The Car Thread

MadManMike

I got my false floor yesterday so started drilling that. It's not real carbon as you can tell but it actually looks quite decent in person. I'm raising that up with lots of alu spacers i've got.

20170311_115001_zpseswnce7i.jpg

Today I did quite a lot in terms of wiring prep and other bits and bobs...

Fitted the ABS pump. For those who may have missed it - i'm using this as a speedo pick up

20170312_114507_zpsabmfkhof.jpg

Become a bit of a tart lately and you've got to do things right, got the wire brush wheel on the drill to tidy it up on top as it had corrosion 

20170312_114925_zpshgl7ivee.jpg

Then fitted the lambda

20170312_124235_zpsunea92wc.jpg

Started on the loom properly, had to source the carbon canister wiring and connect a connector and wiring to that for the N75 

20170312_125424_zpspnwggwye.jpg

Tidier? maybe, can't remember why I took this pic hahah

20170312_131644_zpskn0wczru.jpg

Fitted the fuse box, connected that up

20170312_144149_zpslfi060j1.jpg

20170312_145036_zpscilhtetx.jpg

20170312_145657_zpscwgh8dlw.jpg

Then installed the battery junction box and fitted the right ring terminal on the +ve

20170312_152617_zpsxm1dofmq.jpg

20170312_152736_zpssrgppkrb.jpg

20170312_154452_zpsbuffjois.jpg

20170312_160824_zpszk1hd5f1.jpg

20170312_161338_zpsynjjymwv.jpg

Excuse the horrible scratches, must have been from taking the engine out before. I will get them touched up

Taped up some wires some more as not keen on the coloured wires showing

20170312_162552_zps9zgdq06p.jpg

20170312_162559_zpskxoldx8t.jpg

20170312_162606_zpsvf1uflip.jpg

Next plan is to fit the oil cooler, coilpack and plugs , top up with oil and see if it fires up!

So excited now as it's so close.

Bought decent oil tonight along with a new radiator. Not uprating the rad just buying a new one as mine is smashed to f**k so that won't help with cooling. The oil cooler will help massively.

• Like 3

I'd love to have spent more time fitting my engine, cleaning everything properly, but it was a race against time and not in my own garage, so I felt rushed.

I'm happy with it, but the bay could be much cleaner. I think after summer I'll take all the bits off and clean it up with the block in place.

Yours is looking good mate, bet you can't wait for the first start :D

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, dann2707 said:

20170312_114507_zpsabmfkhof.jpg

Become a bit of a tart lately and you've got to do things right

Your words and the clusterf**k of a taped up loom Y-piece seem to conflict... :P

Looking like solid progress again though mate, I'm strangely excited to see you get it up and running and hear how you find it.

40 minutes ago, Luke Rainbird said:

Your words and the clusterf**k of a taped up loom Y-piece seem to conflict... :P

Looking like solid progress again though mate, I'm strangely excited to see you get it up and running and hear how you find it.

Haha that's Renault oem believe it or not.  haven't touched that bit. Cheers!

Coloured wires? On a renault?? Last time I worked on one the bell-ends had just used white for everything, making it a nightmare to fault find. Or is that just the cabin looms? 

I also use the a38 every day, but on a bicycle. In fact I live about half a mile away from it. It's a bloody long road! 

I managed to spend a couple of productive afternoons on the 924 this weekend. Now there's an even bigger hole in it than at the start of the weekend! On the bright side, solid metal has started going back in, and near enough all the rust's not cut out of the passenger side. Also, I made a sheet metal folder, because tools are good. 

DSC_4853.JPG

DSC_4856.JPG

DSC_4879.JPG

DSC_4886.JPG

• Like 3

Good progress Dan, that thing is going to be nuts. 

Never do a soft top replacement, especially in your bedroom. Don't know if my replacement cover had shrunk after years in storage or if you're supposed to fit in whilst inside an oven. It was a hassle. 

DSC_0376.JPG

DSC_0371.JPG

• Like 2

Replaced the new alternator belt with a new alternator belt and it now works properly.

Yes, you did read that right. The first one we fitted a bit too loose, so it polished itself and decided it never needed to grip, ever again... SQUEEEEEeeeeeEEEeeeeeEEEEAL.

Need some help and advice as i am a genuine mong in life. Wired in a simple single horn into the clio, used thick 30amp(iirc) wireing found a beefy (30a) switch. But my concern is will it drain the battery overnight?

My simple wiring is relayless, and ive gone from the positive, to the switch, to a inline fuse (5a), to the horn, so the negative terminal. Will it drain the battery or not? 

The horn works a treat and is nice and loud, no warm wiring or anything, also with the car not running.

EDIT:literally just for the mot, then i dont care if it comes out or not.

Edited by TROYston

2 hours ago, Danny said:

Looking good.  Now move that numberplate back. It doesn't look like it will add much/any flow to the intercooler anyway.

Nowhere near finished yet.. It's for the coolant radiator not the intercooler. Need to make some holes. 

14 minutes ago, CurtisRider said:

Surely the stock grille should be enough? With a new radiator, fresh coolant and a decent fan you should be fine

Heard quite a few people over heating with these conversions so I want to take every precaution really! 

Anyone local to Bristol have an M8x1.25 45mm bolt I can pinch?

Just found a substantial oil leak on the new engine, where I removed the A/C pump - apparently taking that off gives the engine free reign to piss oil out. Great design Mazda, top work lads.

I embark on a 700 mile trip tomorrow, so I'd like to retain oil, if possible...

Does the bolt have to be 45mm long to reach a certain point, or would any M8x1.25 bolt plug the necessary hole? Would certainly open up your options somewhat and make it easier to sort in time. I'm assuming that the 700mi trip is to enjoy the car, so taking the Golf isn't an option?

If I rock up in the Golf they won't let me in. Also I've booked the tunnel and breakdown cover for the Red. And I haven't arranged with work to take the car to Europe (It's apparently not too straight forward if it's personal and not work).

And yeah unfortunately it has to be 45. 40 is too short and 50 leaves the head sticking out a bit.

Screwfix have packs of 50, but I was hoping to source a single one as I don't need 49 spares, lol.

13 minutes ago, CurtisRider said:

Just go to Screwfix you tight git :P

I'm not tight, they're only £3. I just don't want 49 spares laying around!

Luke - I don't have a 50mm and the only cutting tool is an angle grinder, which in a top floor flat is not ideal haha.

I've found a spares place that will probably sell them singularly, so I'll head there in the morning and see.

Bagged myself some wheels for the Coupe for the bargain price of £100.00.IMG_0462.thumb.JPG.863f6a0211a67c18651a701a7162df27.JPG

1996 DC2 Integra Type R OEM items. LOVE these wheels, spent ages trying to find a set of the reps that were available in 4x100 (Manufactured by Sprint) but to no avail... but now I'm running teg hubs... teg wheels! I'll be having them refurbished back in the OEM white too. 

Replacement gearbox this weekend fingers crossed. 

Where can I get a filthy cheap small 12V 14ah+ battery from? I need one for a ride on mower that I'm making into a go kart from my nieces and nephews but ride on mower batteries seem a little bit pricey for their size! What else might have something suitable that I could get for not much money?

Lots of similar batteries on eBay. What's your budget? Whilst going for something more "branded" like an Odyssey will be a bit pricey for a cheap protect, there are plenty of unbranded/Ritar/similar units about for a little less cash. Might even be able to find one second hand if cheap is king. Lawnmower/golf buggy/mobility scooter or even some motorbike batteries would likely fit the bill. 

My budget is basically as little as possible! Ideally £10-15 really, I got the mower for free and I don't anticipate it lasting them a long time at all but it'll hopefully keep going until I have time to finish the proper kart I started building many moons ago! If a mobility scooter battery is suitable then I may have one somewhere, hopefully it's not totally dead...