.

I asked one company for a quote and their reply almost broke my laptop!

Got a sweet deal on a full M16 240mm set up - probably not gonna be the best in the world but it'll be an improvement and can always be upgraded again some time in the future when some cheap decent calipers come up or something.

Just wondering about pads now, really. What are our views on Mintex M1144s?

They are more of a drag / sprint than a pure track I think, I'm yet to drive one but I've read various comparisons and the conclusion is mx5's will take anything you throw at them whereas the mr2 can bite back.

I've driven a few rwd cars and they all feel so much nicer to drive than many of the fwd cars I've had so decided my next car must be rwd, as I only turn 21 in january insurance prices limit car choice pretty much down to a e36/346 325 out of which I only really like the compact, the mr2 and an mx5. Looks wise the mr2 wins hands down in my eyes and after reading more and more into the car I fell in love :P

• Like 1

I have 1144s on the Clio and they are good, noticeably better than OEM, but at first they howled like a bitch under light braking.

Cost/performance though is spot on for road car and wear seems reasonable for the 4000 miles I've done on them. Will continue to use them as and when replacement is required.

Edit: breaking... braking... amateur.

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1

Anyone know of any good Brake upgrades to e36's

I'd like mega brakes!

Ferodo DS3000 are very good once they reach operating temperature. When cold the pedal is a bit spongy but the braking force is comparable to an OE pad. After you get some heat into them they can be a bit noisy, sound a bit like a trials brake pad on a smooth rim.

To give you an idea, they have enough locking power to activate the ABS on my car at 120mph on 250mm section racing slick tyres all round.