The Car Thread

MadManMike

Loving your work Dan! Really been enjoying following this from LurkTown. 

Dunno if I ever posted this, but it's about to be showtime on the Landy. Capri went last weekend so get some cash to play with, i'm getting very excited... 

15400318_10211331806155055_4800112380978720445_n.jpg.0c55650f378fdabecd04e6bc19610599.jpg

3.9 Rover putting out a WHOPPING 180-ish bhp, running megajolt and EFI, not masses of power but it should be quite fun in something that weighs just over a tonne and had 50bhp new. Bought a reconditioned gearbox which will probably last about two weeks, picked up an overdrive so it's geared to a real-world 140mph (not that I think i'd be able to hold on til that), and building up a stronger rear axle with hardened shafts and an LSD for skids and wheelies. Might convert the 10" single line drums to front discs, or just plumb the remote servo back in, might be sensible.

It's going to be interesting for sure. 

• Like 5

On 03/09/2017 at 2:06 AM, Tom Booth said:

Fkin' caddy broke down yesterday!

So 2 injectors, a fuel pump and a hefty garage bill were rocking again! Shame it'll be going up for sale in a few days as I've fallen out with the thing :lol:

I can't be the only one that doesn't give a shit about project binky??

11 minutes ago, dann2707 said:

Jesus. Makes me grateful for my mechanical engine on the lupo. It's so cheap to run. I just have to look a c unt driving it. 

This. I despise the 306 in every sense other than how reliable it and how little fuel it goes through! 

Mechanical diesel ***. 

But do the guys on turbo-mini's pictures move? I enjoy reading build threads, but I never manage to find time to do it. Sitting down to watch an episode of project binky's easier to find the time for, and easier to relax while doing. (Well, it is for me after having sat at a computer for 9 hours a day at work anyway.) It's largely why I don't post on here or retrorides as much anymore actually, when I get home from work I usually do everything I can to avoid using a computer.

Also, I'm loving the e36, mechanical diesels are definitely the way forwards for cheap run-arounds. As long as you don't mind running around slowly and noisily that is. 

I spent another weekend on the Porsche, now I have an inner sill:

Before (well, part way in actually):

DSC_4853.jpg

After:

DSC_4930.jpg

And I now have a channel/tunnel thingy where the rear axle mount will be welded back in:

There's no before picture, because after I'd cut the rust out there wasn't really anything to show as a before, so here's an after:

DSC_4927.jpg

I should be able to close up the outer sill next time I'm down there. Just need to weld in some sill-stand tubes and buy some more zinc primer.

I'm definitely starting to feel like I'm getting back into a rythum with metalwork again. I hadn't done any real amount for a while until starting this, so it was a bit slow going at first, but I felt like I was back to making good progress today. Hopefully the drivers side will go a bit quicker as a result.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RobinJI said:

But do the guys on turbo-mini's pictures move? I enjoy reading build threads, but I never manage to find time to do it. Sitting down to watch an episode of project binky's easier to find the time for, and easier to relax while doing.

True, but after watching an episode a few months back where in 15/20 minutes they adjusted the front end to line up and arranged some boot lock setup setup I just gave up. If updates came weekly and that was progress I could get on board with that but when it's a month or more for a 20 minute episode of making brackets it's just not interesting to me.

I guess it's just my interest in cars is at an all time low and they're just a vehicle to me so it takes a pretty special build to get me interested.

On 3/1/2017 at 11:29 AM, Wrayvon said:

I must admit, I was starting to think perhaps there was a reason it was stuck down. Once it's running again I'll see how this one gets on (luckily the car came with some spares, so not had to buy anything yet (other than fuel....). If it fails, I'll try some of that instant gasket stuff you suggested.

Cheers! 

Well a couple of weeks on and the new one seems have done the trick! 

Took it for a little spin with a mate on saturday, and it rained. Doh! The Mrs wasn't happy....

_3j9qohKhY2ryLvKcYjQgu76otMaOToCbSV7n1Pn

Also fitted a new plate to it the other day so it's no longer wonky!  Hurrah. 

In other car news, I got a phone call from the Mrs the other when I was on my way home from football after work. The police had turned up at my house and scared her shitless. Long story short some drunken idiot had ripped the wipers off my car whilst it was parked at the station. Great. The good part to the story, is they caught him so he's paying for the replacements! 

Found out the other day before firing the Turbo has in and out play. Did some man maths and going for Megane 250 turbo now. More money to spend but it means the car will be good for 300bhp :D internals can take it well too. Another 20 bhp and I'll be wanting upgrades but I'm not going down that route. Next car for me is an m3 e46 I've decided. 

Edited by dann2707

Clio passed its mot....
Thank f**k

Now the cat to manifold bolts have decided they want to twist, almost to the point of falling off. Going to jubilee clip the whole thing in attempt to keep them in place, i now understand why there was a metal wire wrapping the bolts tight, there when i bought the car...

If i sell it, im getting either a Bentley Turbo R or Chaser jzx100.
Bentley would require finance.

Finally got round to changing the oil and filters on the Ford bus, only a thousand miles over the recommended but I've been busy!

Must congratulate ford on using a paper oil filter in a cartridge housing that can be easily accessed from the top of the engine, so much nicer to change than a screw on.

Now I've got decent oil and filter in there I ought to do an Italian tune up. I gave it a mile or two at 70 in 3rd gear and clouds of smoke billowing later it seems to have cleared the exhaust somewhat. Should I give it another longer thrash or should that be sufficient?

46 minutes ago, forteh said:

Now I've got decent oil and filter in there I ought to do an Italian tune up. I gave it a mile or two at 70 in 3rd gear and clouds of smoke billowing later it seems to have cleared the exhaust somewhat. Should I give it another longer thrash or should that be sufficient?

Longer if you can! 

Can completely transform the way they run all round, for the better. Though if it's already belched a load of smoke out it's probably half way there anyway. 

Short journeys are the modern diesels worst nightmare. EGRs and DPFs coupled with short trips means nothing gets hot enough to burn the carbon/soot deposits off. 

In Civic news, im taking the current broken gearbox situation as a chance to alter a few bits and bobs I wasn't too happy on. 

I spent ages cleaning up my old B16 and it looked the part when it was all together, but never bothered with the K20. So the whole lots coming back out to allow me to clean/paint the block and change a few offending seals and gaskets that are weeping slightly. I've got a new inlet manifold and throttle body I'd like to fit too, which when eventually coupled with a new exhaust manifold and Hondata K Pro ECU should see me reach 230bhp pretty comfortably with a map. 

Im replacing the adjustable front upper camber arms in favor of polybushed OEM items until I feel I need the adjustability. I am however fitting extended lower ball joints to return the roll centres to somewhere more OEM. 

The other Civic (the green one) should be recieving its other rear arch next month. When that's painted I'll be making a decision as to whether I keep it and K swap it or sell it. 

The blue VTI is being scrapped some time this week. 

I still haven't been to collect the Del Sol. 

Edited by SamKidney

13 hours ago, TROYston said:

Clio passed its mot....
Thank f**k

Now the cat to manifold bolts have decided they want to twist, almost to the point of falling off. Going to jubilee clip the whole thing in attempt to keep them in place, i now understand why there was a metal wire wrapping the bolts tight, there when i bought the car...

If i sell it, im getting either a Bentley Turbo R or Chaser jzx100.
Bentley would require finance.

Remember your ranting post before about all the little issues and stuff? This is the pervert example of why you shouldn't bodge cars and sort it properly. Next you'll be complaining "ohhhhhhh myyyy goddddd this piece of shit cars exhaust mounts have broken" cause and effect and all that. Also be worth checking out the recent news article about the couple poisoned by exhaust gas. Do things right for f**ks sake. 

• Like 4