The Car Thread

MadManMike

Brick is still lacking glass. The cost of replacement is a good incentive to get fully comprehensive insurance next time.

I replaced my propshaft centre bearing today. It was an absolute pig of a job, and the entirety of the re-assembly was done in the dark.

I feel sorry for whoever buys this car from me. Everything on it is bodged in some way!

It made a nice improvement to the driveability of the car, but now there is a vibration at certain speeds/rpm's, so I need to play about with spacers to get it sitting at the right angle.

Funny that it gave no vibrations with an absolutely knackered centre bearing, maybe because it was able to sit wherever it was most comfortable when spinning.

Why blue?!

Drums should always be black imo.

I like blue.

May aswell paint Brembo calipers on your drums....

I have in no way suggested or attempted to suggest that they are anything other than what they are.

Advertising the fact you have drums is like wearing a sandwich board to inform people you have AIDS. Paint 'em black for sure.

It came with drums and will always have drums, 80s baby!

^ hahaha, I reckon AIDS is a little worse, but he does have a point!

AIDs is definitely worse.

As above, bright painted drums are the sign of a true idiot.

Its not that bright, honest!

Fortunately its my car and for now I do kind of like the blue touches. We'll see, I imagine the novelty will wear off eventually.

I was told by some Autoglass dude that "Windscreen Cover" actually means full cover of all windows. That might not always be the case though.

I had a drivers door window replaced a few years ago when that got smashed by a stone - bloody gardener at work hit a stone with his strimmer!

Buggery, got the zimmar back today, steering rack is screwed, fuel filters annihilated, wishbones bent, trakrods snapped.

But

I was talking to my recovery guy and he took me t. A guy selling a e36 323. 50k on the clock. Been stood 2 years, started fine with a little charge and air in the tires, no smoke, drives fine, 1000x better than mine.

£550

Buying it on the 20th.

Going to put my coilys on it, my obc, and treat it to a Fresh service. Got half leathers too which is nice.

But still going to strip it and weld the diff!

I was offered a chance to upgrade from my basic rotary, Mark at Brotek was buying a new Rupes Bigfoot so I've purchased his old backup DAS.

1472763_1436211633260680_966047896_n.jpg

I also purchased a stages set of Dodo Juice fin cut pads, orange which is a fast cutting pad, green polishing pad and a black finishing pad.

Armed myself with Black Hole, went over the A3 with one pass on the orange cutting pad.

Whoop.

1476257_1436208053261038_902125982_n.jpg

Ended up like -

1012744_1436208176594359_1186235278_n.jp

1450157_1436208183261025_1838014688_n.jp

Along with lots of light swirls and imperfections.

1483105_1436186006596576_222912777_n.jpg

Stepped it up to the green polishing pad. Went over the entire car again, refined it further.

1422391_1436163779932132_187578883_n.jpg

Followed that up with something new to me, Ti22 which is a titanium based coating designed to create a sealing layer for the wax to stick to and create a uniform finish.

It worked well!

1282543_orig.jpg?208?2145776?4803761

Ti22 is best applied with a foam applicator pad, douse a bit on and work it across the paint work and then leave it to cure and buff it off. So not too hard. Not easy to remove properly though.

Then I tried a second first for me, applying Angelwax Dark Angel with a DA. Not something that Mark at Brotek's done before, and not something I've seen anybody else do to be honest. So on with the black finishing pad it was.

All done.

1457637_1436211136594063_2067626202_n.jp

Then I went over it with Corona, which is a new sprayable wax from Angelwax. It's not got quite as nice a finish as it did straight off with the Dark Angel, but it should hopefully last a lot longer. Not that there's anything wrong with the durability of DA.

So all in all, another good day.

I thought you said it wasn't covered in orange peel? :P

It's weird!

In some lights, it looks peely, across the paint. If you look at the paint from like a 45* angle it looks a bit lumpy and isn't clear, but if you look directly straight on at the paint it doesn't look peely. I think it was totally in the lacquer and not in the paintwork itself which was nice.

Not anymore though ;)

And as you know Black Hole being full of fillers is just like makeup for a car haha.

Done that before (on my own car) hugely expensive mistake, feel your pain!

Ditto. We dragged a friends dads old rally car out and threw a box on it (the original box and brakes had been sold in the early '90s), everything seemed to be working fine, except there was no drive from the engine to the friction plate. The old box had had a straight cut dog-gear set in it, with a larger than standard output shaft, so the clutch fitted had a larger spline than a standard Vauxhall box. :(

My Scirocco's got it's MOT at 4pm tomorrow. I'm hoping it'll go through, but then it is a 25 year old car that's covered 190+ thousand miles, so I never like to assume it'll fly through!

(Edit, car's looking smart and shiny Jardo. Is it your phone that throws an extra helping of contrast at your photos, or do you do it? It basically makes all your hard work invisible.)

Edited by RobinJI