The Photography Thread

mr ailsbury

In view of Mike's comment I'd say that even a good secondhand Canon is going to be better than a Sigma.

Anyone got experience of the Nikon D750? I'm looking for a second body that's lighter and more advanced than my D3. Options really are that or a (probably secondhand) D800. The D810 is too much of a stretch right now - I don't use any of my kit anywhere as near as I should do given how much money I've spent on it. However I have one trip in mind later this year for which I really want a second body.

Pros of D750: newer design, lighter and more compact, better for video(?)

Pros of D800: similar layout to D3, more solid construction

I think really I need to go to a shop and try out a D750. I know that compared to the D200, D300, F100, etc, the D7000 (which the D750 appears to be similar to in terms of construction and size) felt like a plastic toy. However I do remember Joe Maher saying how the D600 (which is also based on this kind of chassis) was a great camera.

Far out one, but has anyone got any Canon FD-fit lenses spare? Think my EF Needs something other than the Vivitar walkabout on the front...

Also, thinking of getting something new for my 550 - anyone got any thoughts on Canon's 50mm f/1.8 prime? Seems decent for 60 quid or so new!

Edited by Skoze

Think I have a canon fd 29mm f2.8 knocking around, that any good to you?

I use the canon 50mm f1.8 a fair bit on my inherited 7d. I really like the images it produces especially for the money, only thing that lets it down is the auto focus can be a little slow for fast moving stuff but I compensate by manual focussing in these cases. Here's some examples I've shot with mine:

10295216_10152760297197935_5981920472640

10857239_10152760297207935_6163080491688

10857116_10152862293652935_5049488816501

10974750_10152916409692935_8314832729799

If it's gong spare Dunc i'd be interested!

Like those a lot, very nice... HAd a little play with one previously and was well impressed for the money, juts weighing up buying one of those for the 550 or being a hero with the EF and treating that to some more appropriate glass... Decisions, decisions.

I've got a 50mm 1.8 and its a cracking little lens. Dont use it that much to be honest. Always handy to have though and it's not that expensive,my have thought about getting rid of mine to get some money to go towards the 70-200 I'm after but then I think it's only 60 odd quid and I think I'd rather have the lens.

Nice one, will add one to the wish list then!

Filter question; what on earth are these called? Is it simply a kaleidoscope filter? Got that and some that are clear one side and break/ repeat the image on the other.

10686689_10206066765772336_8295674341142

Got a couple from my grandad who made a bit of a name for himself with them in the late 70s - would love to get more but have no idea where to begin looking...

Edited by Skoze

I think really I need to go to a shop and try out a D750. I know that compared to the D200, D300, F100, etc, the D7000 (which the D750 appears to be similar to in terms of construction and size) felt like a plastic toy. However I do remember Joe Maher saying how the D600 (which is also based on this kind of chassis) was a great camera.

Still rocking the D600.

Took about 5000 frames since monday... Brits/Elles/Burberry - Shutter must be on well over 200k right now, and its still going strong. Good for the price!! Although i know you cant get them anymore..the 610 replaced it..

Its certainly doesnt feel as good as the better top end models, but then, what do you epxect paying like 1k, 2k ? less..

In terms of picture quality, which is what anyone is after, i certainly cant grumble.

• 2 weeks later...

I've not posted any photos in a while.

Truth is, I shoot loads but get really uninspired and lethargic about sitting in front of a computer editing them. It's the one part of the job where I lack the enthusiasm and to some extent continuity.

Because of that, I started procrastinating in Lightroom looking for ways to group otherwise unrelated photos into Collections and started spotting patterns... Some formed interesting series of the same or similar subjects, or developed themes. It's this process that made me realise I was creating that "Sense of Place" series a while back.

This time round though, I spotted an increasingly frequent use of single point perspective compositions. Maybe I've been watching too many Wes Anderson films. Either way, I'm interested if that's something that appeals to people or if I'm just going off on one! Thoughts?

SPP_grid.jpg

• Like 2

I really like the idea. I'd rather see collections/groups instead of individual images.

Whenever I posted something on my website I used to consider the photo order, size and arrangement really carefully. I think sometimes there's as much to be said about that as there is about the photos themselves, and it can actually be really hard. For example if you are working on book layouts, and you have three pictures on one page, and one on the opposite page, all on the same theme - how do you indeed make the lines, colours etc sympathetic to each other? In this case the single-point perspective works nicely.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's a rough cut from my recent bike trip to Kashmir. At some point there'll be some words to go with it but right now I don't have the time or motivation to finish it all off. All pictures taken using my D3, which seemed to deal with high altitude, sub-zero temperatures, sand, rain and snow far better than I did.

Not completely done yet with processing, plus I keep seeing more dust spots (downside of changing lenses in a sandstorm!), but they'll do for now...

6535P.jpg

6855P.jpg

7336P.jpg

7440P.jpg

7515P.jpg

7747P.jpg

7894P.jpg

8103P.jpg

8153P.jpg

8238P.jpg

8303P.jpg

8358P.jpg