The Car Thread

MadManMike

If they're sensible money I'd be tempted to put some new engine mounts on the list. It's an ideal time to replace them, and a fresh set can make a very noticeable difference to how the car feels. 

If it's not already been mentioned then a selection of jubilee clips is a good idea, it's horrible having to put a warn out, dying one back on in a spot you know will be a pain to reach later. Also, hopefully you won't need them, but having a set of taps and helicoils to hand can be a life-saver. (preferably including those pesky metric fine threads the Japanese love)

• Like 1

Finally got chance to sit down tonight to update this properly on a laptop.

Made a bit of progress today after work. First of all, I was sick to the back teeth with people dicking me around for the megane shell. They'd say they wanted it, then just completely ignore me.

Actually had a really funny thing where this guy said he wanted it, ensured me to the high heavens he wanted it. He even came massively out of his way to drop off two wheels for me for free so I could move it out of my garage. I then arrange with him and absolutely nothing, just keeps ignoring me over and over and over. So my mate called him for me on a different number to mine and low and behold... he answers. So weird. It wouldn't have been an issue at all if he just messaged me saying no I don't want it, plans have changed. People are very strange.

Anyway, last night I listed the shell on gumtree and some bloke messaged me saying he can pick it up with his hiab lorry. Winner!! I didn't ask for any money for it. Just wanted it gone.

20170217_152948_zpsmzu1tpuk.jpg

20170217_153000_zpsscv6wjek.jpg

20170217_154117_zpsya5mkdne.jpg

So long! It's a massive shame as the shell was pretty mint to be honest. Actually nearly held onto the car.

Made a start with my brake lines on the rear in the week.

The one on the left was my first attempt, ended up getting it wavy and it really stressed me out. Up to a point where I threw my toys out of the pram, turned the lights off in the garage and went upstairs to rant to the Mrs about how badly it was going. It obviously still works etc but I NEED it looking perfect. 

20170213_180218_zpsdellhlmo.jpg

I decided to chill and read online for hints and tips and found a really good idea. My main issue was that when you bend the brake line, you need to know where to bend it to find out where it ends up. It's very hard to explain the issue! But if you get a small offcut of brake line, sharpie a line on it and with your bending tool, bend it where the sharpie is 90 degrees you can then offer that up against your new brake line to be bent. Then you can use this as your template for other bends later on if that makes sense???

I also used a coat hanger to practis/ce on the second attempt which imo made it look much much better!

First attempt bottom, second attempt top!

20170214_142236_zps5ndzuho8.jpg

Using my sexy lil template thing below. Got another one for 45 degree bends

20170214_133940_zpszwaprewa.jpg

I'll redo the other one before the car is ready for sure.

I've started to revamp the engine bay whilst everything is out. New bolts with spec c m6 washers. Meaning m6 bolt hole but wider outer diameter. 

20170217_173339_zps26nhqiyf.jpg

New bolts for the top mounts.

20170217_173335_zpsy2noka7y.jpg

20170217_173327_zpsuayslyqk.jpg

Now back to the inside of the car, it's collecting a metric shit ton of grinding dust, welding sparks, bits of wire and allsorts haha.. Need to clean it soon

20170217_172009_zpsltwywum9.jpg

I wanted to make some dash supports as the dash has always been a bit loose when running just the top bit. Ordered some 15.8mm od alu tubing for a silly price delivered on ebay and sorted that out tonight. Ive attached them to the carbon panels in the dash at the top, and at the bottom i've drilled through and rivnutted the side tunnel of the car. They're absolutely solid now and 100% even either side in terms of angle and length. Pics might not show it though 

20170217_164703_zpsl5f5dsoz.jpg

Can't wait to repaint all the blue bits once the main part is done!

Another piece of the puzzle was to paint the gearbox, done the first coat on that tonight.

20170217_173320_zpseskam5qt.jpg

20170217_174811_zpsybusypab.jpg

All in all it's coming along slowly but surely, just don't really have the time to do things properly in a short amount of time so i'm holding out and doing it taking my time.

Chris (the painter) rang me today to say the paint has reacted on the bonnet :(
Went down to take a look and the supplier had given him the wrong paint (Night Hawk Black instead of Starlight Black) so everything is the wrong color and needs doing again. 

The fabricators over the road from work are also taking the piss to weld my exhaust up for me. Only ended up needing the back box lengthening, two welds, and that would have been job done. Different story when their vans have run out of MOT and we drop everything to make sure theyre done... 

Long story short: 

I miss my Civic, and hate my Peugeot.

Edited by SamKidney

I spoke too soon, the ECU didn't fix the mx-5. The new spark plugs are black again. So it has now had a replacement maf, o2 sensor, engine temp sensor, and a coil pack because I had one lying around. No codes showing on the diagnostic LED. :( Meanwhile I haven't had to replace or fix a single thing on the 740 in about 10 months. Probably cursed it now...

All looking good Dan. It's a shame no one wanted the shell. 

I just finished making the first end of a rollover jig for the 924. Hopefully this thing will make sorting out the rust and remaking the suspension a lot easier. 

I've made it height adjustable so I don't have to jack the car up to a dodgy height to get it onto it, as well as to allow me to drop it down low enough to test fit the engine, as an engine crane won't lift nearly heigh enough to get into the bay with the jig at full height. 

Once I'm done with it on the 924 a couple of my friends will probably use it, then I'll use it on the scirocco, so although its probably more effort than its worth for the relatively small amount of welding the Porsche needs, it should more than justify it's self in the long run. Plus, I really hate welding upside down.

Sadly the car its self still looks like this, hopefully not for much longer though! 

DSC_4767.JPG

• Like 1

Looks good :)

As per comments on Facebook I would also be concerned with the casters canted over on the dropped position. My experience of castors is that any side load destroys them very quickly, last thing you want to do is to have to try to change a castor with the shell attached.

I would mount the castors on a couple of sliding bogies that holds them perpendicular to the floor. You could then very easily fit a number of locking pins at various positions to take the load off the m20 all thread.

I'm sure you are able to interpret my poor explanation but yell if not and I'll knock a solidworks model up to demonstrate :)

Thanks. :) With the casters I do know what you mean, but I can't see any way of keeping them upright without either adding another 4 casters or a lot of extra complication? It'll never be moved while down, and will spend 90% of its time at full height. The casters are rated to almost twice the load that will be on them, so I'll more than likely see how they go as they are. Replacing them would only involve sticking my jack under that side of the frame, or lifting up that end of the car with the engine crane. If you've got an easy(ish) idea for keeping them level that I haven't thought up I'm all ears though? 

It would make it a little more complicated with a couple of extra pivots but no more castors.

Side loading on castors bends the vertical axle (assuming they're not fixed castors) which typically spews the thrust ball bearings all over the floor.

See attached sketch, not quite as nice as solidworks but quicker and easier to manage whilst also colouring in Thomas the Tank Engine with a toddler :D

Plummer block bearings for the bottom pivots would be smoothest but a plain bolt through would suffice.

tmp_26225-DSC_02941409745176.JPG

16 hours ago, Danny said:

But but.. all you do is drink rum?

I can't really argue that point, but it's who I'm drinking it with that's the problem here. We've had friends from Hastings up a couple of weeks ago, friends from London this weekend. We're away next weekend.

My job is more than full time, so evenings are out of the question, too.

Believe me, I'd love to head over there now and crack on with it.

In car related news, I just battled with the most stubborn bird shit I've ever encountered. I thought I was going to have to chisel it off!

16832075_10158183112150587_6208515324127

All clean now though, first time I've washed the car in ages...

16681567_10158183483385587_4865355733092

16807776_10158183483645587_1828019412847

• Like 1